• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 AT1545 airline question

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Sgt Jiggins did you ever figure this one out? I checked under my truck today and found no air lines going into the transmission. The TM doesn't mention any either except for the ones that go past it.
There were 4 total. 3 went with the winch and 1 went... back to the transfer case I'm assuming? The guy who installed the transmission figured it out. I need to go ask him if he remembers when he's over for a pig roast in a few weeks.

Reactions: HDN

HDN

Well that explains why I don't have those on my truck (no winch on mine). I think it's interesting that the winch has air going to it and isn't directly hydraulic, unless there's something I'm missing in its operation.

The transfer case needs it for front end in/out, though I haven't actually looked for where that is on my truck. Has to be the same as on the A2 I imagine.

I'm glad you got it figured out :)

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that explains why I don't have those on my truck (no winch on mine). I think it's interesting that the winch has air going to it and isn't directly hydraulic, unless there's something I'm missing in its operation.
The winch on an M35A3 is hydraulic powered. The controls are pneumatic powered.

HDN

The winch on an M35A3 is hydraulic powered. The controls are pneumatic powered.
I never realized that. Looking in the operator's manual, I now see the winch controls inside the cab are on the shift tower. I'm guessing the air controls are there to eliminate the possibility of hydraulic oil leaking in the cab through a direct hydraulic valve (they always leaked on the tractors I've driven). Do the air controls allow for varying winch speed depending on how far the control lever is pushed in either direction?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never realized that. Looking in the operator's manual, I now see the winch controls inside the cab are on the shift tower. I'm guessing the air controls are there to eliminate the possibility of hydraulic oil leaking in the cab through a direct hydraulic valve (they always leaked on the tractors I've driven). Do the air controls allow for varying winch speed depending on how far the control lever is pushed in either direction?
There is one lever that is pulled up and out to engage the hydraulic bypass. Another toggle switch moves the winch drum in or out. The hydraulic winch on the A3 is identical with the A2 winch except it is driven by hydraulics while on the A2 the winch is driven by the PTO. I have had both A2 and A3 with winches. The winch on the A3 works exceedingly well and is very easy to use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks