• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 AT1545 airline question

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi,

The AT1545 is getting ready to go into my M35A3. The air lines for the hydraulic actuators up front have been identified. Trying to figure out where on the transmission-end of the equation these 2 remaining airlines go:

IMG_4717.jpg

Any assistance appreciated,
SJ/JD
DAVEGT

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you read the TMs? The TMs show exactly where the airlines are hooked up. TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2 shows specific instructions on the removal and installation of the transmission, including airline.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's exactly what I needed, thank you very much!!

To be fair, all of the TMs are there (thank you to the posters!), but they're not exactly the easiest to dig out. What I wound up doing was searching for that TM and finding it that way. Doing it in reverse? I went and look in the deuce TM section... not so straight forward? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

HDN

I got my M35A3 TMs from Jatonka's site. It seems this site is full of useful A2 TMs, which the A3 TMs also reference here and there (anything common with the A2 like the split brakes and suspension).

tobyS

Okay....what does the airline do on the 1545. With only 762 pages of that TM, I must have missed it.

HDN

I had to look at your picture again. I thought you were referring to the vent line. Are you sure those aren't for the temperature gauge and either the neutral switch or backup light switch?

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to look at your picture again. I thought you were referring to the vent line. Are you sure those aren't for the temperature gauge and either the neutral switch or backup light switch?
They're air as far as I can see? More tomorrow.

HDN

I might not know what I'm talking about. I'm also learning :p

Looking through the 2 of 2 of the operational maintenance TM, I find it curious that it actually describes replacing the 1545P with a 545, almost like someone was expecting that replacement to actually happen. There is mention of an air line, but i have no idea what that would be for. TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2 starting on page 0335 00-1.

Last edited:

tobyS

Air shift for TC was my thought....nothing on 1545 uses air that I know of. Neutral safety switch is electric, not air.

HDN

The one air line mention I saw in the TM is for the main air line that comes straight from the compressor. It seems that it runs close enough to the tranny that it needs to be removed for tranny removal. It does not go into the tranny, though.

So now I'm thinking they're vent lines. Or, did you disconnect any air lines to the transfer case? Where are the lines coming from relative to the truck? Hard to tell from your pic.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to see if someone in your area has an M35A3 that you can look at to see which air lines go where. Sometimes, looking at diagrams and text in the TMs doesn't make things clear. You don't want to make a mistake and switch the two airlines.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Learned a few things today:

The transmission is installed and working properly. The winch works as it should(*).

I still don't know where those lines went, that bit was done by the time I got to the shop. The batteries are flat. They're hooked to my 2 bank no.co charger now.

The winch controls for in and out are working. The lockout that's on the side of the shift tower has been bypassed. The hunch is it"s broken. I want to put it back into play to make it just that little bit harder for the winch to get inadvertently used/damaged. Ideas on where to get that part anyone?

The generator is toast. I need one of those too. If anybody has he to sell/knows where I might find one I'm all ears. I'm OK keeping it to 60A, or going bigger output. But I don't "need" more amperage really.

And a couple of prestolite air fittings are toast. Nothing show-stopping but they are leaking and I want to fix it. Any suggestions on sourcing them?

Thanks for all the input & ideas y'all.

SJ/JD

HDN

I'm happy to see the tranny is working right :) If I find some time this week maybe I can try to locate those lines on my truck.

As for an alternator, I've thought about putting one in there from a parts M35A2. However, I really want to keep the truck looking 1990s modern and would like to just try replacing the voltage regulator or get an alternator from another truck of similar vintage.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lockout that's on the side of the shift tower has been bypassed. The hunch is it"s broken. I want to put it back into play to make it just that little bit harder for the winch to get inadvertently used/damaged. Ideas on where to get that part anyone?
The generator is toast. I need one of those too. If anybody has he to sell/knows where I might find one I'm all ears. I'm OK keeping it to 60A, or going bigger output. But I don't "need" more amperage really.
And a couple of prestolite air fittings are toast. Nothing show-stopping but they are leaking and I want to fix it. Any suggestions on sourcing them?
SJ/JD
I'm assuming you are talking about the red switch on the tower? It is actually an air valve. I've seen them on Ebay in the past. It's not good to bypass that valve. You can look in the TM for the manufacturer and part number, but I did it for you. The NSN is: 4820013688562. The part number is: 35M18653. Erik's Military Surplus has them brand new for $50.00. If you know who bypassed the valve, I would ask them why they bypassed it. With that valve bypassed, someone could knock the reversing toggle and cause real problems energizing the winch.

Do you know what's wrong with the alternator? It could be a simple repair. There are NOS alternators for sale on Ebay now, but the cost is high at $900.00. I would try to take the alternator to a repair shop. I'm not sure if you are aware or not, but the alternator bracket on M35A3s are famous for cracking and/or breaking. I would recommend checking it out. I haven't had any issues, but several others have had the problem. There are new strengthened alternator brackets available.

I had to replace several air fittings on my A3 on the brake system. I sourced the replacements with WW Grainger, along with some new air line. What part of the pneumatic system are the air fittings you need located?

Last edited:

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for sharing all of that, glcaines. I can't know for certain why the switch on the tower is disabled
as the previous owner is deceased. I can only guess that its defective at this point.

I have a small, local "Grainger" of sorts I'll roll the truck by to see what they have to address the air leaks.

The generator ... before I took the truck in to the shop to get the transmission installed by a professional (which I'm Very glad I did in hindsight) I spent a lot of time getting the rest of the truck buttoned up with the occasional help of a good friend: 24vdc fuel pump, bypassed original fuel pump and water separator, battery disconnect, and normal, routine maintenance. I ran the engine a good bit to slowly bring it back after sitting for 4+ years without throwing a load on it right out of the gate.

The generator wasn't right from the beginning. It got so hot a couple times there was No way to touch it. I have no idea what happened there. Since then the wiring has been checked and is good as far as I can tell. Right now all I know for certain is that it's not giving any output.

I'm going to completely disconnect it and run batteries-only long enough to get it home and a replacement in some form installed: a rebuild or a replacement.

Thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks