• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 from GA to WA, I need ideas.

lonegunman

I won to an M35A3 on the last GL auction. It is in decent shape and my brother lives within 20 miles and will pick it up. He is also a top notch mechanic and will do the services on it after we get the thing.

I live in Wa state and we are planning on driving it here. I figure driving it will be half or less the cost of shipping and we could spend a week or so driving the countryside in a deuce.

It has all the typical A3 perks over an A2 including singles and a little more speed. My only real concern is my brother blowing the guts out of the engine while day dreaming about racing NASCAR in a deuce.

We have a few stops planned to visit a couple of friends and would like to find a few friendly faces along the way.

If this turns out to be a horrible idea, any suggestions for shippers? Ideas on cost?

Last edited:

roscoe

Sounds solid. Just do the intitial pms and secure insurance and temp tags. I'm sure you will find ss help along the way. Best advice, take in easy and be prepared. Good luck and have fun.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your assumption about the speed is incorrect and don't let the fact that you can do 60 MPH make you feel you should do 60 MPH. The A3 is SLOWER than an A2. You are screaming at 50 MPH. You need to push that CAT to about 2600 RPM to get to about 55 MPH. Since you are getting the truck sent to your brother's place, make sure you take the time to get your tags and insurance. The latter is especially important as the former, I am told, is only a fine. No insurance, though, is serious. Personally, I would have the truck shipped. No need to put another 2K+ miles on it in one shot, but that is only my way of thinking. Most guys on this list through caution to the wind, pin their ears back, and have at it. Good luck.

DUECE-COUPE

I say drive it. if it breaks down, you can arrange to have it shipped at that point, and if it doesn't, you get to tell stories of the trip to your friends and us latter. We drove ours to FT Knox, KY, from Florida just after getting the them issued. took our time and got there with out a problem. as for speed, do 50 mph and you should be fine. make sure to check the tires. they tend to dry rot in the motor pool or GL yard. remember, these trucks sat for MONTHS before you got it so again take it easy.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I say have it hauled. If it breaks down...it will do it in the most unpleasant place at the most unpleasant time. Trust me.:cry:
If you count your time for anything, fuel, tire wear, etc...and forget about towing when ya break down....it's a good deal to have it hauled.:-D

Besides...it's cold!!!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If spending that much time in a deuce appeals to you, I say go for it. Especially if your brother is a competent mechanic it should be no problem to make sure the truck is up to it.
taking care of the little things like ....
drain and replace all fluids
replace all filters (keep the good looking ones for spares)
inspect all braking components (I would replace all of the soft lines and wheel cylinders)
repack all the wheel bearings
take a close look at the tires

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Talk with USMC Deuce CPL he bought a deuce from Redstone and drove it up here to WA:
I picked up the deuce that he and his dad drove back to WA.

We put in two springer seats and did a complete service before they left. They towed a Jeep Wrangler back behind the deuce. That gave them a vehicle to use if they had broken down.

The issue with the A3 is that yaller motor in it. Cat engines are very reliable and tough...they are also very expensive to repair...especially if you break down in Frog Fart, MO, and there is no Cat parts house nearby. While the filters can be cross referenced, some parts are only available through Cat......this is where you bend over and take it in the shorts.

If you break down you cannot tow an A3 any distance without dropping the driveshafts....it will destroy the tranny. You can pull it just enough to get off of a road or out of a danger zone.

If the truck sat any length of time you may have fuel issues with gum and crud in the tank.

Buy at least two complete set of filters before you leave so you won't have to be chasing them if you have a problem.

If it is adventure you seek then by all means do the cross country thing.....chance of a lifetime.

Post your timeline and route...there are plenty of good SS folks that will throw you a lifeline if you need it. Most will PM you a contact number and what facilities they have available.

markmontana

I live in Wa state and we are planning on driving it here. I figure driving it will be half or less the cost of shipping and we could spend a week or so driving the countryside in a deuce.
Lone- when you run a map-quest search- try a route that includes Utah. (This link shows the route). It changes the return trip to a more southerly route. Good to stay south this time of year, but best of all- you will be passing Boyce Equipment in Ogden, UT. Worth stopping and meeting them and picking up a few things- be sure to get the overhaul manual from them.

You can park at my place in Ogden (Impact Guns & Range)- which is just around the corner from Boyce.

I also have a place (Impact) you can park and stay in Boise (right off the freeway). Good hotels nearby (Meridian, ID)

waayfast

Like others on here have wisely said-preperation is the key. If you have the time and money I'd say drive it.But if you can wait a while, do. Wait a couple months for better weather.Being broke down a long way from home and figuring it out is just part of an adventure storys are made of for the grand kids.Being broke down a long ways from home in a blizzard or at 30- is the type of misery that could make you hate that thing so bad you'd just as soon leave the signed title on the seat and hitch-hike home.:-D

waayfast

I am 95 miles north of Boise on HWY55.If you are headed to East WA, then perhaps your route would bring you right past here!If so ,we'll help any way we can even if just coffee refill!Also,Alex at Idaho Motor Pool is at the I84 and HWY95 junction for parts if needed.
Jim

Heavysteven

Why not get a price from Eric hot shot transportation get an estimate? I figured I would not lose a day of work, no worries of break down, and no fuel
cost. PM me and I can send you his number. Figure 1.50 per mile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks