• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 - No Start - Lost Prime

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, I am usually the one providing the answers but I'm stumped on this one. First M35A3 I have worked on.

I am working on a stock M35A3. I was told that the truck had been running and was driven on and off the transport. Parked for over a year.

The fuel tank was dry so I added 15 gal of fresh fuel. Followed the TM instruction on bleeding the system (crank, cool off, crank again). No cigar. Tried using some starter fluid. It would hiccup but not start.

So I started reading all the threads. Checked and cleaned the check valve on the tank (it moved freely when I removed it). Changed the fuel filter. Checked the fuel cutoff. Pressurized the fuel tank.

Check valve is item # 24 in the diagram

Check Valve.jpg

Still nothing. Cranks good and fast, just no start.

Today I will remove the inlet fuel hose at the transfer pump and clean the check valves.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What ever happened to M35A3.net? I was hoping to get all my answers there. ;-)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Checked the fuel level. The pickup tube was a couple of inches below the fuel level.
Double checked the check valve at the tank.
Checked the shut-off switch on the dash. It is functioning correctly.
Checked for voltage at the fuel shut-off. A-Okay. The shut-off clicks with voltage applied.
Checked the functioning of the inlet check valve on the pump. Looked good.

Still no start.

I think I will attempt to provide fuel from a can, bypassing the fuel hoses. While I didn't see any wet spots on the hoses, it is possible there is a pinhole and the pump is sucking air.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an A3. Totally different fuel system than the A2. There is no pump in the tank. and there is only one fuel filter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A3 uses a mechanical "transfer pump" on the engine to draw fuel from the tank, send it thru the filter and onto the injectors. The injectors are where the pressure is built up.

ca1517

Not sure about an A3, but on tractors with the 3116, there is a manual hand pump, so when you run out fuel, you can reprime the system. When all else fails from this, I have removed the air cleaner, soaked a rag in gas, and held it in the breather housing with someone else cranking it over. The ATAAC engines are hard to start after running out of fuel

Carlo

Is there a hand primer on the motor? I'm not familiar with the CAT motor but if it has a primer can't you verify fuel to the filter and then to the pump? Turning the motor over with one injector loosened?

welldigger

Pressurize the tank and crank it over with the gas pedal to the floor. A3's don't like their fuel systems being deprimed.

If puffs of smoke exit the exhaust while cranking that is a good sign. If not then you may have another issue.

Hoefler

Open peacock valve at bottom of fuel filter and pressurize tank until fuel runs out. Close valve and give it a try. This worked for me.
if fail, it could be the "rack" on top of engine. A cat mechanic buddy of mine told me that mis adjusted rack will cause hard or no starts.
pete

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No manual fuel primer on the M35A3 3116 engines. I wish there was.

FMJ, I remember reading that but totally forgot about it. The other details outweighed the solution. Thanks for reminding me.

I will see if it helps and document how to do it.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over the weekend I gathered some parts for my attempt at getting the truck running.

Today I assembled my contraption, hooked it up, set the throttle pedal and cranked the motor. After a couple of attempts she came to life. Runs perfect.

I will be documenting the solution after my Patent paperwork gets back.

Thanks FMJ.... ;-)

Last edited:

goodguyzy

I ran my truck out of fuel, tried to start it for a few days but no go. I figured it would be a good time to change the fuel filter while its non op. When I pulled the filter the fuel smelled more like tarnish than diesel, truck would smoke while trying to start and hiccup but that's it. Im wondering if I need to flush the lines out. What was the final verdict on getting the truck to fire back up.