• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 No Electrical for Start

pbranch

Just bot an M35A3. Went to start it to bring it home, flipped on the accessory switch and it buzzed for about a second and went quiet. No power to the gauges, air pressure horn, starter switch. Headlights, heater fan etc work so it is not a battery issue. Previously worked fine. Where can I find a wiring diagram and can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem? I would like to get the truck home!!!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What makes you think it can't be a battery? All that stuff can still work but when trying to start it the battery will exhibit failure mode.

Start with the basics and go from there.

Voltmeter on battery and then load test it if possible. Even the el cheapo form Harbor Freight will give you the answer.

If it isn't the battery DISCONNECT battery then start going through the connections one by one cleaning and tightening like WM said. If you get a wrench across a live one to ground you'll be having a worse day.

pbranch

How do I check to see if the accessory switch is bad? Batteries are new and load test said okay. Everything else seems to power up just fine just the accessory switch that does nothing. Are there fuses or circuit breakers on this truck?

R Racing

You use a meter to check it to see if you have voltage on the output of the switch. I remember when I had figured out it was the switch I'd turn it off and on fast about a dozen times then my truck would start up.

pbranch

Thanks to all who responded to my question especially for the wiring diagram!!:). Took a meter and checked the switch. 24 volts in and two of the three outputs on the accessory switch have power out, but the output powering gauges, buzzer, etc., is bad. Will have to order a new switch (suggestions?). I swapped the wire with a good terminal and have buzzer and gauges but starter only spins and does not engage. Pulled the batteries and will fully charge them, load test them, replace the switch and then try again.

RotorAV8R

I had an intermittent issue with a wire connector plug. Mine has the alternator conversion so has a screw together plug I'll show you. It's on the firewall in the engine bay, driver side, above the steering shaft. It is a large connector and the wiring going in was loose. I also once had an issue with the wiring to the back of the main power/light control switch. The wires just push in and one had vibrated and backed out. I pushed them all in a little and that issue has stayed away thus far.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks