• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 v A3v H1 V Suburban v Excursion in deep snow and mud?

alfred10

How good is the Deuce in deep snow, mud, and off road? What would win if you tested the M35A2 and A3 side by side? How about the Deuce vs a Chevy Suburban, Ford Excursion, Hummer H1, or Jeep cherokee? How deep of snow can these get through? Im wondering if this would go up the high way through two feet of snow?

shannondeese

I was pushing through 3 foot of snow a couple of weekends ago pulling an F250 4x4 behind me. This was on dirt roads through the Tehachapi mountains. He is running new 35" MT's too. He just couldn't get through so I tugged him along. It was great.

roady

I was pushing through 3 foot of snow a couple of weekends ago pulling an F250 4x4 behind me. This was on dirt roads through the Tehachapi mountains. He is running new 35" MT's too. He just couldn't get through so I tugged him along. It was great.

Did you get any pictures of that? That would be sweet to see.

Nonotagain

The A3 will go better in the snow in stock form than the A2 with no additional weight in the bed. The load area on the 14.00 singles digs down to pavement, while the duals on the A2 float on top. Add 2 tons to the bed of either the A2 or A3 and both are about equal.

As for the Hummer vs the Suburban vs the Jeep; my Suburban has part time 4 wheel drive and posies in both front and rear axles. With stock 265/75X16 Uniroyal Larado's, not a very agressive tire goes thru 24 inchs of snow with no problems.

The key to driving in snow is giving yourself plenty of distance for stopping as well as keeping yourself from getting into a position where you need to get started from deep snow.

My 78 Scout Terra with Detroit lockers and mud tires also goes great in the snow, just that any other driving rattles your teeth.

Biggles

comparing a deuce to a suburban, excursion, cherokee, or anything else is kinda like comparing apples to watermelons. The deuce is so much bigger it's not in the same league. sure the deuce can drive through a mud hole without engaging the front axle that would bury a jeep so deep you wouldn't be able to open the doors. but as soon as the trail turns right the jeep simply follows while the deuce has to cut down trees and make a new road or something. They are no even close enough to compare.

B3.3T

In deep snow, just the ground clearance alone of the Deuce would easily give it the edge. Similar with the Pinzgauer and Unimog. With their high clearance and Portal Axles, deep snow is no problem.

pyrogod117

but as soon as the trail turns right the jeep simply follows while the deuce has to cut down trees and make a new road or something. They are no even close enough to compare.
What's wrong with making your own trail? It's awesome when you can just step on the gas and almost everything in front of you "bows down" for you.

alfred10

Do all the wheels turn all the time on the m35A2? Which would be better in the mud and snow if the A2 and A3 had the same tires.

alfred10

I think most trucks suck in the snow. My buddies F150 with larger tires doesnt seem to have enough rear weight. The 2010 escaldes and suburbans dont look like they have enough ground clearance to save teir life. I just took an S10 blazer with really good snow tires and was stuck in 6-8 inches of snow. I think its easier to plow through a drift than to start and stop in deep snow. How deep of snow can an M35A2 with stock tires and one with super singles drive constantly (start stop) through? Maybe I would be better off with a lifted CUCV?

tucson john

:lol:I dont know about a M35A2, but my m211 will move through two feet of snow pretty constant, and will stop and go as well. your problems wont really be with depth as long as you dont high center, it will be with hardness and tempeture. I have tried to pull out a high centerd jeep wrangler with my M211 from a stanstill and had all the tires spinning on 4 inches of snow! Until I took up a little slack and gave a littlj jerk was I able to pull it out. Yhe temp. was around 20 degrees. Two weeks later I pulled another truck( a FordF350 4x4 crew cab) out of the same spot even worse stuck, from a dead stop ,no jerk,in 10 inches of snow! The temp that day was in the 40s. and the ground wasnt frozen underneath. I became a big believer in chains and keep it chained up on the ranch every winter just to spare me the hassle of ever getting stuck no matter what the snow or ice. Its paid off. Believe me, I have walked MILES through deep snow to get back to the headquarters to get a slow and cold tractor to pull my duece out of some meadow or canyon I got stuck in while feeding cattle in freezing weather!( my wife WASNOT happy either, she hates driving that tractor!)

Bighurt

In snow you have two options regardless of vehicle;

Tall narrow tires, works better for heavy vehicles that can't meet the second option. Tall tires allow the vehicle to push through deep snow and grab a solid base. They are tall enough to provide ground clearance. This option only works to a point.

Tall wide tires, aired down this gives a larger foot print and allows the vehicle to float on the top of the snow. This is completely dependent on weight, there is a particular weight to sq inch of contact that is required to allow the vehicle to float.

The second option is favored by a ton of glacial explorers, some are pretty cool.

The second option is also used in agricultural spray equipment many years ago and a whole slew of desert rig equipment. All in order to provide surface area. Bigfoot's terra tires where for just this purpose.

alfred10

How much are chaines? How fast can you go with them? Will a Deuce with chaines and regular tires go better than one with super singles? Can you do 2 feet of snow with an A2 with regular tires?

alfred10

Its not worth it to me to have a 4wd if its like the ones in these videos. The marginal benefit that I would get over a sadan would not be worth it. Actually shocked when looking at these

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ3AASnXq3c[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCara9k5FxY[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7AV7ZXXX0I[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULZfgJ6YGKs[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_SfJYi-_cQ[/media]

Might as well have this lol
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3o0qdW6dvc[/media]

alfred i can tell you never drove in the snow . these guys in the vids are just playing if your serious about geting around in the snow .you need lots of clerance and chains. the only place in these vids that a singled deuce with chains might not go is where the little truck slid of the trail. and that only depends on how deep the snow is there. ive seen a little bronko with big tires drive ontop of 4 ft drifts.he broke through and hung up but it still was impressive . i drove around the drifts and pulled him out with a fully chained deuce.chains should be about 100$ a set put them on tight and you can go as fast as the road conditions will let you.and a 2 wheel drive car it would be lucky to move at all in any of those conditions unless it had winter tires or chains.

Last edited:

alfred10

comparing a deuce to a suburban, excursion, cherokee, or anything else is kinda like comparing apples to watermelons. The deuce is so much bigger it's not in the same league. sure the deuce can drive through a mud hole without engaging the front axle that would bury a jeep so deep you wouldn't be able to open the doors. but as soon as the trail turns right the jeep simply follows while the deuce has to cut down trees and make a new road or something. They are no even close enough to compare.
How do the differnetials work on an M35A2? Did they change at all throughout the years? Does anything lock?