• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Inspection at Camp Beauregard La.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries and tires mean nothing.
Ya think? These tires are not cheap and if the trucks have been sitting on flats for more than 6 months or so, the tires will develop deep cracks that go all the way through to the air.

ryker725

For future reference, will they allow me to hook up batteries, add fresh diesel, attempt to start and drive it back ay forth at Pineville? This was my first rodeo...

3dAngus

Ya think? These tires are not cheap and if the trucks have been sitting on flats for more than 6 months or so, the tires will develop deep cracks that go all the way through to the air.

I'm not speaking on the obvious, or what you do with a visual know nothing inspection.

I'm talking about pumping up the tires with CTIS. Declaring a truck unroadworthy because deuce tires on a M35A3 are flat is nuts.

ryker725

I got the long base m36 .
I had to pay $1305 more in overtime due to unexperienced bidders it went a xtra 45 minutes .
If any of you locals are willing to help out in anyway it would be appriciated .
mark has helped lots of texas trucks go on to other states thousands of miles away .
To my knowledge no a3 trucks have sold in ft sam yet except one totaled truck .
CD
Congrats...

In case you didn't have a chance to preview.. Here are the worst spots on that truck...

Attachments

3dAngus

For future reference, will they allow me to hook up batteries, add fresh diesel, attempt to start and drive it back ay forth at Pineville? This was my first rodeo...
Every site is different. You have to ask. As far as pulling it around the parking lot, NO! As far as pulling up 15', back into place, most will if you put the time into starting it.

They don't want any unnecessary liability with people driving around the parking lot having a joy ride, when they have millions of dollars of equipment out there, plus the personal liability.

You can find out a lot with a slave cable and two freshly charged batteries. A visual does little but to rule out the obvious from obvious damages, rust, etc. but you have a long way to go after that, and starting and warming up is key to a good investment. If CTIS didn't pump up the tires in five minutes or so for instance, you know you need to trailer it home. If it does, you still need to inspect after full pumping for cracks and such. On the internal batteries after startup, you need to check the recharging system and make sure it is doing it's job. And after your buy while waiting for the EUC to clear, it would be a good idea to go back and restart to keep the batteries charged and tires pumped with fluids flowing every couple of weeks of so, if you are within driving distance. If not, maybe someone can help if they are in the area.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It appears that when they redid these trucks they skimped on the primer before painting. Most of that rust damage is just in the "extension" areas on the cowl and hood. While it doesn't look that serious you'd think it was avoidable.

Last edited:

3dAngus

It appears that when they redid these trucks the skimped on the primer before painting. Most of that rust damage is just in the "extension" areas on the cowl and hood. While it doesn't look that serious you'd think it was avoidable.
I agree completely. They had some really serious issues with painting the A3's. Someone once said it was defective primer.

ryker725

I'm definitely learning a lot from the people in here. I'll use the learnings next time, and hopefully I'll be successful in my next attempt. My wife and brother both think I'm nuts, but there is a strange allure to these trucks..

ryker725

And as far as the tires on these lots.. Even though all of them had at least one flat, there were only 3 tires that were obviously split or cut to the core. The rest appeared to be simply flat.

jeep-Jeep

ryker725
were all the tires inflated on lot 30 the m36a3 .
I could not see the right side .
and thanks for the photos it appears some sheetmetal work is in my future .
also is this one of the trucks you tryed to start.
ps mark no problem with a test spin.
CD

ryker725

ryker725
were all the tires inflated on lot 30 the m36a3 .
I could not see the right side .
and thanks for the photos it appears some sheetmetal work is in my future .
also is this one of the trucks you tryed to start.
ps mark no problem with a test spin.
CD
Truck had one flat but it was not cut that I could see. The rest were fine. I reached in and flipped the access. switch and nada.. Dead batt for sure. I didn't climb in and check everything, Just a quick look and see. Inside is pretty nice. The driver side window was down so I rolled up up for ya.. :D Why do they park some trucks and leave the window down so birds and wasps can make nests in them?

I took the rust pics for another member that was interested in it, but I wasn't looking for a LWB truck.

ryker725

In the pic of the hood, you can see where it is bent down like someone sat or stood on it, but it looks like it can be easily popped back out.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I learned one thing about A3's when I had to move one to get to my trailer. If the truck has no air pressure in the system, the air brakes will not release. With the permission of the Sgt. on site, I had to really gun my M818 to push a non-starter out of the way, and at least the rear wheels were locked. If you can't start it, you need to supply air to roll it in neutral. It wasn't until later, that I realized I could have used the trailer supply air hoses to pressure the A3. I was looking for a double gladhand hose to hook up to the front air supply valves. :doh:

AceHigh

I learned one thing about A3's when I had to move one to get to my trailer. If the truck has no air pressure in the system, the air brakes will not release. With the permission of the Sgt. on site, I had to really gun my M818 to push a non-starter out of the way, and at least the rear wheels were locked. If you can't start it, you need to supply air to roll it in neutral. It wasn't until later, that I realized I could have used the trailer supply air hoses to pressure the A3. I was looking for a double gladhand hose to hook up to the front air supply valves. :doh:
TB, are you talking about the A3 trucks? They do not have air brakes and will move just fine with no air.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Y'all are probably right, I didn't really look close at the truck and just assumed it was an A3. The head slap is still valid.

Like Jim said, I think the alternator belts were just too loose, it was just the first time I'd heard the belts squeal since I had it. I'll tighten the belts and see if the problem returns.

Randy, did you get one of the A3's?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks