• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2c questions

EulaVFD#620

Hi all,

I am new here, first off I do not currently own any MV's, but would like to. I am a firefighter/mechanic for the local volunteer fire department. We operate 2 m35's as heavy brush fire trucks, my background as a mechanic, is short, I am an aircraft Mechanic. I volunteer my services/skills to the fire department as everything breaks from time to time. Now on to my questions.

We have a m35 a2c with a LD-465-1 engine in it, current maximum speed with 800 gallons of water on it going down hill with the wind is 45 mph, is there any way to get more speed out of it, all the tech manuals, and even the placard inside the truck state it should be able to attain 56mph loaded, if you have any fixes for this, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Next the same truck has a several holes in the radiator, does any one have a line on getting a radiator for this truck? the only requirement is it it should have no holes in it.

just as a note, it's not the M35 pictured in my avatar.

Thanks in advance for the help, all advice is appreciated.

EulaVFD#620

bugei

i would say that 45 for a water loaded duece is not so bad. 56 is "flying" for a duece, almost take off speed.

you could change the tires and effectlively increase your "overdrive", but these are barely 150 hp motors, so i am guessing you are not hitting the rev limiter.

if you think that you are not getting all there is out of the motor, you should check all your fuel filters, and might want to look at the threads on turning up the ip's. but 45 sounds close to all the money to me.

imltho, the beauty of a duece is that it "will get there", not how fast. it took me a while to get used to that mind set, since almost everything else i own has many times the stock power, i even have nitrous on my motorcycle....i understand your frustration, but i just love driving the duece, it goes how fast it goes, and so you just have to almost change brains, and enjoy the view. i guess that is not so easy in an emergency vehicle tho :)

spentshell

Welcome to the site 620, you can adjust the amouint of fuel from the injection pump. Do a search in the search bar. BE careful when doing this or you can cook your pistons or the turbo, you should get a pyrometer installed so you can see what temps your putting out and readajust the injector pump from there.

EulaVFD#620

When was the last time you changed the fuel filters?
unknown, I just started mechanicing for them in september. When I started, the truck didn't run as they burned all the fuel lines off the truck, and caught the truck on fire, I replaced all the rubber fuel hoses with copper, that took a week using the other deuce as a polish wiring diagram. it hadn't run for a year and a half had no fuel in it, re ran all the fuel lines, and put 20 gallons of fresh diesel and bled all the lines and injectors, and fired it up, that was a pain in the butt.

620 out

PS, the department doesn't have alot of funds to spend, it's about all we can do to keep these trucks running, most all of our fixes, are just band aids not truely how I would like to fix the problems, but there is a very limited budget.

Last edited: