• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 with Cab Guard/Back Rack

jeeplvr247

This weekend I am going to take a look at a deuce, the price is right and it is what I am looking for but it has a steel cab guard on it which I have never seen before. I have done some research and have not been able to find anything but I am new to the deuces so i was wondering if this is stock or not. Also if it is not stock is it hurting the value and should I remove it? It does not have sides, bows or a tarp but I plan on adding all of that. If i do not remove the cab guard will I be able to put a tarp on it? If there is already a thread on this I offer my apologies, I could not find it.

Thanks

Attachments

KsM715

That "guard" is not stock. A cargo cover may fit over it but with the sharp corners it will rub hole in the front of the cover in no-time.

Personally, I would cut it off.

jeeplvr247

Update:
I talked to the owner and he said that it is the way he brought it but he believes that the "guard" may be part of the prisoner cube unit that was originally on the truck. He said the rack has military id numbers on the bottom of it. If i end up buying it i will post the numbers so we can solve the mystery

Vintage iron

I call them a "head ache rack" They keep stuff from flying into the back of your head, so maybe I should call it a NO headache rack! With the sides on no one would notice the difference.

TheWeatherMan

yeah that thing will put holes in a cover in no time, I'd say remove it once you get the cover if you buy the truck. I really dont know if it hurts the value or not. I don't know of any hard core deuce collectors, or anyone that will bash something like that. Everyone seems to modd their deuce in some way

KsM715

Update:
I talked to the owner and he said that it is the way he brought it but he believes that the "guard" may be part of the prisoner cube unit that was originally on the truck. He said the rack has military id numbers on the bottom of it. If i end up buying it i will post the numbers so we can solve the mystery

Ok lets put it this way. Its not stock as in it was ordered by the military from the factory that way, nor is it part of any modification or parts kit you would find in any manuals. It may have however been installed by the Army unit that last had the truck. There are alot of shop built boxes riding around in the back of deuces. As far as raising or lowering the value of the truck as it sits? No I dont believe it does either one. The truck is not worth any more just because it has it, and its not worth any less because it has it. It would only take a few minutes with a sawsall or torch to remove (if its welded and not bolted on) and a little touch up paint.

Good looking truck otherwise.

jeeplvr247

Even better, it is just bolted in so it pulls right off. Thanks for the input guys. If i buy this thing tomorrow i am sure a lot more threads will be following as i discover other quarks and customizations to the truck.

dmetalmiki

That's a VERY nice looking truck. (ist task, CHOP off that chicken coop!) as said, claim the "fence"..good luck. Post more pictures of the journey/collection when you (DO (get it.))!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno that I would get rid of it, it looks well built and thought out. I might just round the edges and run it!

jeeplvr247

The guy changed his mind last minute and decided to pay me cash for my 1009 which leaves me without an MV. Its a little disappointing but oh well, time to look for a new MV.