• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 info needed?

citizensoldier

I was not sure where to put this mods so move if you see fit. I did a search and found some chatter about what type of transmission fluid they take but can not locate fuel filter numbers,oil filter numbers,and air filter numbers. Anybody have this info handy?
I have to pick one up for a SS member and would like to have this stuff with me.
How much oil does the engine hold? What normal operating temps for the Cat? Same as a multi? Run if for ten minutes and then check the oil?

Freight Dog

M35A3 Spec Info

I got my M35A3 last December. My first problem was getting a ten foot tall truck through a seven foot high garage door. Well, O.K., calming my wife down after I told her I bought the truck was the first problem...
Anyway, once I got it into my heated shop (no, I didn't use a chain saw) I started draining and replenishing fluids.
I bought a TM, CD from Military Manuals.Com.
With that and a bit of sleuthing I came up with the following:
Fuel/Water separator... CAT 73-9763.
Transmission External Oil Filter...NAPA Gold 1268 or Fram PH 3519A.
Engine Oil Filter...NAPA 1971 or Fram PH 49A.
For engine oil I used, Shell Rotella T, 15-W-40.
For the Allison Automatic transmission, I used NAPA Premium Perf. ATF, for vehicles requiring DEXRON III.
For all the grease fittings, I used Lucas, Red "N" Tacky, #2 Grease.

Normal Idle speed is 750-850 RPM.
Normal Operating Temp for the Cat 3116 is 160-230 Degree's F.
Normal Oil Pressure is 35-70 PSI.
Check the dip stick level approximately one minute AFTER shutting down the engine.
Normal Operating Temp for the Allison Trans. is 160-200 Degree's F.
Low Air pressure indicator light below 60 PSI.
Normal Air Pressure is 90-120 PSI (for the brakes)
CTIS should keep the big Michlein's at 45 PSI for the highway.
Check the coolant through the sight tube on the surge tank. There is a drain on the right side of the radiator. Good idea to flush it and put some fresh fluid in.
The transmission fluid access is under the passengers feet. Pull up the thick pad, you will see it.
If the transmission oil temperature is below 160 Degree's F, the oil level should be below the "COLD RUN" level marks on the dip stick
If the transmission oil temperature is 160-200 Degree's F, the oil level should be between the "HOT RUN" level marks on the dip stick. (Don't let any contamination drop into the filler !)

I bought an "Operation and Maintenance Manual" from Caterpillar.
It says the 3116 shallow sump refills at approximately 21 quarts.

By spring, I had repainted most of the truck. I've had a terrific, trouble free summer with the M35A3. I've put on a little over a thousand miles. I drive on the road mostly, at about 30 MPH. I wish I had a dollar for every time somebody gives me a, "Thumb's Up"!
(Some of the impatient drivers use a different finger...but not very often:)
Bottom line: I'm a hero to my Grand kids. They love riding in it... Even my wife is warming up to it.

Hope this info helps, Freight Dog.

citizensoldier

Thank you Freight Dog that is just the info I was looking for. Its been copied and printed. It will be my first trip in one and I dont want to damage someone elses truck. Should be fun as long as I get thumbs and not fingers.:jumpin:

AceHigh

Here is a curve ball for you. I have not done any research yet, but I totally do not understand the air system on the M35A3. Looks like a filter down there will need attention soon.

Might as well get busy reading up now. :jumpin:

citizensoldier

We need to get the mods to make a A3 section with WIKI's. So it has a filter in the air system.. Hmmm Can you take pictures? I am just getting my ducks in a row for a long road trip in one and like to know how things work.. :wink:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
If you download the Manual for the tranny from Allison , 15W-40 is a approved fluid to use in the tranny and will cause no harm. -Jay

P.S. Dont go flush and replace with Allison Transynd in your tranny unless you want to pay probably what you paid for your truck.

P.P.S , "the air filter in the air system" thats called an air dryer, like what is on most over the road trucks.

Last edited:

Freight Dog

Hi Guys,
Yes, the fuel/water separator filter has a Cat part number. If you have a dealer in the area, he will have one for you.
I would have sent a picture of my truck but I don't know how. I'll try today if someone gives me some guidance. More important, I'll try to post a schematic of the M35A3 air system for you.
C.S., I thought that might be the info you needed. Glad to help.
I'm sure it's going to be an interesting trip.

Freight Dog

AceHigh

Bulldog, thanks. The info you have directly contradicts that earlier by Andy:

I talked to our companies Allison factory rep who has worked for Allison for 20+ years and when I asked him about our Allison 1545 he said what the heck is that thing in??? The number one suggestion he said was get the 15w40 motor oil out as soon as you can as it likes to varnish if worked hard. He highly recommend transynd Allison's synthetic oil.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/47777-m35a3-transmission-problem.html

Wonder which is right?

citizensoldier

My wife is worried that if I spend to much time in one I will buy one.. :D I think she is right on.. How fast will they go? Whats a good road speed RPM for that 3116? Never driven a cat much they tend to be out of my price range. I do have a big one here if anybody is interested.. Government rebuilt 3206 I believe. I think they build them by the pound! :D That is one heavy motor..

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Now I read that also when the thread was new , by all means put Transynd Allison synthetic in the truck. It is better im sure but I got quotes of $48.00 (cheapest) a quart for it. Go to Allisons web site , download the manual for the 1545 and read the list maybe 4-8 approved fluids for it , 15W 40 is listed that will not hurt. Id beleive just about anything Andy would say and about anything from a Allison service guy but its in black and white in the manual and we all know how smEart the Military is when it comes to this but they arent going to cheap out and run 15W40 in the tranny knowing it will hurt it.

Now as you see in search and tons of threads , max she will run 54 mph. Alllll day just fine. It does run a higher RPM than the multi and alot other engines.

Listen to FrieghtDog , he seems to know alot about A3's. Im still learning and know quite a bit about them as someone who has owned one and likes to learn from anywhere I can.
-Jay

And some of what you read in threads on A3's and other things on here are peoples opionion , take some of it as free advice on the internet if you understand

Last edited:

rwoods

My wife is worried that if I spend to much time in one I will buy one.. :D I think she is right on.. How fast will they go? Whats a good road speed RPM for that 3116? Never driven a cat much they tend to be out of my price range. I do have a big one here if anybody is interested.. Government rebuilt 3206 I believe. I think they build them by the pound! :D That is one heavy motor..
Top speed is 56mph. I would plan on 45 to 50 mph maximum depending on the tire balance and alignment. Have fun. Ron

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks