• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Lessons learned (part 2 of a Recovery)

Thunder in NWOR

When Wendy and Jeff picked up Gunnar and my M35A3 at Ft McCoy and drove it 260 miles to their house, they noted a pull to the right on the steering. After much discussion, Jeff replaced the air hose to the drag link unit, but that did not totally resolve the problem.
When Gunnar, Don and I made the trip to Wendy and Jeff's house to pick up our -A3 nicknamed the Honey Badger, we pulled major PM and motor stables, following the manuels. About a 7+ hour job.
We then took the truck for a "test run", got a tank of fuel, and determined that the right pull was still there.

We did a quick and dirty "string method" as described in the manual to check the toe on the front tires, and made a two turn adjustment "toe in" on the tie rod.
The test run still had right pull.
We went back to "zero" and went on to 2 turns "toe out" and still had right pull. Made one more turn "toe out" and called it good - almost in the dark.
We drove to the dock to catch the ship accross the lake to Michigan and I told Gunnar that we had not resolved the problem.
We dove it another 423 miles from the dock to my sisters house in Ohio, and noted some significant tire wear on the front tires from the trip (and a tired arm...!)

I of course called friends Dennis and Brad (owners of -A3), and Ace Military Vehicle Mechanic Kenny for advice, and got some good ideas.

Gunnar and I took the A3 down to my buddy Dave's shop and put the front up on jacks.
We rolled the tries and noted no drag - either in the brakes, nor bearings -but we figured that as they did not heat up on the trip (we checked numerous times).
We did note that the tire pressure was less than the 45 pounds we inflated the tires to 45 at Jeff and Wendys (we had turned the CTIS off).

We cycled the steering from stop to stop, and let the wheel stop in numerous locations, checking for wheel creep - nothing.
We pulled the air ram from the tie rod and cycled the steering from stop to stop numerous times. There again was no creep, and everything seemed to be OK.

Pulled the small air regulator from inside the frame by the drag link. Clean inside and no obstructions (picked this on up on SS website). put in some air tool oil, and some more on the supply side of the regulator. Put some oil in the intake side of the air unit on the drag link, and both sides of the tie rod piston.
Cycled the steering until Gunnar got tired turning it. The air usage by the system seemed to be as Brad described in our phone conversation.
We thought that the air system was working as it should (by buddy Dave had unkind experiences with air system on an oil field rig 20 years ago. He had to agree that it seemed to be working.)

We then reset the to the "zero" we had at Wendy and Jeffs, and aired all the tires to 45.
By then it was 96 degrees (and about that much humidity) and we had to give it up.
The 2 mile ride home we noticed no improvements - even stopped at the elementry school parking lot and did a couple test runs - pull to right.

We took a break for a couple days due to high temps and humidity - officially 100 degrees at 2pm last Friday in north central Ohio.

Then, Saturday, after a couple of thunderstorms, we again took the -A3 down to Daves, with a new game plan.
We pulled the tires off the front and put them on the back axel, and of course the backs on the front axel.
I then, after a LOT of measurements with a tape, put one (1) full turn into "toe in" from what we had as zero (slightly toe out).
As best I can figure, the measurements for toe (just a little "toe in") now met the manual spec. We made sure the tires were still at 45 pounds.

We pulled out of Dave's shop and before we got 150 feet down the road, I knew we were sweet.
Took the "Honey Badger" to the aforementioned school parking lot and she crossed it back and forth with NO pull in either direction.

So what was the problem?
So I looked on the internet and found something called radial tire pull, in that for no reason a radial tire may cause the vehicle to pull in one direction.
I don't know if that was the problem (would have to swap the wheels and if it pulled left that would have been it).
I do know we were very careful with small increments with changing toe this time, as we were not rushed for daylight as we were at Wendy and Jeffs.
(the manual said adjustments should be made in quarter turn adjustments on the tie rod)

Whatever the reason - I have a great burden lifted from my shoulders.

I also have a much greater understanding that tires could be an area to emphasize on our Alaska Highway Convoy.
(tire care, maintenance, and adequate tire/tube spares.) I am thinking of aquiring a second tire/rim for the convoy.
After swapping them around today, I can say that I believe they are every bit of the stated 384 pounds....!!!!

Anyway - Jeff, Wendy - there is the story of the truck tires, pull to the right. (and Jeff - Brad told me yesterday that he has bought gallons of Cat oil, so I guess I will have to do the same!!!)
Jeff - I regret rushing you to "turn that tie rod a couple turns the other direction" - but I have learned another lesson here...!
Brad - I am thinking that I will pretty much leave the CTIS system off; but I will need to check each tire's air pressure before first gear in the morning and at noon.
Dennis - I wanna hear stories about your recovery.
Ken - thanks for the discussion. You probably think you didnt help much, but I gotta tell ya, just talking it all out with you got me to the solution -which is the desired result!

Mark

(tried to attach picture of friend Don, Jeff, son Gunnar and me at Jeff and Wendy's house during PM and motor stables)

Attachments

goodguyzy

thanks for the post, both my trucks pull to the right and was going to dig into it soon. I was thinking of changing out all tires with something else in the future due to the dry rot problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks