• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2c clogged fuel system

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya'll were right, I took off the cover plate on the fuel shut off and the linkage moves but you have to put some muscle behind. So I'm sure the fuel control rod must be gummed up to. I'm gonna study up tonight on the TM's .

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like another problem solved. Received an email from Dp and his truck is running again.

It turned out that the Fuel Control Rod was the problem. It was gummed up and was not allowing the injector pump to function properly.

He removed the Rod, cleaned the Hydraulic Head passages, disasembled and cleaned the rod.

After every thing was cleaned and reassembled and reinstalled, the truck fired right up and ran perfectly. (for a 40 year old truck that is...LOL)

Good job DP.

Warthog

ETHOS

mine has had some starting troubles lately, like it needs to have the pedal pushed halfway down before it fires up.... almost like it is not getting fuel.......

this post may be helpful......

Maxgussam

I am having a similar issue, but my throttle stuck open while going down the road. Definately a high pucker factor experience!
I was able to pull over, and shut the engine down, and when I restarted, it ran fine.
When I backed into my parking spot at home, the same thing happened again...

I will try the above suggestions to remedy the problem, or is there something else I need to look at??

Thanks for any help or advise!
-Max

G-Force

That means its running up to high idle with fuel. If it was oil pulling the stop would'nt stop it. The only way would be to cut off the air supply. how high do the rpms go?? To governed speed??

NewWheeler

I had mine go full throttle on me in traffic and was able to kill it with the engine stop but it was just the throttle return spring. I wonder if yours is just weak spring or some kind of binding in the linkage.

Maxgussam

That means its running up to high idle with fuel. If it was oil pulling the stop would'nt stop it. The only way would be to cut off the air supply. how high do the rpms go?? To governed speed??

Yes, seemed to go that high.
The linkage works smoothly, without binding.
I will check, and probably replace the return spring, just to be sure.

Keith_J

This thread needed bumping as it is VERY IMPORTANT.

On the engine stop control, this is the only direct control of the engine! The engine stop handle pulls the control collar down, causing all diesel to spill before it is pressurized for injection. ANY sticking of the control collar is a BIG PROBLEM.

The shaft which is turned by the engine stop/control rod must be sealed well to prevent diesel under ~50 PSI from leaking into the IP section which is lubed with engine oil. This seal could be the problem and it could be engine oil side or diesel.

If it sticks ANY TIME, do not run the engine. Bad things could happen.

lavarok

I have the same exact problem with a deuce recovered from Warner Robins. I just cleaned the whole system today, went to start and it was wide open throttle until the engine stopped itself. Scary!! Looks like I will be pulling the head off the pump tomorrow.

My system was so gummed up...for a 1987 truck I am disgusted with the sludge that was in the system. Seems alot of trucks from WR have this problem...WHY?

19 KILO

2 of my 87's are still at WR and tanks are about 1/4 full of what seems to be gasoline gone bad. Most likely the Air Force boys were using gas when Diesel was $5 a gallon in 2008.

From the paperwork in the trucks, they were inspected in late 08 or early 09. They probably used gas at the shop, just enough to do what they needed to do. It's been a wet year in GA this year and those tanks are rusted pretty bad becuase the were not topped off. Every time they move them around at the lot the crud goes deeper.

I am going down next week and suck out the nasty gas and put in diesel with Star Tron enzyme treatment. I will run them enough to get the stuff in the pumps and then come back in a week and pull the filters.

We were going to drive them to Atlanta but this WOT stuff has me worried.

dpsmith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys the M35a2c I picked up from WR almost a year ago had the same mystery brown crude. I ended up having it transported back to Birmingham instead of the intended easy drive. I did preview the truck,but by the time I went to pick it up the crude had set up like tar. Ended up pulling the tank, cleaning the pump, lines and replacing all the filters. Found that the Fuel Control rod was stuck causing mine to run wide open like explained. Before you take the head off the IP I would follow the instructions given by WartHog which worked like a charm on mine. Good Luck Let me know if I can help.:-D

lavarok

Guys the M35a2c I picked up from WR almost a year ago had the same mystery brown crude. I ended up having it transported back to Birmingham instead of the intended easy drive. I did preview the truck,but by the time I went to pick it up the crude had set up like tar. Ended up pulling the tank, cleaning the pump, lines and replacing all the filters. Found that the Fuel Control rod was stuck causing mine to run wide open like explained. Before you take the head off the IP I would follow the instructions given by WartHog which worked like a charm on mine. Good Luck Let me know if I can help.:-D

Which instructions? He mentions the fuel control and removing the IP head.

Last edited:

lavarok

I see now, the fuel control rod is part of the shutoff assembly. Mine is gummed up for sure. How did you go about cleaning yours? Did you also clean the IP head passages?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks