• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Engine and Transmission oil

tobyS

Use Dextron ATF.

There is a seal that holds pressure to the 4th/reverse clutch pack which is well known for giving up. Modern engine oils attack that seal and cause the clutch pack to lose pressure and slip. Many people just mash the throttle further, causing much heat and destruction of the frictions and steel clutch pack. Then you have problems.

While the Allison 545 is an extremely popular tranny in buses and dump trucks, the military had Allison put a locking torque converter in and they designated it the 1545. The bad is that they only built 5,600 of these trucks so the 1545's are not readily available. The good is that all the parts for the 545 are used in the 1545 except the front seal, so rebuild IS possible. After much searching I got my torque converter rebuilt, but most TC rebuild shops cannot do it.

Here is a picture of my rebuilt tranny with a PTO attached. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to peddle the PTO and pump, which would be perfect for a hydraulic winch ....so I can go to a pressure compensated variable displacement style pump.

Attachments