• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2C Recovery Ft. Riley 07072011

Barrman

Welcome to the multiple Duece owners group Glen. Between them and the CUCV's, you should now look down your nose at anybody who buys oil in containers smaller than 5 gallon buckets.

The Whistler in theory should accelerate faster than the D because of the smaller, not by much, turbo. While the D should top out with more power. I have done thousands of miles in both and can't "feel" which is which in my seat. Just in the ears and vibrating chest. Do your filter changes and check out the pump adjustments.

Just for fun one night. Fire up the Whistler and walk down the street. Stop when you get to where you can't hear it anymore. You will be amazed at how big an area of dogs you are effecting. If the wind is right, the sound will kind of ghost in and out for a few more hundred yards.

91W350

Fuel filters done, primary had a lot of rusty looking crap in it and the fuel in the can looked like it was rusty water. Secondaries look good. Return fuel leak fixed with new line. Working on park brake cable....soaking.... Two new batteries, the old ones had a combined CCA of 227. They were new....in April of 2007.... Added Power Device and some Marvel Mystery oil to what is left of the old fuel a can of Sea Foam as well. I think I will check the valve lash, sou.ds pretty clicky on top.

Tomorrow will find new steering tires and two new rear tires and a spare.

When I get the top back and on, I will drive it daily for a while...... things are looking up!

Glen

sandcobra164

I took a good D off of my truck and put a good C on. I've turned the fuel up long before the swap but I only noticed a very slight difference in the lower gears. The truck pulls a little harder but without a stop watch that measures into the 1/100 of a second with a qualified stop watch operator, I can only speculate. The C turbo is on some LDS's making their rated output so I think the turbo on a multi doesn't make a great deal of difference so long as it's pushing some air. My boost gauge does climb a little quicker with the C and tops out about the same under a load but we're only talking 14 pounds max with either turbo. For reference, the MTVR 7 ton Marine Corps truck with a CAT C12 makes 425 horses, 1250 foot pounds or torque and will pull almost 50 pounds of boost unloaded when accelerating at about 1400 rpm after an upshift.

cookeemann

NICE TRUCK GLEN! More power or not, there's just something about driving that whistler around town that'll make you smile. Still working on bobbing mine.

Haven't registered them yet (waiting for the titles still). They'll be back on the road soon.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Cookeemann

91W350

Thank You, yes it is kind of cool to drive around, the whistler does make people look. I am a sweaty mess today, it is 97 degrees out there now and I have been changing tires, the old fashioned way, breaker bar and no air. Just have a couple more to go. I was pulling the M105 with it this morning and it was like I was dragging an anchor back there. I am putting new Titans on the steering axle and on the inside duals in the rear. Taking the best five of the old tires for the outside and spare. I surely could have picked a better day to do it!

91W350

New tires on steering axle, decent, but old spare, new tires on the rear axle and new tires on inside duals on the middle axle, old but good tires one the outside of the middle axle. Park brake - emergency brake cable freed up. Checked brake lines and they look good, top is off to be fixed, cleaned up routing of hoses and return lines on the driver's side. Adjusted the compressor belt, alternator belts look good, hopefully Monday or Tuesday I can get it inspected and tagged. All lights work and horn work.... I am a tired fat boy! I feel good about what I have accomplished though. I see no leaks and the axle boots look good. I want to tear into the right front though as the weeping grease from the axle boot looks milky. The differential lube looks good, the bearings are tight and spin freely and quietly. I have aching palms from the lug wrenches though, glad I do not need to that again for a very long time! Glen

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GLEN congrats on yet another uneventful recovery and Welcome to the multi Deuce club the new truck looks beautiful and the two together, you could make that your Christmas card my Friend! Looks like its going to be a very nice addition to the growing FLEET! You have mighty good taste in your vehicles Glen, sorry it just did not work out for us I would have loved to have been a part of this recovery!
KK

Flyingvan911

When we drove down to Oklahoma for the rally, Swayze said he could hear my c turbo over his engine and he was a good 300 to 400 feet ahead of me.

My LDS and whistler (fuel not turned up to my knowledge, FDC bypassed by Army) puts out 13 psi max. Normally tops out at about 12.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks