• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 vs 813a1 ??

Trudge

i owned a bobbed duece b4 and i loved it..had to sell it :(

sooo im looking to replace it and i cant decide wether to get another duece or go with a five ton......

the duece was a good size for me, but id like to have the cummins and power steering that the 813 has.....im worried that the 5 ton will be too big for what i want to do once its bobbed...iv never seen one next to a duece so as to compare size...

also worried about what the 5 ton would do for fuel consumption.....got to be sooooome what practicale....

ANY AND ALL opinions on the matter will be MUCH appriciated!!!!!

91W350

Five ton has the same cab, you are bobbing, so the length is up to you. The five ton is a few inches wider and a lot heavier. They have some serious iron deposits in their differentials!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i always think its funny when people worry about fuel economy when talking about large military vehicles. Its never going to be good. When mine is empty I fill it up. Thats my fuel economy. LOL

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 5-ton is big. You don't realize how small a deuce is until you park it beside a 5-ton. I searched for some pics of a deuce parked beside a 5-ton but came up empty. I sold my 5-ton or I'd take a pic myself.

CobraCDR

With the deuce you're fine with a regular license, if you step up to the 5 ton, you will need some level of CDL. Not sure if fuel is a concern, but the deuces are 7-8 mpg and 3-4 for the 5 tons. Both are great vehicles, just depends on what you want and how you plan on using it. There is always the popular answer of "get one of each"... that tends to final solution in a lot of cases. Either way, enjoy what you get!

Last edited:

Truckoholic

Here are my two Deuces parked next to my M813. My M813 gets about 6 miles per gallon. Don't have my Deuces registered and insured yet, so I can't compare fuel mileage. The power steering on the 5 ton is nice, but I find that the ride is so dang rough, and that it doesn't want to get up and go as quickly as my Deuces do, so I just enjoy driving the deuces quite a bit more even though they don't have power steering. In fact my M35A2 with the winch, I am going to register fully as a privately used commercial vehicle so that I can drive it pretty much as a daily driver, but do not plan on driving the 5 ton more than just a few times a month probably. Don't get me wrong, I love my 5 ton, it just seems like so much more of a production to go somewhere in it, whereas the M35's are just like getting in my pickup. Then again, I spend all day Monday through Friday driving a 64 foot long 80,000 pound logging truck, so anything smaller than that feels like a Geo Metro to me.

32.jpg IMG_20110924_144506.jpg IMG_20110924_144432.jpg

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

As said before , the 5 ton gets around 6 mpg, I drove mine from stockton nj , to fort drum and back, and the milage worked out to 7,3 mpg, but drove 45 -50 mph to whole way,
My deuce gets around 9 - 11 mpg on a mix of diesel and atf, I like my deuce, but i love my 813a1.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks