• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 CTIS question

cubdriver55

I bought an A3 and I am going to go pick it up. It has 3 flat tires which I assume means the CTIS system is not working. I was wondering if I can just pump up the tires to get it home or do I have to unhook the CTIS first? I was also wondering what type of engine oil and trans fluid I should take along incase it is low. Thanks Steve

goodguyzy

Turn CTIS off, air up tires manually, engine and trans are 15w-40, use the search function, these questions have been asked a lot. there are some ppl on here that will get real grumpy.

jeep-Jeep

the a3 trucks that sold today looked sweet .
I could not help but daydream about buying one for a alaska vacation .
What a blast that would be to fly in and have a a3 for the trip .
They went higher than in the lower states but I cannot help but believe it would be worth every penny .
Good luck and enjoy gods country

cubdriver55

I watched those trucks in Ak but they were a bit high for me but about right when you consider buying one in the lower 48 and shipping it up. I also have a farm in Va where I now spend 4 months in winter and that is where the truck is. It did not have a winch but I got it for about 5k which I think is a graet buy for that much truck.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Welcome to the A3 club. Just get a glad hand air hose and take it with you, Turn off the CTIS system untill you get home to fully check it out.

AceHigh

I had to air up several tires on my A3 at pick up. CTIS did not work at that time. FYI it took 10 minutes per tire or one full hour. Take a 5 gallon bucket or something to sit on. This was using the gladhand for air. Keep in mind these are very big tires.

I put about 45 pounds in each. Some had 15, some none.

ETA: In retrospect, it would also be great to have a couple of those valve extensions handy and a clip on air chuck. You could sit in the "comfort" of the cab. Keep the engine on fast idle and watch the press gauge so the dryer does not cycle too often and slow you down.

Last edited:

motomacguyver

I found that my tires were leaking at the "o" ring junction (at the split rim) and the valve stem "o" ring. With the CTIS off the tires should hold pressure. 4 of 7 tires of mine had to be dismounted and sealed up (new 'O' rings) for them to hold air for more than a couple of days.

Rustygears

For a recovery, make sure you take a bunch 'o DOT-5 brake fluid. Don't use anything else! Empty, that truck is 14000 lbs and really, it doesn't matter if it goes slow, gets poorer fuel mileage, implodes the tranny, etc. compared to not stopping and plowing through other cars at an intersection. Really, Really check out those brakes and make sure you download the TMs and study them IN ADVANCE to fully understand the very non-standard brake system (It's not air, it' s not hydraulic - it's both!)

Pajaro

Good advice on the o-ring's I have the same issue on my 1993 M35A3 WO/W. Just spent better part of an hour airing up 6 tires.
New to the site. Good information here. Very little BS. Refreshing!
Thanks guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks