• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Air Cleaner Dust Ejector System

CatMan

I've read several posts from new M35A3 owners about removing the "EGR" system from the truck. The Air Cleaner and Muffler is a combined engineered heavy duty air cleaner "system" on the M35A3. It is not and has nothing to do with "Exhaust Gas Resurculation" (EGR). Nothing to do with Air pollution and has NO effect on the engine performance.

The air cleaner, precleaner and muffler are manufactured by Donaldson. The system is the STA Strata system and has been used for many years on many brands of off road equipment that is used in heavy dust conditions. The tube from the precleaner pulls heavy dust particles out using a nozzle inside the muffler. By doing this, the air cleaner element will last about 4 times longer untill it needs service (cleaning or replacement).

The air cleaner element in the A3 does not have a second inner safety element so everytime you remove the primmary element for service the intake system is open to contaminantion. That's why the prefered method is to extend the service life with the precleaner. And it saves man hours not used for extra service.

Removing the muffler defeats the precleaner and makes you a target for officer friendly for excessive noise violations. It has nothing to do with more power or better acceleration or pollution control.

Attached is a PDF from Donaldson that shows how the air system system components work

I hope this helps you understand the difference and how the system works.

Cat Man

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CatMan, that was an excellent description on how the air cleaner works. I was totally unaware of that system. Excellent post.

sierra117

Thanks for the useful intel and by the catman would you mind if I have any problems with the A3 can I ask you. You really seem to know your stuff.

autigers35a3

Thanks Catman. I missed the pdf last night. Checked it out tonight.
Did not know how it operated with the exhaust.
I guess it would be a good thing to check the black hose and clamps from the muffler to the air intake.
If the orginal hose is somewhat dry rotted replace it with ? Radiator hose ?
Hunt down a NOS part from Erick etc.???
Thanks again Catman!

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I got a replacement from the CAT dealer in Rapid City. Exact match. We are luckey in that both CatMan and Garp (heavy equipment field service 18 yrs) are both CAT employees and know their stuff. I know Garp has an A3 also.

YOUNG GUN

Thanks for taking the time to post the CORRECT information, all of the other info I found on SS and another site indicated it was an EGR.
I will simply install a new 90 deg tube at the same location as the stock muffler, reconnect the tube, and the dust ejector system will be working as intended.

Thanks again!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks