• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 vs. M35A3 In Snow and Ice

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have about 10 inches of snow on ice here. I have a lot of experience driving M35 trucks with conventional NDTs in winter conditions, both in the U.S. and in Germany while stationed with the 3rd Armored Division in 1970-71. I have owned my own M35A2 for over a year now and just recovered a new M35A3 last Monday. I have been out playing in the snow today in both trucks (sorry, no photos). The A2 did reasonably well in the snow, and much better with chains as I remember from my Army days. However, comparing the A2 and A3 in the snow is like comparing apples and oranges. The A3 is substantially better in the snow and on ice than the A2. I could not stick the A3. Most of the time I didn't need the front axle engaged. The Allison transmissiion also helped the A3 as it is smoother starting off.

The difference was so significant, I immediately parked the A2 and continued playing with the A3. I drove it to town and found a hill that a Ford F-250, GMC pickup and a Jeep Wrangler couldn't climb as the snow had compacted to ice. All were 4X4 with limited slip rear axles on the pickups (don't know about the Jeep). I went up the hill with zero slippage. I then went down the hill with no slippage. I then re-climbed the hill with the front axle disengaged and had some minor slippage but still made it up the hill.

I then found a large parking lot and practiced donuts on the ice with the A3. Not much fun as it didn't slide very well. I came back with the A2 and slid all over the place. If you WANT to slide around a lot, use the A2! After returning home, I found a hill with a 3-foot drift at the bottom. I didn't try it in the A2, but the A3 simply pushed on through and climbed up the hill.

Obviously, the key difference is in the tires. I still have a problem, however, as I really like both trucks. I really prefer the A2 on the highway over the A3 for the stability and higher top speed.

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

My Mom lives in Hiawassee GA where it says you are from. But shes the smart one, shes staying with me this winter due to you all are having crappy weather up there. I showed her this and she said if she ever needs to go to the store she will call upon you and your trucks. lol
I told her to just take one of my deuces up there. Yeah right, Shes 84 and cant get into my Hummer let alone a Deuce. lol
Just be safe up there in the cold.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Mom lives in Hiawassee GA where it says you are from. But shes the smart one, shes staying with me this winter due to you all are having crappy weather up there. I showed her this and she said if she ever needs to go to the store she will call upon you and your trucks. lol
I told her to just take one of my deuces up there. Yeah right, Shes 84 and cant get into my Hummer let alone a Deuce. lol
Just be safe up there in the cold.
If your mother ever needs help up here, just let me know. I'm about 10 miles northeast of Hiawassee at a fairly high altitude, so we get more snow and usually a lower temperature than in the city. We were supposed to get another 7 - 10 inches of snow, but it didn't come. We are having ice pellets fall right now, and that is supposed to continue throughout today and all day tomorrow, but who knows. The temperature is 29 deg. right now, so your mother is in a better place, unless you like the cold. If you ever come up for a visit, send me a PM.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get your tire chains from?? I am looking for a set to keep around for these kind of days.

Were you in high or low for the hill climb? how many sets of tire chains were you running on the A2? did you have tire chains on the A3?
My post was a little misleading. I don't have any chains for my A2 or A3. The tire chains I mentioned were from years ago when driving M35s in the Army in Germany. By the way, they are a real pain to put on in freezing weather! In the Army I only put chains on one set of duals in the rear as that was normally all that was needed and that was all I could stand to do. I always wondered why you don't see chains for deuce wheels for sale as surplus. When I was in Germany, every deuce had a set of chains - they were everywhere.

I was in high range when I climbed the hill over the snow drift in the A3.

Last edited:

Pooch1128

Well I don't know about snow or ice, but I can tell you that in Florida sand, mud and swamp our A3 with super singles are much, much better than our old A2, and I agree the Allison trans make alot of difference. On a bad forest fire two days ago I was able to follow a dozier though a swamp area after in was plowed with our A3 in high range with front diff. in.

M1key

Tire chains

IF anyone is interested in chains, check the classified ads.

SS member 4052 has NOS 1100x20 chains for $74.90 a pair with shipping!

I ordered 3 pairs for my duce with 900x20s. I have to cut about 1.5' off the length but they are HEAVY DUTY.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As this old thread was bumped thought I'd mention about chains for super singles. They weigh 100 pounds per tire, at least the ones from the military do.

22 recently came up for sale, and it was take all and I decided to pass mostly because I didn't have the room to store them. I imagine they're a pain to install too, but that's just my feeling.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read the manual for my A3 and understand how to engage the front differential, I think. Is there a specific order in which which things must be done? I am afraid of messing something up.
Always engage the front axle with the truck stopped. Never use the truck with the front axle engaged on dry hard-surface roads.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a certain order to engage? Put in neutral or stop, lower lever, flip switch then drive her or what?
I just flipped the switch, while stopped and drove. Keep in mind who would be expected to drive the truck in the first place. If there's not a warning plaque about it somewhere, it's probably gonna be bulletproof.

ToddJK

NDT's are horrible in the winter. My old deuce had the NDT's and living in MI, we get a fair share of snow. Almost felt like driving with ice skates on. With my current deuce, the Michelin 395's are absolute beasts in the snow. Last winter I had no issues at all, barely any sliding at all. Even when driving the seasonal roads on state land, no issues and only once was 6 wheel needed, that was driving through some deep ruts and going over some downed bushes. I think both trucks are very capable, but ultimately it comes down to tires. Super singles with good tread will beat duals every time. The skinny treaded tire always gets more traction in snow before a wider treaded tire or duals and having some extra weight definitely helps as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks