• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 execessive blowby and blue smoke on decel

garp

As far as aftermarket parts go, DONT GO THERE!!! I dont care who tells you what, the folks bragging up these parts are selling em to you. If they fail or dont last, it will be on your hands, becasue they will tell you that it was your fault. I have seen many engine/machines repaired with Will-Fit stuff from Super Cheap Engine Parts Inc. It does not last, it does not work along side factory parts. I am sure someone will argue the point, go ahead. I am simply telling you what I know from experience. Buy Cat to fix Cat. Buy Cummins to fix Cummins, etc, etc. If you wanted a NAPA engine, go find one.

unispeed

Bad rings on 3 cylinders replaced all the rings and rebuilt the head….. guides and all. Ready for parade duty Memorial day. I am not a super poster so if someone can repeat I want to make sure it is searchable to all a3 owners.

This in not absolute and if you can disprove it let me know.
It appears that the return airline on the air assist cylinder that is plumbed back to the intake for vapor recovery. I appears that the hose had several bad crack and tears. While running in mud/ off road it filled the intake with sand and mud and grit which seems to be the culprit taking out the rings……. Not absolute but it filled the intake with mud n sand who know what went through the engine
Check that hose anyway cause its looks like it non filtered.:beer:

Reactions: HDN

CanonNinja

I was just about to make a post about that stupid hose. Where did you get the replacement stuff? I need to replace the hose between the muffle and intake, as well as the long hose that failed on your truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, sounds like yet another "win" on these(A3) trucks. Sorry to hear about the trouble, glad you were able to get her running again.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hose setup is one of the worst cases of bad engineering I have ever seen. Everytime the wheel is turned, that hose flexes and tears very quickly. I shortened mine and lengthened the two air lines that feed into it and let them take the flexing instead. It works much better that way.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am having a white/ blue smoke coming out on down shift and cannot get any power...ideas?
When is the last time you cleaned out the check valve on the fuel line on top of the fuel tank? There is nothing but a screen on the fuel intake in the tank and crud plugs up the check valve. This is a very poor design. The symptoms are white smoke from the exhaust and lack of power, until the engine won't run at all. This check valve is easy to clean, but one caveat is that it is very easy to break the fitting off the top of the tank if extreme care is not taken. The fittings are very tight. When removing the fittings, make sure you use two wrenches to avoid damage. I intend to place a fuel filter in-line before the check valve, but that is a project for another day. Anyone with an M35A3 should periodically clean that check valve as it will definitely let you down.When is the last time you cleaned out the check valve on the fuel line on top of the fuel tank? There is nothing but a screen on the fuel intake in the tank and crud plugs up the check valve. This is a very poor design. The symptoms are white smoke from the exhaust and lack of power, until the engine won't run at all. This check valve is easy to clean, but one caveat is that it is very easy to break the fitting off the top of the tank if extreme care is not taken. The fittings are very tight. When removing the fittings, make sure you use two wrenches to avoid damage. I intend to place a fuel filter in-line before the check valve, but that is a project for another day. Anyone with an M35A3 should periodically clean that check valve as it will definitely let you down.

CyrusAres

I purchased on December 22, know nothing about it and have done nothing... it is at a CAT shop now having all fluids and filters changed. The CAT mechanic did not know how to work on the motor as it was "too old". Recommended I take it to another CAT place.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't need to take the truck to a CAT dealer or mechanic to clean out the check valve. The check valve has nothing to do with the CAT 3116 engine. If you have minimal mechanical skills, you can clean the check valve yourself. If not, any decent mechanic can clean the check valve if you show him where the check valve is located. Of course, you might have another problem not related to the check valve that is causing your issues, but it is important to keep the check valve clean anyway so it wouldn't be a wasted effort.

snowtrac nome

there are a few that suggested turbo, I have seen this before on cat engines. if you think it is a problem you just extend the draft tube out to a bucket, where you can watch it. put the truck under load as boost builds it will start blowing oil into your bucket. I did this very specifically on a c-7 bit I have also seen this on larger cat motors to. I also have seen this on a b series cummins, it does happen. general engine condition can cause high crank case pressure, but don't over look the turbocharger its cheaper than an engine replacement

CyrusAres

I took her to a business who services CATs because I know so little and felt she needed a good look from a trained professional before I start trying to do things, was really a trip I wanted her to take anyway so I felt things had been better looked into