• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2c What does the "C" mean?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The book is getting closer. What was going to be a few hundred pages is now in the thousands. I've long retired from deuce collecting but this book I will buy. Research has been ongoing since the last century.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine version has no correlation to which turbo it has.

stb64

If someone can show me a military TM that backs up this "C=25A generator, D=60A alternator" argument, I'll donate $25 of my own money to that person's charity of choice.
TM 9-2815-210-34, june 1978, paper version. Page 1-26. Paragraph 1-42''Differences between models''. Table 1-1: Generator type.
And: Page 1-7, figure 1-6 ''Model LD 465-1, and page 1-8, figure 1-7 ''Model LD 465-1C'' clearly show the 25A generator and 60A alternator.
Shortly after the changeover to -1C, the covered, top mounted intake flame heater replaced the older, uncovered heater, so that this can also be considered a feature of the -1C engine.

FWIW, there is no documentation that has been presented here yet that any turbos were designated a "C" or "D". There were the LDT-465-1C and LDT-465-1D engines. The " C". Was an earlier design. In the same realms, the Schweitzer 3LG319 turbo (whistler) was the first design and was probably more prevalent on the "C" engine. I would imagine that someone drew a connection from that. Until the book is done or DD speaks up, this what we know so.far.

The "C" in relation to model number is heavily documented in TMs. The one slight unknown is when the dropsides came about.
Absolutely right, but there was another turbo model used, for a short time, on the LDT 465-1C before the 3LJ319: the Schwitzer 3LD305. These are almost impossible to find now. I can't even remember seeing one in the last 20 years.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not see that manual but the 9-2815-210-34-2-1 page 1-9 is on site and has the chart referred above.

phxmark

You're right. The Wikipedia page states "The LDT-465-1D was the last version of the Multi Fuel, it had the same 3LJ319 Turbo (whistler), or the quieter 3LM39 (non-whistler), better head gasket sealing and head cooling." I was told the D meant that it had the quieter turbo, but I see the wiki says otherwise.