• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Noob questions

Franc Tireur

Loving my truck. Few questions though:

1. It seems to have a governor...a hex bolt sticking up under the gas pedal. Should I leave it be, crank it down to allow more pedal movement, or remove it?

2. How important is it to let it idle after running to cool the turbo? Should I do this every time, even 10 min short drives around town, or just after long trips of over 30min or so?

3. I'm thinking of repainting it...any place to get stencils for the markings?

Thanks.

tomcata3

1. let it alone
2. If its a 10 min ride- its up to you, longer ride- must do it unless you want to hurt engine
3. I have some- depends on what you want

AceHigh

1. It should not rev over the max RPM. I would leave it alone.

2. Cool down is very important. The oil will coke if shut down in a hot turbo. A short trip just use your judgement.

3. There are several stencil places. I prefer paint masks for a sharper look. These can be ordered as a kit for the entire truck- you just supply the info. Real easy. I will get you a link for the supplier I usually use.

Found it! He is a member here and does a great job.

http://www.i2k.com/~schwarzd/m35a.htm

Last edited:

Hoefler

The whole deal on 5 minute cool down is more to save the spinning turbo. If you drive one mile wide open-you need to let it idle for 5 minutes to allow spinning turbo to slow-with the engine not running, there is no oil flow to turbo bearings.
If you drive for 1 hourt but stay out of throttle before stopping-the turbo will already be slowing. In this case the 5 minute rule is conservative.
Higher rpm means more exhaust gasses that are spinning turbo. The faster its turning-the longer to get it slowed.
Make certain to get in the habit of checking your oil.
Some members run their trucks at full RPM and dont report problems. Others like me tend to limit engine speed to 2500 RPM-less piston speed means better fuel economy and more seat time!
Enjoy your truck-the A3 really a great truck and fun to drive.
Pete