• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 un-insurable

mactiredearg

...I thought about also getting Gulfway for full coverage (128 a year) when sitting int he driveway or when involved in shows/etc. but they won't cover me when not show related...
I keep hearing folks say Gulfway is parade insurance only. But I've been through the policy and packet I got from them multiple times and even had the snake-in-the-family (lawyer relation) pick through it. Neither of us could find a single word restricting use. Is there some secret handshake needed to get the restriction wording or is this some state by state policy thing?

jarhead1086

Haggerty told me that a carport was unacceptable and so were dirt roads and then they treated me like a criminal when they saw I had 2 speeding tickets. I'll never call them again which is probably what they want. I have my house and cars with State Farm, they just wanted pictures and weight and I have no restrictions where I park it or drive it for $40 something per month.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

Reality is that some sort of 'assigned risk' policy might be your only option for couple of years, as the DWAI has you in
a bad spot. You might try Colorado Farm Bureau Ins.

bs

army70deuce

My 2cents worth, I had a "friend" with a deuce who took it to a buddy's shop took a picture of it in the shop and got haggarty insurance and then parked it in his barn at his farm (no door let alone lock). The insurance keeps you legal for driving, are you really ever going to put in a claim on a $2,500 vehicle made steel, no you're going to fix it yourself and not tell the company anything. This leads me to the question: Has anyone ever put in an insurance claim on a deuce?

stumps

I keep hearing folks say Gulfway is parade insurance only. But I've been through the policy and packet I got from them multiple times and even had the snake-in-the-family (lawyer relation) pick through it. Neither of us could find a single word restricting use. Is there some secret handshake needed to get the restriction wording or is this some state by state policy thing?
I too went through my Gulfway policy from front to back, and it has no restrictions. It is a plain old Travelers commercial truck policy.

Gulfway is trusting you to follow their restrictions on use, even though you are under no legal obligation to do so. Every policy period, they send you a reminder of the restrictions, and check your mileage to see that you aren't racking up too many miles. They word the reminder in such a way as to make you think they are on to your evil ways.

The only way they have of telling if you are cheating on their trust is if you are seen doing so by one of their agents, pick up some tickets, or if you get in an accident. One of the things they tell you when you first sign up is that they reserve the right to visit your vehicle, and to talk to your neighbors about your use of the vehicle.

Their only recourse, should you violate their implied terms is to cancel your policy.

It's an interesting way of doing business. I hope that they continue.

-Chuck

scopionf89

I just got my duce insured threw USAA threw Progressive. 305 a year they also qouted me anouther 50 if i want to by and tow a 19 foot utilitytrailer. I called usaas Genral agency wich is only open monday threw friday their phone number is 1-800-531-0014. I got a discounts for the folowing: military member, CDL, no tickets, no acadents for 3 years, 2 other vehicals insured threw usaa. I was strait up with porgressive told them it was a MV told them I wanted $50,000 in liablity only covarage and they had to by law tack on theft and fire covrage. I told them I would be liceing it for 23,000lb. The agreed value for theft and fire is 7000 with a 500 dolar deductable. I actuly talked to 3 or 4 diferent insurance reps before going to usaa to be a medator. Some said that progressive would insure it some said they would not so if one progressive agent turns you down keep trying they will cover you.

While I was in the rear I had a 18 year old frend that had 2 speeding real bad speeding tickets and a reckless driveing ticect and progressive said they would insure him the qoute he got was 130 a month not cheep but still its do able. It seems that progressives prices are depentent on wich state you have your truck licened in. By having my truck Licened in my home state I saved over a hunder bucks over what it would have been in GA. My home state is ID.

gaspain

did mine with USAA, took 5 minutes.

I gave the gal the Vin and nothing came up, so she asked me what truck it is and the original value. $86,000 :) lol, in '71. Was a water tanker, now a bobber.

for liability its about $15 for 1000miles a month. Full coverage is $50'ish.

Ask around with agents you say?

I just got off the phone with progressive thru nationwide.
19 with 1 each speeding ticket and at fault accident.
Payment plan is 4,052 a year
Paid in full is 3,658 a year

Sounds PRETTY high if you ask me. But u say I mint be able to get cheaper by cruising around agents? possibly going straight to progressive?

Btw, they listed it as a "construction" vehicle, told them it was a 70's AMG or Kaiser Jeep M-35A2 "basically a large flatbed, 23000lbs GVW, military used it as a cargo truck" is what I told them. They quoted me for a commercial policy

(as of 9pm)
Freind of mine called up his agent with State Farm for me to talk to, commercial policy, $89 a month, I think I like state farm, lol

I told them I do not yet own the vehicle and they were actually rather happy to work with the general info i could give them on the type of vehicle

Last edited:

prattcobra

did mine with USAA, took 5 minutes.

I gave the gal the Vin and nothing came up, so she asked me what truck it is and the original value. $86,000 :) lol, in '71. Was a water tanker, now a bobber.

for liability its about $15 for 1000miles a month. Full coverage is $50'ish.

Do you have to be in the Military to use usaa?

KsM715

My 2cents worth, I had a "friend" with a deuce who took it to a buddy's shop took a picture of it in the shop and got haggarty insurance and then parked it in his barn at his farm (no door let alone lock). The insurance keeps you legal for driving, are you really ever going to put in a claim on a $2,500 vehicle made steel, no you're going to fix it yourself and not tell the company anything. This leads me to the question: Has anyone ever put in an insurance claim on a deuce?

So in other words your buddy is de-frauding the insurance co.

What happens when he smacks an $80,000 merc. and his insurance co crawls up his ass with a fine tooth comb and finds out he bs'd them to get "legal" and they cancle him. Insurence on most of these trucks is to cover someone else when you hava an accident, not to cover your own truck.

jollyroger

Good job. Way to be persistient.

How much did they ding you for the DWAI if you don't mind me asking? It might be good for everyone to be reminded of how much it costs to make a mistake like you did.

I know other people that got a DWAI and they will NEVER do it again. The overall costs of time, money etc. are just too great.

Then I also have known guys that had 4 DUI's and finally went to County for 6 months before they sort of wised up. So I would say take it seriously and it sounds like you are.

One guy I know had been with his insurance company for almost 20 years, had multiple vehicles with them and his house and they immediately dropped him on his car insurance. Of course they wanted the rest of his business.

Also you have got to be careful in the small mountain towns. Once you get a reputation it is almost impossible to lose it unless you move away or the police move on to another location. Even if you hang out in the bar all night drinkin' Coke A Cola's now you will be seen as that guy. Best thing to do is avoid the drinking establishments or always be a rider.

Darwin T

Why Commercial plates????

Why did you get commercial plates? is there a weight limit in your state? in Texas the limit on commercial is 26,500 gross, even with my M109a3 (weight 15,940 pounds plus 10,000 pounds rating on the highway that is only 25,940) but i do have farm plates on it. however my M35a2 is 13,400 plus 10,000 hwy i just have regular plates the i pick up last friday 10/01/10.

i also have state farm for both trucks. added the second one in august, but, can't remember how.

:driver:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i also have state farm for both trucks. added the second one in august, but, can't remember how.

:driver:
Do you remember how much the m35a2 costs you? I got a quote for $60 a month and they'd only do it as a "pleasure vehicle". I just went elsewhere to get a quote.