• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Caterpillar engine

Z71

Does this engine have a timing chain or is it a straight gear drive like the multifuel? Also, does the engine use hydraulic valve lifters, so no periodic valve lash adjustment is required (unlike multifuel which has solid valve lifters)?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Although I've never seen inside the engine in question, I've never seen a bigger diesel with a timing chain or hyd lifters.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I have seen no larger diesel engines have a chain in the front. They are all gears.

CatMan

M35A3 Caterpillar Engine

The Cat Model 3116 engine has a geared valve train at the front of the engine.

The intake and exhaust valve lifters are a solid type that require a simple CHECK on a schedule. They may or may not require adjustment on that same schedule. They are set with the engine stopped. There are no timing marks on the outside of the engine. There is a small threaded plug on the flywheel housing that is removed and a METRIC bolt installed into a threaded hole in the flywheel or Flex plate to place the engine on TDC #1 and #6. All the valves can be adjusted with simple hand tools and a couple feeler guages in two revolutions of the crankshaft.

Don't forget to remove the timing bolt when you are finished.

It's easy to do, often overlooked and does not require a trip to a Cat service dealer.

Cat Man

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks