• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

guns1977

Thanks I was wondering about it. I will get my air tank and rig up a pressure line to make sure it engages.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks I was wondering about it. I will get my air tank and rig up a pressure line to make sure it engages.
You can normally hear the fan engage over the sound of the engine. I never have mine engage while driving, but if the truck sits and idles for a few minutes after warm, the fan will engage.

When air pressure is applied it should disengage. In the current state, not running with no air pressure/connection, it should be engaged and you should not be able to turn fan by hand. If indeed the fan clutch is shot, now is the time to repair it when the radiator is out. If not, you will need to pull it, or disconnect it and tip forward. Ask me how I know....

Timberwolf22

Do any of my fellow M35a3 owners know where to purchase an additional fuel check valve for the top of the fuel tank on the a3?

My valve is bad and I want to replace it as well as have a spare on hand since it appears to be an issue with the a3 fuel system that comes up often.

I have checked with a few local MV shops without success.

Please PM me with any recommendations.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do any of my fellow M35a3 owners know where to purchase an additional fuel check valve for the top of the fuel tank on the a3?

My valve is bad and I want to replace it as well as have a spare on hand since it appears to be an issue with the a3 fuel system that comes up often.

I have checked with a few local MV shops without success.

Please PM me with any recommendations.
I don't know where you can buy a replacement, but are you sure it's bad? The check valve is a simple device and I was able to clean mine and make it look like new, although it took about 30 minutes of picking out the crud.

Icegore

Hey Guys..Question for ya. My department is in the process of turning a M35A3 into a brush truck. The truck runs beautifully but we have to use the ether cold start everytime its cranked. No matter how long we allow it to run and warm up. I've heard several possiblities from locals who don't know it seems that its something to do with the valves which is a 2 grand job or it simply is designed to be used with start assist . any ideas thanks...btw its a cat engine with a seriel of 5RM05463
with the year 1993 preceding it and the axels have a year of 1998 on them. Thanks again

Hoefler

Have a buddy that was a master cat mechanic-has experience with these engines. He has explained the shut down of these engines-something to do with injector staying open on start up. If they are not set right, you will need to crank a lot to get the engine started. The issues is an adjustment on the head.
Pete

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Guys..Question for ya. My department is in the process of turning a M35A3 into a brush truck. The truck runs beautifully but we have to use the ether cold start everytime its cranked. No matter how long we allow it to run and warm up. I've heard several possiblities from locals who don't know it seems that its something to do with the valves which is a 2 grand job or it simply is designed to be used with start assist . any ideas thanks...btw its a cat engine with a seriel of 5RM05463
with the year 1993 preceding it and the axels have a year of 1998 on them. Thanks again
My A3 always starts easily, less than one revolution by the starter unless the temperature is very cold. I would first change the fuel filter and clean the check valves before proceeding further if you haven't already done so. These CAT 3116 engines start and run well.

sierra117

When the weather is warm my truck starts fine but when it gets cold I usually have to plug my frost plug heater other wise it takes a bit of cranking to get it started. I'll have to try replacing the fuel filter and see what that get me.

Icegore

Have a buddy that was a master cat mechanic-has experience with these engines. He has explained the shut down of these engines-something to do with injector staying open on start up. If they are not set right, you will need to crank a lot to get the engine started. The issues is an adjustment on the head.
Pete
do you think you can get a link to exactly what we need to do or is it something that would be definately in the engine manual. I'm in the process of waiting the local cat dealer to provide us with a manual. Thanks

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you think you can get a link to exactly what we need to do or is it something that would be definately in the engine manual. I'm in the process of waiting the local cat dealer to provide us with a manual. Thanks
Replacing the fuel filter is straightforward. You will likely need to rod out the drain cock on the bottom as they tend to fill up with crud. I rod mine out, open it and then crank over the engine to let clean diesel flow out. The check valve that plugs up first is located at the elbow where the fuel line is connected to the fuel tank. Be careful not to break off the elbow as it is weak. Hold the elbow with a wrench while loosening the connector. Cleaning it is relatively easy. You may also want to drain the tank and clean it out at the same time. Accessing and cleaning the check valves is not in the TM. Do a search on SS and you'll find threads and posts on this procedure.

TurboTim

Its called injector syncing. There is a fuel rack under the valve cover that needs to be adjusted. This is what controls your fuel. The cat tool is over $1000 I found a tool from a company called Meyer. It came with a DVD and was super in depth and well done. I think I paid $180 for it but once you see all the dial indicators and adjustment tools you will understand it was well worth it.

air leak - swivel branch tee on firewall

A few earlier posts discussed air leaks, has anyone else experienced problems with leaks from the plastic swivel branch tee, see attached picture. Leak is occurring in the swivel (by grey nut in picture). I checked the schematics in the TM and it feeds the fan clutch and goes to another 3 way splitter (compressor, air horn, ?). Any recommendations of best replacement part and other insights (similar to post #400). If I'm going to get into the air system, I would like to do it all at once... and only once. Thanks.

IMG_0450.jpg

Deuce007

wires on steering gearbox

I was doing a walkaround my truck today to see how it was doing during its winter hibernation and I noticed that the front driver's side leaf spring had a fair amount of oil on it. I was able to trace the leak the the steering gearbox so I think that I just have to tighten the drain plug to solve the problem, but while I was down there I noticed a wire that came out of the top of the gearbox and I am just curious about what is the purpose of the wire?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks