• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 with logloader

sawmill71

I just wanted to post some photos of my first military truck project and also thank all the people from this site that helped out with information and parts to make it happen. I resently purchased my 1971 m35a2 hardtop wo/w from Ken Kublo at Kublo's Surplus (great people to deal with) drove it home from Brackney PA to NY and with the help of my father have converted it into a mini logtruck. We lengthened frame 4' relocated airtanks,batteries and fuel tank mounted Barko 80 log loader which is powered by transfer case mounted pto. Again thank you to RangerDave , M16ty , Gringeltaube and everyone else that gave me help and information.

Attachments

Kohburn

that departure angle is a bit shallow - not planning to extend the drive shaft 2' to accomodate the 4' frame stretch?

cool project, I bet my tree surgion would love one of these.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice job. Ken is good people to deal with. Never have to worry about driving one outta there. Looks good.[thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to see that PTO going to good use. Glad it worked out good for you. [thumbzup]

spicergear

Neat project! Do you have any spare dog bone bushings? My experience in moving logs is you're gonna run out of hauling capacity quick...and off road 10,000 - 12,000lb load (which are EASY to get in a few big logs) will pop an old bushing apart.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would assume this rig is only for moving the log loader. You're not going to want to put very much weight in the cargo bed or you'll be popping wheelies with that frame stretched like that.

sawmill71

Thanks for all the comments. The loader weighs about 5000# The main use for the truck is loading other truck and trailers. I also use it to load the carrage of are band mill and for removing the slabs.
I hope to make a second m35a2 down the road with dumping log bunks but we will be a while getting there. I'll have to see about getting some spare dog bones.

197thhhc

Nice truck. You can weld a plate with a hole in the middle to the outside of the dogbones and they wont come apart. It would work fine for your application.

spicergear

I'll have to see about getting some spare dog bones.
If you get in a pinch with a popped bushing. A couple I've seen and one I band aided pulled the rubber directly out of the outer steel band and left the band in the dog bone. If you take a sharp chisel and cut across the steel band in the bone you can cut it and pop it out. THEN that end of the dog bone link will fit back over the rubber bushing. From there you can limp home with a ratchet strap around the spring pack (for an inner end) or wrap tight around the axle mounts. Toughest part may be pulling the rear back into place. I had top one pop and left the rear rear nod forward.