• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Ft. Riley Recovery W/ Member Help

RealCavDog

Spent an hour typing an extensive detailed thread, and lost it, so heres the photos now, and details later !

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH !

First set most at GL at Ft. Riley, KS.

Second set most at Cracker Barrel off post

Third set most at Herington, KS.

End shot on side of road taking a break, and close up shots of inside and under to follow soon !

Super quick summary and details later,

1) I bought a NEW A3 better than I could have dreamed !

2) Glen, 91W350 is an AWESOME guy and I can NOT say enough about that, but will when I get time !

3) The guys and trucks in the pictures are Glen and his A2 winch truck, my nephew Josh and my A3, also my GMC C3.

Attachments

RealCavDog

Second set of photos !

Attachments

RealCavDog

Glen ! The details and the story was awesome, and when I went up to add the full tank of fuel to the pre-inspection . . . I lost all !

Again, thank you so much for all your help, and I will repost it again later as an edit to my page one !

Now off to check your thread and out to clean on my new toy !

91W350

That one was as easy as they come, the masses here are due for a few easy recoveries. You did good my man, that red X on the windshield must mean something to somebody, but I cannot tell it meant a thing as far as your truck's condition. That is a nice rig, once again, it was great meeting you guys. Thanks for letting me tag along.... Glen

usafe7ret

Aww aint it cute? That A3 and A2 got together and produced a little C3, then it looks like they went to the church to make him legal...

Nice truck! I am so jealous! :beer:

RealCavDog

Aww aint it cute? That A3 and A2 got together and produced a little C3, then it looks like they went to the church to make him legal...

Nice truck! I am so jealous! :beer:

I read that on my Blackberry and just about died ! I am still laughing about it !

Thats pretty darn good, and you know, my A3 was a bit distracted by that big winch on Glens A2 ! LOL ! Only option I kind of wanted, but will get a bobbed A2 for the winch truck, more likely to get in trouble with a not so cherry toy.

Amazing how small that M105A2 of mine looks now sitting behind my new truck ! Looked pretty big before !

Thanks, I am very happy with it after all the trucks I pondered and passed on !

RealCavDog

Looks like you've got a real truck to pull that trailer now...

So true Harold ! Bid and won the trailer during a deuce deal that went bad, so had to get it after winning it, then started shopping again!

Talk about an excellent example of putting the cart before the horse !

Never thought I would get a truck as nice as the trailer I won, but luck of the draw in this case !

Jay

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one was as easy as they come, the masses here are due for a few easy recoveries. You did good my man, that red X on the windshield must mean something to somebody, but I cannot tell it meant a thing as far as your truck's condition. That is a nice rig, once again, it was great meeting you guys. Thanks for letting me tag along.... Glen
Looks like i picked the wrong one Glen.

RealCavDog

Looks like i picked the wrong one Glen.

Steve, I have been watching your situation from the start, and I will have to say that I feel so very bad for you, and it all went bad after I committed to mine, and read your post about winning a nice one, and I had been a nervous wreck over the whole deal. That was one of the major factors in lining up a back up plan with Glen, because if I had run into a situation like yours, I would have been dead in the water on money, it took all I had saved and sold a trailer, and collected on some favors, to be able to step up to what I prayed was a good one.

I started hunting for a winch A2, maybe to bob, then considered an already bobbed wincher, like Ksm715's style, but when I saw this lot, and an aviation unit from Topeka, and finally the late serial number, I really played it closer than I should have.

I read that on top of the initial problem, the shop seemed to be having issues and only making it even more stressful and expensive for you.

You have my sincerest sympathy for your recovery gone bad, and I pray it starts to get better for you soon.

Jay

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jay that is a mighty NICE looking A3 and Glen that last A2 you picked up looks better every time I see it, and I bet all the wheel bearings arent shot either! Great recovery folks!
KK

91W350

Karl, I thought my sand A2 ran good, that A3 of his just leaps away from me. I had no idea they had that kind of power. I went with good intentions though, if he had a failure, old Sandy was going to tow him home for fuel costs. You cannot beat a back up deal like that... and I brought ten free gallons along out of one of our five tons.

Speaking of fuel, Jay, did you run home on the one tank from Sapp Bros?

RealCavDog

Karl, I thought my sand A2 ran good, that A3 of his just leaps away from me. I had no idea they had that kind of power. I went with good intentions though, if he had a failure, old Sandy was going to tow him home for fuel costs. You cannot beat a back up deal like that... and I brought ten free gallons along out of one of our five tons.

Speaking of fuel, Jay, did you run home on the one tank from Sapp Bros?

The gauge was not really moving, so added fuel, $60.00 @ $3.79, in Neodesha, Kansas, and thats almost home, so I am positive I would have made it, but better safe than walking ! Still need to do the math after fiiling up today, after many local miles of cruising and showing her off to all the folks involved in the planning and support ! AND , the gauge started working after I filled up in Neodesha the last leg to home ! (still wont trust it totally !)

Testing the hour meter, the speedo reads miles, but the trip meter says Kilometers ? So checking it out also, did not think to reset it till today, as you know, I had bigger fish to fry yesterday !

Will post the rough numbers in a day or so, but thinking it really did well considering all and the 45 PSI CTIS setting that worked perfect, for now ! No water in any of the air tanks, and builds FAST !

More later as I work through it, but cleaned it up a bit and set the mirrors, rebent the soft top bows that were sagging, and ready to drive it to work at 04:00 in the morning ! :driver: Well . . . NO shifting ! :jumpin:

Last edited:

91W350

Better knock it off Jay, you will have me looking at the A3s if you keep rubbing it in....

I hope Steve does not have any more issues, that deal is just raw and stinks. Guess that is the gamble we all take, but man oh man, that would sting. Glen