• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Turbo Failure Or Something Else?

johnny01986

I was out last week for a ride in the deuce with my son. Its a 68 Kaiser. We were almost back to the house (luckily), accelerating from an intersection, C turbo was singing it's song until we heard a pop, followed by pew, pew, pew, almost like a waste gate opening on a big truck. The engine was still running, gauges all in normal operation ranges, but a huge amount of black smoke from the exhaust when I got back into the accelerator. Also zero turbo noise. I limp it home and get it parked, and take off the inlet and outlet of the turbo figuring I would find that it had grenaded itself, yet I found nothing out of the ordinary. Turbines spin freely and rotate with the engine idling and there doesnt appear to be any damage. All boots and connections are tight and don't appear to be damaged. I reassembled everything, but still have zero turbo noise or boost. I'm stumped. I don't really want to drop 600 on a repro turbo and find something else is wrong. Do you guys have any idea where else I might look. I did see the marking of an exhaust leak on the bottom side of the #6 exhaust port, but I'm not sure it's bad enough to cause these symptoms. Anyway, thanks in advance. I think she will be out of commission for a bit.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless something managed to break off or otherwise damage the turbine blades on the exhaust side. I don't what else it could have been. The symptoms seem to indicate that the turbo is not really doing anything anymore. For that to be the case I would expect something is damaged on the exhaust side if the shaft is intact. No real expert here...