• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2c coolant

Rezdeuce

I opened my raid cap too just check the coolant and it looks white is that right? And I want to change it anyways so what's the best coolant for the deuce thanks

crazywelder72

GREAT POST. I also am new and was thinking about my coolant. what is the proper coolant and level? my temp gauge may be busted because it never seems to move. also my heater never throws heat, barley a warm breeze and that dosnt seem right

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I opened my raid cap too just check the coolant and it looks white is that right? And I want to change it anyways so what's the best coolant for the deuce thanks
The reason you were asked to check the oil was because oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil are hallmarks for a leaking head gasket. The water and oil passages in the engine block are well separated by the head gasket where they cross from the cast iron block to the cylinder heads. If the gasket fails in a spot, an oil and a water passage may become connected - contamination results.

Oil in water looks milky.

Of course, depending on the maintenance done on your truck, the coolant could have been in there who knows how long. You could consider draining, flushing and refilling the coolant system and then taking the truck for a good spin where it will thoroughly warm up and be asked to produce some power. You do not have to add coolant for this test. You can run straight water from a garden hose and fill your cooling system that way.

After the ride, shut down and let it sit for an hour or so. Remove filler cap and check for oil droplets swimming on top of the coolant; if hard to see, use a strip of coffee filter material and dip it into the filler neck. Oil shows up nicely on the white filter paper.

If all is well, drain the water out completely, add required amount of coolant and top up with distilled water.

After the next few runs, check for oil leaks and oil/coolant contamination again. If nothing...good!

Until you are SURE that there is no head gasket problem, be mindful of following the startup instructions in the operator's manual! (Ok, even if you are sure, you still should do it...a dripping injector can cause liquid in the cylinder, too).

Pull the shutoff handle and "bump" the engine over with the starter button to see if it turns over freely. Then push stop handle in and start engine. If the engine does not want to turn when bumped, stop right there.

If you have coolant dripping into a cylinder and then try to compress liquid with a piston, bad things happen to cylinder heads.

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GREAT POST. I also am new and was thinking about my coolant. what is the proper coolant and level? my temp gauge may be busted because it never seems to move. also my heater never throws heat, barley a warm breeze and that dosnt seem right
The operator's manual (hint, hint!) says that the coolant level should be visible in the filler neck when you take the cap off.

The multifuel does run cool-ish, but you may want to check your thermostat. If it is broken, it may be locked in the "open" position.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Another thing to add is, many of these trucks will puke coolant after you top them off. Seems each one has its own "coolant level" it likes to have. This has been reported by MANY here on the site.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of us don't TOP OFF the coolant all the way to the top. The Deuces I have had liked the coolant level at the bottom of the filler neck. Any more than that and they would puke coolant.

Prestone Green works well.

Another spot for oil to enter the coolant is the oil cooler on the side of the engine.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok here is a pic of it so from what you are saying and the looks of it its a head gasket? Now how hard is that to replace and what coolant is the best sense I am going to have to drain and replace my coolant thanks
Affirmative for oil in the coolant. Possible head gasket. Possible oil cooler.

I would investigate the oil cooler first, especially if you do not have suspicious oil leaks or oil seeps from the head gasket area onto the block. Others may chime in with troubleshooting suggestions.

Rezdeuce

Affirmative for oil in the coolant. Possible head gasket. Possible oil cooler.

I would investigate the oil cooler first, especially if you do not have suspicious oil leaks or oil seeps from the head gasket area onto the block. Others may chime in with troubleshooting suggestions.
I cleaned the engine all up and there is some oil by the head how do I check the oil cooler? Thanks for all the help

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to check out this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59373-why-my-coolant-white.html

It has a diagram of the oil cooler, its location and a picture of the gaskets.

How much oil in the head area? A seepage of oil does not necessarily mean the head gasket is kaputt. Many multis (and other diesels) seep a little. With head gasket failure, you often get significant leakage that stains the whole side or rear of the block and comes back as quickly as you can clean it off.

Rezdeuce

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59373-why-my-coolant-white.html

It has a diagram of the oil cooler, its location and a picture of the gaskets.

How much oil in the head area? A seepage of oil does not necessarily mean the head gasket is kaputt. Many multis (and other diesels) seep a little. With head gasket failure, you often get significant leakage that stains the whole side or rear of the block and comes back as quickly as you can clean it off.
thanks on the link

i have not took it for a drive i just started it up and let in ran for a bit i will but before i cleaned it it was covered in oil dont know how long it was there or what it was from was like that when i got it so will the oil cooler cause the same white milky in the rad?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
will the oil cooler cause the same white milky in the rad?
Yes.

A rule of thumb is oil in the coolant is the oil cooler. Coolant in the oil is head gasket or another internal engine problem. This rule is not always right but it's been my experience over the years.

Oil cooler is the first thing I'd check and go from there.