• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 wiring harness upgrade

Bigtexasduce

guys I'm curious if anybody's put in a painless wiring harness on a duce. I started working on mine and I'm at the point where I need to fix the wiring I am Not sure if I should go original or if I should go with a universal kit to get fuses please let me know what y'all think and if anybody has done this I would like to know how hard it was.I am leaning towards buying a universal kit Thanks

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce is spelled Deuce not "duce".

NOS harnesses are still available so I do not see why somebody would want to put something else in that may not work. I would just keep it original but that is just my opinion.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I get the value of painless harnesses for street rods and such, where none of the original vehicle's gauges, ignition or general electrical system will be reused. Bu for our purposes, a brand new harness for $310 is an absolute no-brainer.

A harness that has all the circuit #s on it, everything is the right length, etc.

The work you'd have to put into a painless harness to make it work, i.e. doing away with stuff it has you don't need and creating circuits you need that it doesn't have, make it essentially worthless.

If a new correct harness was expensive, it might be different.

Edited to add: I've replaced several harnesses. Not a big deal. I don't find the lack of fuses an issue and the military must have been happy, since the kept the M44 series for 60+ years.

Last edited:

Crush36

I would like to know where to get a new front wiring harness? . I'm doing a lot of work on my M35A2 so I should probably replace mine.

I started my M35A2 renovation project last weekend, I have the interior stripped and sanded everything down and I'm going to spray the interior with tan bed liner, I have all new gauges,switches,covers,data plates for the interior. I have the spay on bed liner for the bed I hope to spray this weekend and I will redo the troop seats. I also have all 3 spin on filter adaptors for the engine from John Tennis. I have 2- 100 gallon transfer tanks for the front of the bed so I will shorten the troop seats about 2 feet in the back. I was planning on spraying the exterior with a spray on bed liner in Desert Tan since I already bought the material and bought the tan bed cover already but would like to know if any one had any suggestions or problems if they have done this before?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a harness from Erik's when I redid my Deuce and it worked just fine. I did have to jumper the fuel pressure switch wires due to my truck did not have a pressure switch. Do not remember the wire numbers.

Bigtexasduce

Well guys I am back at the duce again. I bought a harness and it they said it is for the m35a2 but it is missing the flasher plug and the turn signal plug. About to go off on the people who said it was a direct fit. Has anyone had this issue? I have another harness that is for a 5 ton as well and it has the right turn signal stuff but the rest of the harness is not right. Not sure what to do here. So advise would be great. I can not understand why the harness is like it is. Did they change the flasher and turn signal at some point?

Big Z

Yes....the cheap harnesses are not a miracle bargain. They are not for the A2 without added DIY work; I had this problem on an ebay harness a few years ago. M35 gasser I think? Can't remember.. I think I wound up going through Erik's to get a true fit. If you wanted to do the work yourself you can check out the wiring diagram in the stickies. I would recommend saving/printing a copy; I referred to it frequently when rewiring my deuce.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well guys I am back at the duce again. I bought a harness and it they said it is for the m35a2 but it is missing the flasher plug and the turn signal plug. About to go off on the people who said it was a direct fit. Has anyone had this issue? I have another harness that is for a 5 ton as well and it has the right turn signal stuff but the rest of the harness is not right. Not sure what to do here. So advise would be great. I can not understand why the harness is like it is. Did they change the flasher and turn signal at some point?
Because the person who sold it either didn't realize you had an A2, or they were not knowledgeable enough to know that they had an M35/M35A1 harness, or just didn't care that they were selling you the wrong thing.

Over the years, tons of surplus M35A1 harnesses have flooded the market and they're appealing because they're cheap. But as you found out, they aren't the same. They were old enough that they didn't have turn signal provisions and there are probably some other minor differences (bet they don't have the wiring plug for the air shift switch light).

I'd return it and buy the right one. You can modify yours to work, but by the time you purchase the cannon connectors to add the turn signal switch and the relay and then all the packard connectors and your time, you'll be in it for way more than the hard to find correct A2 model.

Bigtexasduce

Well I got it all straightened out. I talked to the supplier and explained they sold me the wrong one and that the rep said it would work. Another rep helped me and said he didn't know there was a difference. He pulled the harness and compared it to the later model and then he seen the difference as well. Long story short I got the right harness for $280. It is worth it to get. Started to put in in and it is going good. Thanks for all the responses.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
$280 is a good price for the correct A2 harness.

saddamsnightmare

October 30th, 2015.

When you're working on a deuce, only deuce parts will work right. If Eastern Surplus didn't have it I would have pointed you to the McKivetts at White Owl Parts in Kinston, NC. If they don't have it, you probably don't need it and they will always take great care of you.

Have a Great Halloween!:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks