• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2, What fuel to use?

zeisshensoldt

I just purchased my first deuce (m35a2), so I'm fresh and new to all of this. Basically, I'm wondering what would be the most cost effective fuel to use since diesel prices are so high right now. I was reading and trying to understand the process of creating biodiesel, but unfortunately it appears to be a complex and expensive task in itself. Is there anything I can just dump in the tank (that will still be cheaper than diesel and easily acquirable) without spending truckloads of money on filtering equipment and chemicals?

Josh

Spend 200to bucks on a good filtering system and get WMO. first tank of fuel pays for the filtering system. Can be a pain, but its oh so worth it. Also, pretty much if it burns it goes in the tank.

zeisshensoldt

So it's safe for the motor, etc. to just dump 50 gallons of wmo in? Any recommendations on a filtering system?

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of threads on this site that go into this. Start in Alternative Fuels forum and do some reading. I am just getting ready to run my first WMO. I can't speak for anyone else, but my plan is to start out running a 50/50 mix of WMO and diesel. Two things to keep paramount. The first is clean fuel. I am filtering my WMO to 1 micron and using a water filter. Start with clean oil! Don't take anybodies mix of gear oil, water, antifreeze and glop!!! Then think about temperatures. If you are driving in North Dakota in the winter, you are going to have to heat your fuel. Also think about what happens when the tax police stick your tank. They want their road tax on every gallon that hits the road. Usually you pay you road tax at the gas station, it's included in the price at the pump. Most states have a method of self reporting the use of untaxed fuel. It will keep you out of a world of hurt to keep track of and pay the few cents per gallon of state and federal tax. The penalties are harsh. Good luck and keep the SS's up to date on your OD journey. Feedback makes this site work.

eagle4g63

As long as it IS a M35A2 like you say, than yes it will run on just about anything that burns. I guess it might be a little easier to list what they WON'T run on:p. Anyway I happen to be a cheap a$$ and I only filter to 5 micron(some times 10) this is just me and what I don't mind doing.....the stuff at the pump is only 10 micron. I have upgraded the filters on my truck and I do carry extra filters at ALL times for it...so if I have to change a filter it is no biggie. I also know where my oil comes from....so NO JUNK. You will find a wealth of info on different rig ups, mine is a simple Napa filter base with a fuel filter(same base I upgraded the primary on the truck to)

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree Eagle that 1 micron is overkill. I just use that because I wanted to use the Cot filter, because it has a heated head which evaporates water. They only offer that filter with 1 micron elements. I am sure that a 5 or 10 micron filter is fine.

I just want to emphasis that using cheap fuel is fine, if you make sure it is filtered and free of water. If you have to replace the IP, that fuel doesn't look free anymore! Water will blow the end right off of injectors and dirt or grit will wear out a an injection pump and injectors in short order. Ash and contaminants in used lubes can deposit sludge in the injection lines. Throw a little ATF in the tank and it will loosen up all that sludge, then you do have a mess. Anyhow, you have to love these multi fuel engines!

Josh

My Hydraulic head just went bad, I'm assuming to my random fuel uses. 1700 gallons of Freeish and questionable fuel vs. 350dollar part. Still came out way ahead.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may catch some heat for saying this but pump deisel fuel seems to work pretty good for me, NO complicated filtering, NO centerfuge conglomeration, NO plugged filters and its always ready for me when I need it, and last but not least NO fines for not paying road tax on my fuel, I dont run the Dueces enough to ever pay for all the filtering and messing around and I dont have the time to keep replacing filters when I find out mu latest concotion does not work!
KK

Z71

I think that bypassing the fuel density compensator on the Bosch injection pump on a multifuel engine is a good idea if you want to use biodiesel as fuel. I actually bought a kit someone sold for this purpose, but I never installed it. Any thoughts on this? Would I benefit from this mod with regular pump diesel?

I believe that using off road diesel may be illegal in an M35A2 if driven on state roads?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I believe that using off road diesel may be illegal in an M35A2 if driven on state roads?
And you would be correct Sir.

Running alternative fuels and tax issues go hand in hand.

My position is that anything I put in the tank other than taxed fuel is an "additive" to extend the fuel milage of my purchased (and taxed) fuel.

Off road fuel is dyed to assist law enforcement in finding tax cheats and as long as there is no dye in a fuel tank I think they would be hard pressed to make a case against someone.

Of course if you have "Alternative Fueled Vehicle" or "Powered by Free Fuel" plastered all over your vehicle you may invite attention.

I run a mix of on road diesel and gasoline, WMO and WVO in my work deuce.

Your milage may vary.

eagle4g63

Hey wreckerman, I know you run gas and what not like I do...my question is this gas is suppose to get the worse mileage but......when mixed with oil do you notice any difference in mileage over mixing with diesel? As in is one better than the other(gas here is almost $1 less a gallon)

Hope I am not jacking the thread.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hey wreckerman, I know you run gas and what not like I do...my question is this gas is suppose to get the worse mileage but......when mixed with oil do you notice any difference in mileage over mixing with diesel? As in is one better than the other(gas here is almost $1 less a gallon)
You can run vaious mixtures depending on temp. I use the gas to thin the mixture out and add diesel for more heat.

When you add Used Motor Oil to gasoline you are basically replacing heavy oil that is removed during the refining process......you are making a sort of diesel fuel.

Everybody has an a opinion on mixture but I have ran 50/50 WMO/gas and had very good luck.

If you get the gas for 3.20 a gallon and mix free WMO with it you fuel price is 1.60 a gallon (maybe a little more if you figure your labor for getting the WMO).

When I run veggie I use the gas to thin the veggie and add some diesel for extra heat.

I only run veggie in hot weather to prevent thickening in the tank when the truck isn't running.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I saw on a friends truck just don't blend Wmo and Wvo as is seems to make a wax like film on the filters and not much can passes through.

eagle4g63

I've ran almost anything I can get but just wasn't sure as to the "gas" mileage, I usually go to diesel for my "thinner" but noticed gas prices around me have dropped and diesel has stayed the same or went up slightly. That's why the question: now that winter is setting in here I need to thin my mix a little more than in the summer and don't want to pay almost a $1 a gallon if I won't notice too much of a mile per gallon difference. I drive mine everyday so that price difference can get me an extra 3 to 5 gallons for the same price every time I fill it(not a lot but that's every week to week and a half) Besides that would cover the cost of my fuel heaters use(I have a separate tank for just diesel for them) for the winter.

1970amgeneral

fuel mixture?

Hey guys I'm new here and to these trucks. my truck has the Hercules multi fuel diesel engine and I live in western Oklahoma
a where its on average about 104 degrees. what is the best mixture for my truck ? I'm not concerned on fuel mileage since I don't drive it everyday. just concerned about longevity of the engine.

3dAngus

Longetivity, = Diesel

There are inherent risks in using anything else, depending on who does the work, what the mixture is, and what is the final quality, of which product.

That's why I'm not interested in the challanges of WMO/WVO mixtures, and reserve that for worse case scenario, which I hope never occurs in my lifetime. Your maintenance costs will be less as long as you burn up the fuel and don't leave the diesel in there for to long, like over six months, where biodiesel can start to gel up and turn various colors, depending of if your tank is aluminum, steel, or plastic.

I salute those who do use the various mixtures. It's just not me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks