• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 with trashed rear spring seat/tandem axil

Blythewoodjoe

Well dude, you are too far away to help, but if any of you guys in the south east ever need stuff like this let me know. I have one of these in the scrap pile right now. I also have a couple of parts trucks and I can't imagine ever needing this hard ware for myself. Any body willing to pull the parts can have them. Price subject to change without notice. Dealer participation may very. Not valid with any other offer. All rebates to dealer. :lol:

Joe Trapp

gene

spring seat/axil bracket

thanks all for input. found a place called Boyce in Ogden Utah said they inspect, reassemble, grease axil bracket/spring seat unit. A little pricey but I am in a remote location and dont have alot of time/exerience. feedback? Gringel-had not noticed the difference from the TM bearing vs bushing. still on steep part of learning curve!

Freight train - have 20 and 8 ton bottle jacks, 3 ton floor jack, railroad ties but little else in the way of heavy lifting capabilities. Would it be poss to lift frame till leaf springs float just above axils, support frame on top of axils where overtravel bumpers contact axil under heavy load, and proceed from there. I have time, patience etc. but may not be able to pull entire rear assemble from the truck.

Pete in Plumber - if you ever get north of Sanpoint drop me a line 208.610.4318.

Live Free

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: spring seat/axil bracket

gene said:
.... Gringel-had not noticed the difference from the TM bearing vs bushing. still on steep part of learning curve!
Gene: Actually I'd heard about that bushing replacement but never seen one. (In our country we only could find some old gassers and very few A1s)
Since the original bearing configuration doesn't seem to be strong enough I see the need for improvement. It would be nice if you or somebody else could point me in the right direction to find a TM covering that upgrade in the newer trucks.
You never answered my question: if it wasn't the bushing itself, what exactly was the damage to call it a trashed spring seat?

Also for you guys that already have this setup: who's been in there and what is the general experience regarding premature wear btw. bushing and shaft/nuts? Other drawbacks?

If I had to "re-invent the wheel" in this matter I would press-fit a strong steel sleeve on the (sometimes) worn shaft, then fabricate graphite-bronze bushings with a very tight fit on that sleeve, and somehow maybe via a steel spacer, ensure that the bushings stay fixed and only their outer circumferences keep sliding on the cups surfaces.

And yes, that curve seems to only get steeper! The more you learn, the more you know you still have to learn!!! :roll:

Gerhard

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: spring seat/axil bracket

you should be able to just jack up the jack enough to put a little pressure on it but not take all the pressure off the axles(just make sure you have enough travel to pully unload the spings cause it is a buzz kill to think your one pump away from being done with that step to realize you gotta reposition the jack or add some cribbing to get more hight).when the jack is holding some pressure you should be able to unbolt the hangers and then jack the frame up enough to just roll out the rear assembly.Just jack it up front in front of the middle axle There should be enough nose weight not to cause any tipping.Oh,this is all from viewing pictures and Diagrams in the TM so your truck could be different(AKA riveted instead of bolted or welded on or god knows what else has been done over the years).

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter

If your not in a hurry, and who ever is, the idaho motorpool is having it's MV event the weekend of June 14 (Thurs thru Sat).
There are supposed to be vendor tables and such. I was heading there to check for various parts. They are off of !-84, 1st exit in ID coming from OR.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter

OOPS! It is next weekend the 7,8,9th. And ID exit 3 on I-84