• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C build questions

camoyj7

I think the 3053 would be fine with a stock Cummins. A friend is doing that swap now. If you plan on 650 hp and 800+ torque I think you will get to see the gear on the outside of the case. Mine performance was lack luster with the 6x6 crew w/12' bed. When it was a 4x4 crew cab is was much better. I was really shocked on how much power was lost adding the third axle. This was with a turned up multi fuel and stock 3053 trans.

Attachments

Str8Jacket

That picture looks like he still has the stock hx35 turbo on it.

This is probably a dumb question since the 3053 and the 5 ton are different but would the clutch assembly be the same? I've driven manual trans but I've only ever rebuilt automatics so I'm still learning the details.

camoyj7

What flywheel is he using?
Here is the secret nobody will share. It took months of research and too many hours on the computer to find the combo. For an Sae#3 flywheel housings I used one from the AT545 Allison #3925223 that has a low driver side starter. A Napa #MBI RC2077136X clutch. And the winning number on the flywheel is #3935205! Or 3908569 or 3935204. found all of these numbers on my new Cummins (not china repop) flywheel. Other flywheel housings are 3903282 high starter mount, 3933387 mid starter mount.

Attachments

Str8Jacket

What about using an NV5600? It bolts right up to a Cummins and can handle more torque. I was hoping Tom would chime in so I could ask about using him to upgrade the 3053. If that's even a viable option for 800ft/lb torque.

Str8Jacket

Too long. Unless you plan on moving everything.
I don't have experience under the m35 but should just be moving cross members, shortening the rear drive shaft and having a longer shaft made for the front? While making the CC I could relocate the access for the shifter in the cab.

rustystud

I don't have experience under the m35 but should just be moving cross members, shortening the rear drive shaft and having a longer shaft made for the front? While making the CC I could relocate the access for the shifter in the cab.
You have to be careful shortening the rear driveline. It will not work correctly if you off-road this truck unless you go with double cardan joints (U-joints) . The driveline angle is to great when shortened and the differentials really articulate back there !

rustystud

Here is the secret nobody will share. It took months of research and too many hours on the computer to find the combo. For an Sae#3 flywheel housings I used one from the AT545 Allison #3925223 that has a low driver side starter. A Napa #MBI RC2077136X clutch. And the winning number on the flywheel is #3935205! Or 3908569 or 3935204. found all of these numbers on my new Cummins (not china repop) flywheel. Other flywheel housings are 3903282 high starter mount, 3933387 mid starter mount.
Good job !

Str8Jacket

You have to be careful shortening the rear driveline. It will not work correctly if you off-road this truck unless you go with double cardan joints (U-joints) . The driveline angle is to great when shortened and the differentials really articulate back there !
Ok thank you. I'm gong to pull measurements for the cummins/nv5600 vs multi-fuel/3053a and see how much of a difference it is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks