• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2c What does the "C" mean?

stb64

Ok, a1 no turbo smaller engine(427?). A2 turbo'd Ldt 465
No.
A1: 1960-65, turbocharged LDS 427-2 hypercycle (multifuel)engine. The S in LDS stands for supercharged.
A2: 1965-89, non turbo LD 465-1 (25A generator), non-turbo LD 465-1C (60A alternator- that's right, the C suffix stands for just the 60A alternator).
LDT 465-1C and LDT 465-1D. The same engines as the LD 465-1C but turbocharged. And no, the C & D don't mean anything turbo.

pigpen60

I dont have a m35. i would like to have one. As for downloading the TM's, i have a hard time reading them online guess i need to start buying.

Plane Fast

You can send the TMs to iBook (if you have a apple product) and use the search function. It works well if you are looking up a NSN part number. (Although it will have to be in the right format)
Then if you wanted, you could send the TMs to a printer or have kinkos make you some binders.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just realize that the manuals are thousands of pages. Please don't start printing without proper planning.

icecreamman

On an m35a2c, the "C" means clean air as in turbo. The turbo was added to make the smoke go away. It only added 5hp but made most of the smoke go away. I can still remember back in the seventies getting behind convoys of deuces belching black smoke. I was maybe a ten year old riding in the back of a pickup on the interstate,,,,,I survived.

I've actually thought about removing my turbo just to "blow smoke". It's only 5hp loss.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-361-20
1-10. EQUIPMENT CHARACTERISTICS, CAPABILITIES, AND FEATURES
a. M35A2 Cargo Truck, WO/W and W/W.
PURPOSE: This model is used to transport cargo and troops. The M35A2 has permanent steelwelded
sides, making it a preferred vehicle when transporting bulky or shifting loads. Side racks have builtin
troop seats which may be positioned for troop transport operations. A bow and tarpaulin kit is available.
M35A2 CARGO TRUCK W/W
b. M35A2C Cargo Truck With Dropsides, WO/W and W/W.
PURPOSE: M35A2C cargo trucks are used to transport cargo and troops. The hinged steel sides can
be folded down or removed for easy side loading and unloading operations. Side racks have built-in troop
seats which may be positioned for troop transport operations. A bow and tarpaulin kit is available.
M35A2C CARGO TRUCK WITH DROPSIDES
1-4

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce model differences are prime content for a SS wiki. Didn't we have a fairly extensive wiki at one point?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No.
A1: 1960-65, turbocharged LDS 427-2 hypercycle (multifuel)engine. The S in LDS stands for supercharged.
A2: 1965-89, non turbo LD 465-1 (25A generator), non-turbo LD 465-1C (60A alternator- that's right, the C suffix stands for just the 60A alternator).
LDT 465-1C and LDT 465-1D. The same engines as the LD 465-1C but turbocharged. And no, the C & D don't mean anything turbo.
I don't have solid evidence in front of me, but I strongly, strongly believe that the alternator/generator plays no part in the C/D designation of the multifuel.

The C series uses the first generation head gasket with separate fire rings and pressure relief slots. The D series uses the one-piece head gasket. If someone can show me a military TM that backs up this "C=25A generator, D=60A alternator" argument, I'll donate $25 of my own money to that person's charity of choice.

On an m35a2c, the "C" means clean air as in turbo. The turbo was added to make the smoke go away. It only added 5hp but made most of the smoke go away. I can still remember back in the seventies getting behind convoys of deuces belching black smoke. I was maybe a ten year old riding in the back of a pickup on the interstate,,,,,I survived.

I've actually thought about removing my turbo just to "blow smoke". It's only 5hp loss.
The turbocharger is an emissions device, not intended to create additional horsepower or torque, this is absolutely true. In fact, the kits that the military made to retrofit a turbo to non-turbo trucks were called "clean air kits".

The part about the C designation being for the turbo is absolutely, 100% not true.

On an M35A2C, an M35A3C, M54A2C, etc. the C always means dropsides. This is in both the M44A2 and M44A3 operators manuals. The M35A2C has it's own NSN, separate from the M35A2 and the dataplates show the dropside being different.

The M44A3 models all use the same engine and turbo. Every single one... M35A3, M109A4, M35A3C, etc.

Here's a screenshot out of the M35A3 operators manual:

m35a3com.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, there is no documentation that has been presented here yet that any turbos were designated a "C" or "D". There were the LDT-465-1C and LDT-465-1D engines. The " C". Was an earlier design. In the same realms, the Schweitzer 3LG319 turbo (whistler) was the first design and was probably more prevalent on the "C" engine. I would imagine that someone drew a connection from that. Until the book is done or DD speaks up, this what we know so.far.

The "C" in relation to model number is heavily documented in TMs. The one slight unknown is when the dropsides came about.

Again, most of these answers may be in "The Book" when it comes out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks