• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 axle replacement

letssled

1953 M135 axle replacement

Has anyone replaced the stock rockwell axles on the GMC m135 with Ford F450 or F550 axles or a similar more common type? I have a unique use for the M35 and I think it will be easier to replace the axles. I need to lower the truck 6 inches and at the same time use some higher ratio crown and pinion for highway use. Without the top drive style diffs it will give me clearance for the oil pan for the 8.3 Cummins or Caterpillar 3306 I plan to put in there. The dana axles from the Ford are rated for 6000 and 8000 pounds respectively and have modern disc brakes. And I have located a company that will allow me to keep the 6x6 look but have a more modern and lighter axle.

thanks,
letssled

Last edited:

gentrysgarage

Unless you aren't going to haul or tow anything, those axles will be ok. Otherwise I would rob the axles out of F700. They are FDS 75 Rockwells and later years had 6 x 8.75 disc brakes

letssled

It is going to carry my kids, polaris rzr 4 and pull my 8000 pound holiday trailer. You are right that they would probably work, but I plan to put a cummins 8.3 in or a Cat 3306 with a double OD tranny. i don't really want anything to old, so I prefer the newer stuff. Just have to make sure the axles/transfer case can take the 300hp and 1000ft pounds that I am after......I plan to replace the entire drive line with modern equipment.

PS, don't know why the title isn't changed, I corrected my typo and $$$ my dues :-(

quickfarms

What truck do you have?

The title says M35A3 then you mention the M135, a completely different truck, then you mention a cummins or cat, the M35A3 has a cat, then you say it is a 1953. Very confusing.

In the long run you would be better off getting the right truck than trying to make this truck work?

letssled

Yeah, sry I always miss the one.....I paid me yearly dues but the title isn't editing (only right to support the site :p) It is a 1953 GMC M135 6x6. I plan to put a cat 3306 or cummins 8.3 CTA. I like the old school engines instead of the 3116 I want to extend the cab as well, so there really isn't a truck for me.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Yeah, sry I always miss the one.....I paid me yearly dues but the title isn't editing (only right to support the site :p) It is a 1953 GMC M135 6x6. I plan to put a cat 3306 or cummins 8.3 CTA. I like the old school engines instead of the 3116 I want to extend the cab as well, so there really isn't a truck for me.
A M135 should not have top loaders in it.

What transmission are you planning?

You have not explained why you want to lower the truck 6"

letssled

A M135 should not have top loaders in it.

What transmission are you planning?

You have not explained why you want to lower the truck 6"
I am lowering to make it easier to get in and out for my wife and kids, and most importantly so I can get it to clear my 8' garage door.

For a tranny I am thinking of a MT654 at minimum. The cat 3306 and cummins 6 CTA both turn counter clockwise. But I might go to a Alision 7000 series tranny.

Not worth the $$$ to modify toploaders and I don't think I will have enough clearance for the larger diesel oil pans, especially the 3306.

dk8019

Wow, a conversion from the 302 to the Cummins 6CTA would be interesting. I see two fairly large issues to be tackled. The 6CTA weighs at least three times as much as the 302, 580lbs or so versus nearly 1600 I think. Then you've got to tackle the overall length. The 6CTA is around 4' long, the 302 on the other hand is a little over 2' correct and it's tight in there already. The 3306 is pretty much the same in terms of weight and length. Don't even get me started on the transmission dimensions :)

letssled

Talk about getting the rug pulled out from under my feet! Went to go pick up my M135 at the auction and "they" forgot to tell me/us there was a conditional clause built into the unit. So I would have to pay an additional $5000. To get it. Looks like I am back to square one!

letssled

That is what I said, but he said there was a reserve bid/conditional clause so if I wanted it I would have to pay another $5000. I guess I will have to pay closer attention to online auctions, when I won the bid it read as "conditionally sold" but there was nothing to elude there was a reserve on it. I thought this was a reputable auction house, but out of principal I walked away from the deal. Guess I will keep looking and planning a trip to the Idaho motor pool.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks