• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 winch shear pin sizes

hbranchcreek

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHey guys,since this just happen to me I thought I would share this to help others. There are some undersized pins being sold by venders. I don't no the exact diameter they should be but maybe someone else will. These pins will break prematurely this has happen to me. I hope I did the pics rite for comparison hope it helps. Never put a steel pin in it take 5 minutes to replace even if your bumper is under water been there. If a cable brakes you may not make it home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your hole looks oblong.

There are some undersized pins being sold by vendors. I don't no the exact diameter they should be but maybe someone else will.
What diameter are the pins that you are saying are incorrect sized? Who are these vendors?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, how can you accurately say they were undersized?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From your pictures, I would suggest your shaft is damaged beyond use (causing your shear pins to fail).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see two different looking pictures. are those two different pins?

Where were they purchased? Were the advertised as OEM pins?

Is your hole perfectly round?

Is your hole the original size(could it have been drilled out)?

Without some accurate measurements and specific info, a conclusion is impossible to make.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think he has a point - give him a chance. But it would be helpful to have a more accurate size, of the two different pins being shown. A Caliper dimension, would be helpful, and to know the correct diameter pin size. I think many of us have had experience where stuff has been peddled as being good "fits", but its not really!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I have to measure them is a tape measure not very accurate but they look like a 1/4 in.
Definitely not 1/4".
Original size is Ø9/32" (= 7.1mm). Many winch shafts & yokes have been drilled to Ø5/16" (= 7.9mm) at the time of depot-rebuild. I have found some to even allow for a 8.0mm pin diameter.
To improve shear strength a snug fit is always better than fitting too loose.

G.

w3azel

I just ordered a set from a vendor. They specify to be the new correct winch shear pins so I will certainly check to see how they fit. If their correct Ill list them for others, if not Ill contact the vendor so they can fix it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without any specifics(vendor and measurements), how is this helpful?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, just to clarify.

You bought shear pins from a Vendor.

They sold you 1/4" dia aluminum pins.

In the first post you said "vendors", are you aware of more than one vendor that is selling incorrect pins?

Lastly, when you say "vendor", are you referring to a vendor(s) on Steel Soldiers?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what they use 1/4" pins for.

Did they have an NSN# on them or the packaging?