• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 with 5.9 Cummins 13spdoverdrive trn.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I posted a thread about a 5.9 Cummins in a deuce, I got e-wedgied by 5 or so Steel Soldiers over it. Be careful what you post! ;)

CCATLETT1984

beau, can you take a few pics of the turbo setup, esp the tube going into the intake. pm me if you like or post them here.

This post is fine, since its his deuce to sell, MD very different than what you were doing.

beaubeau

OK guys! The truth is out. I have 2 97 Dodge 5.9 with 5spd tranny. I was seriously going to install 5.9 in deuce with a 13spd I have. It is not that hard to do, considering I am going to Bob the Deuce. The more I thought about the switch the more I thought it was wrong. I like the Multifuel because of all the alternative fuels I have been using.UIt runs Great and starts good. So I will keep the Multifuel and I will put a 13spd. in the Deuce, seeing I must pull the tranny because Overdrive is BAD!!! I shall post Pics when it is in Progress!!This truck will be for Sale when finished. Phil

beaubeau

Hello Citizensoldier! Yes the 5 spd will bolt to a 4bt Cummins. My son, "NHDIESEL", has installed a 4BT Cummins into a 1999 Dodge Durango with the same 5spd tran. U can bolt a 5spd from a Deuce to it also is U have the universal Bell housing. There may be the issue of using the Dodge Adapter, not totally sure. U can check on NHDIESEL, I think he posted his Work on here. Good luck, Phil

citizensoldier

Thanks.. I have a 4BT that I want to put in a M37.. I thought maybe that would be a good trans for the swap.. Is it very big and bulky? Got pictures of one? Just doing some early measuring and wondered how long that trans is and if I can make it fit in the M37 tunnel without to much trouble..

nhdiesel

Pretty much any trans can be used behind a 4bt, using various adapters. My 4bt came with a Chevy adapter, so most GM transmissions would bolt up. It had a TH475 (commercial version of the 400) behind it. There are also Ford adapters. The Dodge flywheel housing bolts right up- the 4bt and 5.9 are essentially the same motor except for length. You can also find SAE adapters to use commercial transmissions, such as Roadrangers and the Deuce's Spicer.

The Dodge 5-speed (NV4500) isn't a large transmission compared to many of the other alternatives. I don't have experience with the M37, but I think the NV4500 would most likely fit in quite well. If you use a 2wd NV4500 with a divorced transfer case, the trans is actually pretty short. I have one on hand and could post pics and dimensions if you want. I was given (no kidding) a good one out of an early 90's GM truck. Its a 2wd with the rare granny 1st gear. I don't know what its going in, but I'll find something!

For NV4500 selection, there are a few options. If you want highest strength, use the Dodge Cummins version. It has larger input and output shafts. This one is found in the diesel and V-10 trucks. There is the Dodge V-8 version which has smaller input and output shafts. Then there is the GM version , which has different shafts than the Dodge version but is similar in strength to the Dodge V-8 version. My Durango uses a custom setup which is a V-8 Dodge tranny with a diesel input shaft so I could use a Dodge Cummins flywheel & clutch. The gas version has a 27 spline output shaft which let me use the stock Durango transfer case. This has held up fine.

Ask any questions you want. I don't get on here a lot, but I'll try to check back.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks