• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

Hoefler

My hose is shot so I have replaced it with a vinyl hose picked up from a local Menards store. Its a 1" OD x 3/3" ID hose that I am splicing in. It simply takes exhaust air from steering to intake. I have found the standard A3 ducting hose is usually in good shape in the engine bay but pretty crusty and week in the outside wheel well. I am replacing this section up to right where the original hose passes through groumet in fender. Looks nice too.
Pete

Deuce007

Just to clarify so that I don't mess up anything too badly, what hose should I disconnect to add Marvel Mystery Oil to? to hose with the red x, the orange x, or the blue x (pictured below)? I just want to make sure that I don't add it to the wrong hose and have it travel through the air lines and reach the ctis manifold or the air dryer.

Attachments

motomacguyver

Just to clarify so that I don't mess up anything too badly, what hose should I disconnect to add Marvel Mystery Oil to? to hose with the red x, the orange x, or the blue x (pictured below)? I just want to make sure that I don't add it to the wrong hose and have it travel through the air lines and reach the ctis manifold or the air dryer.

On mine, I didn't like the routing of the hoses off the bottom of the air actuator "thing" in your picture. so I put 90 degree fittings on and had the hoses go away from the front tire. I also replaced the large hose that goes to the air cleaner side with something more durable. Mine was broken also. It is important to have a good hose here, if the hose is bad it could let dirty air into the intake of the engine. 2cents2cents2cents

Hoefler

I disconnected the blue X at the frame-then poured MM in till it was full. Re connect and drive around. Did that a couple times with about an hour run time in between. Mine works really good-not as good as hyd steering but nearly.

Deuce007

My hose is shot so I have replaced it with a vinyl hose picked up from a local Menards store. Its a 1" OD x 3/3" ID hose that I am splicing in. It simply takes exhaust air from steering to intake. I have found the standard A3 ducting hose is usually in good shape in the engine bay but pretty crusty and week in the outside wheel well. I am replacing this section up to right where the original hose passes through groumet in fender. Looks nice too.
Pete
Will the vinyl hose stand up to the heat?

Hoefler

I will install the hose from steering arm, along original route and then pass just through the groumet hole in fender. That is the point where I will connect original hose. Heat should not be issue-soon will find out.
Pete

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found that if you lengthen the two hoses feeding the large hose, the smaller diameter hoses will flex much easier and not put so much strain on the large hose. That being said, you have to be careful how you route the hoses to make sure the hoses don't interact with the tire or get pinched by the steering mechanism. That whole design on the A3 is horrible. I have never seen an A3 without that large hose being torn up.

Hoefler

Agreed. Every other A3 I have seen has the duct hose torn up if not crusted out. I did replace my compressed air hose that goes from the frame to the pitman air. The braded hose seemed to leak and create real hard steering. Replaced with cammozzi fittings -90 degress elbow and push fit hose. This set up has less fittings and better run. I think I will do what you did on the exhaust lines-a couple of cammozzii elbows and lengthen some will make the set up better.
One thing that has me puzzled-given these trucks are off-road vehicles, it seems more attention would have been paid to running the lines for steering. I would think much of this could have been routed inside wheel well for more protection. The original routing is very prone to a branches.
Pete

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing that has me puzzled-given these trucks are off-road vehicles, it seems more attention would have been paid to running the lines for steering. I would think much of this could have been routed inside wheel well for more protection. The original routing is very prone to a branches.
Pete
I absolutely agree. This was a very poor design from the start, and all A3s are the same as far as I've seen. When I extended my hoses, I used hose that was compatible with fuel, hoping tht would help them last. My original pressure line to the steering actuator was leaking like a sieve.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up 319s A3 today. So can I join this thread..? lol..!

Erick did me a solid and I am pleased to say the least. God I love the SS brotherhood we take care of our own..!

Thanks 319..!

Brianmontesa

Hi there. Just bought an a3 from GL have not picked it up yet. Batteries are dead. Where do I get batteries? Worried about driving all the way home on a jump. THANKS.

Brianmontesa

I want to go stock. I saw it has two square batteries in the tray. Was looking for a dimension or part number. I don't have any batteries I can spare out of a other vehicle anyhow. Thanks.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to go stock. I saw it has two square batteries in the tray. Was looking for a dimension or part number. I don't have any batteries I can spare out of a other vehicle anyhow. Thanks.
Might be fine with just a jump, but if not, stock 6TLs are $150 or more each. I'd go to Walmart and get their largest CCA. Should be about $75 each.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up 319s A3 today. So can I join this thread..? lol..!

Erick did me a solid and I am pleased to say the least. God I love the SS brotherhood we take care of our own..!

Thanks 319..!
Thanks Don,
Take care of that truck, keep it clean, none of that dirt stuff on it. Watch the curbs, don't scuff the tires. Keep the dipstick (the Cat's) lubricated, and empty the air tanks every night.

KsM715

If the batts are dead dead, Dont drive it on just a jump. Theres a good chance you fry the alt. Stop at wally world and get 2 big batteries and put themin for the drive home, then you can look around for the cheapest 6tls you can find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks