• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2c starter issue

BIGBENtow

I parked truck one day after working on it then next day nothing. I hit starter button and it just clicks. I have new batteries and all cables are tight even on frame and all elec parts. I tried love tapping starter and solenoid then the clicking changes tones. any ideas on what part to change if any. the starter looks new
thanks for any info

tommys2patrick

even though the batteries are new have you load checked them? Another thing to try is make sure everything else is off. You might be able to run a jumper directly to the starter. Or even try rotating the engine by hand a few degrees and then trying the starter again. If you have a charger it wouldn't hurt to hook it up and/or put a little heat on the batteries, say from a drop light (incandescent). You may have already tried these things though.

What was it you were working on?

loosescrews

Theres a copper disk that corrodes you can clean up on top the starter. Mine did the same thing and I just freshened up that disk. Files for points or a welding tip file will work just fine. Do you get more of a click or a hard clank/thwack when trying to start?

KsM715

I don't have the specific pages right here but there is a trouble shooting flow chart in the TM that cover this very problem

AZK9

You might try rechecking the ground connection right near the battery box.

Your situation sounds similar to something I experienced and that bad ground
was one cause for the starter 'clicking'.

The other was that the accessory switch needs to be turned all the way to the off
position. :oops: I once left the switch in the say... '1-o-clock' position over a two/three
day timeframe and had the same result you are describing.

A quick swap of the batteries got me up and running while the deuce batteries
got a nice long 'slow-charge' to bring them back to top shape.

I hope your trouble is something easy to fix... like my issues. :roll:

In any case... good luck and keep us posted as to how things are going. [thumbzup]

AZK9

... Do you get more of a click or a hard clank/thwack when trying to start?
Loosescrews brings up a really good question here.

I described my problem in a previous post (#6). My sound was much more a 'wimpy click' sound.

On my civi vehicles, the starter issues usually make more of a forceful "hard clank/thwack when trying to start".

Hope it can be of some help. [thumbzup]

AZK9

... will check it all over again and see what I find . ...
I just wanted to add that when I had a problem, much like you have described... I would probably
not have discovered/caused, yes caused it... had I not been in the process of 'restoring the truck'.

My ground connection (near the back of the battery box) was pretty much held against the steel
by... CARC paint! :shock: When I used a wire brush to free up loose rust, I weakened the connection
that later, caused several electrical issues including my starter clicking.

If you don't mind my asking, what were you working on just prior to discovering your starter issue?

IMO... hold off on buying the replacement parts until you're sure what's wrong. Well... that is unless
you want to keep the parts as spares.

Good luck. [thumbzup]

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a starter relay? Have you checked with a meter where you have current? Can you jump it by shorting (on the starter) , between the hot battery lead & the starter solenoid? It could be connections not making good contact.

AZK9

I was painting doors and trim :???:
Hummmm... Any chance that you painted a layer of paint between a wire
and a good, clean ground connection? :shrugs: Paint could be an insulator,
especially if you didn't want it to be. (LOL... Murphy lurks in strange places.) :wink:

Probably not... but stranger things have happened to me before. :oops:

Hang in there and keep at it. You'll get it all figured out at some point! [thumbzup]

BIGBENtow

Well. I think it is the the sld on top of starter. The relay on the block is working. I tried love taps on it while wife hit started button and nothing. Motor turns over fine. Got power also

skinnyR1

Mine does the same thing. Keep in mind I have a brand new motor and a brand new starter on my truck.

I disassembled the solenoid on the starter, and checked on that copper disk multiple times. But it still does it. Sometimes, all I get is a click, and I can hear the solenoid moving forward and back. Usually, it will eventually catch and start. One time it didn't, but the truck was in my driveway. I cross the leads on starter, to spin it, the starter then fired with the button after that. It is weird.

If it isn't a dead spot on my brand new starter, then I think it is a bad ground somewhere else, as the other posts above have eluded to. I just haven't had the opportunity to track it down yet.

loosescrews

By getting it to start by jumping the wires, so I wouldnt think its a dead spot. The next time the problem shows up, use a multimeter, see what voltage is at the starter when the button is depressed. If you get starting voltage at the starter while the button is depressed at the starter, then I would suspect the starter. Ground your multimeter to the starter as well. Let us know what you find. That copper disk and its contacts can be a ornery critter.

Roaddog58

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean up all terminal enda, take off all wires off, sand them, all the way up to the starter, sand, then grease, reassemble.

rustystud

You also could have bad brushes in the starter motor. If there too worn down they start tearing into the commutator . If you just jump start the starter, look at the brushes by removing that round clamp at the end of the starter. If they shot out sparks while turning then they should be replaced and the commutator cleaned up.