• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Owners unite

treessw

Well, it is what it is. We used to live in an apartment, this house was a massive step up....... but it has taken a few years for me to realize that MV's aside, I want a house with some space so my boys can play. Luckily we have a bunch of equity, so once the kids are a little older and we can ditch the live in nanny were gonna bounce to a place with some space!

Only the lug nuts are threaded to tighten to the front. All the other wheel bolts on both sides are RH thread like everything else in the world.

One other option that might work better that I discovered the other day is "balancing" around some of the nuts on the wheel. For instance, the nuts that hold the CTIS valve on are two RH deuce lug nuts, then you have two more deuce lug nuts holding the guard on. Those are big nuts. If I wasn't going to take the CTIS off, I would replace the two lug nuts on the valve and on the shield with the smaller 3/4" 16tpi nuts, then move the extra lug nuts I now have to the other side of the wheel. I think that would balance things out a bit better than just adding more weight total to the other side......... but I've never tried it so I don't know.
Holy freakin cow!!!!! Your on to something Holmes!!!!! Thats fantastic!!! OK I am going to try it!!! I'll get it done tomorrow and run it and see how it goes!!! Sweet idea!!!!!! Thanks

mktopside

Banned
Holy freakin cow!!!!! Your on to something Holmes!!!!! Thats fantastic!!! OK I am going to try it!!! I'll get it done tomorrow and run it and see how it goes!!! Sweet idea!!!!!! Thanks
No problem ;-)

You'll feel a difference right away I'm sure, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't totally go away all at once. It took about a thousand miles of driving for my tires to wear out the scalloping that was caused from the wheel hop I'm sure it had all it's life.

goodguyzy

these threads are getting really long, maybe we should start a general A3 discussion every month. On a side note, i was wondering what the plug on the passenger side is? radio? havent followed the wires to figure it out yet.

treessw

No problem ;-)

You'll feel a difference right away I'm sure, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't totally go away all at once. It took about a thousand miles of driving for my tires to wear out the scalloping that was caused from the wheel hop I'm sure it had all it's life.

Oh I have no doubt that it wont totally solve the issue but its a wonderful idea!!! and at this rate anything is better at this point. Thank you

motomacguyver

This plug is used to do an electronic diagnosis of the operating systems, Now I think the only thing on the A3 that this "diagnoses" is the transmission, and maybe the CTIS? ( I have read that the cat 3116 engine is fully mechanical) YRMV. The TM calls it a (STE/ICE-R) simplified test equipment/internal combustion engine-reprogrammable

treessw

Well, it is what it is. We used to live in an apartment, this house was a massive step up....... but it has taken a few years for me to realize that MV's aside, I want a house with some space so my boys can play. Luckily we have a bunch of equity, so once the kids are a little older and we can ditch the live in nanny were gonna bounce to a place with some space!

Only the lug nuts are threaded to tighten to the front. All the other wheel bolts on both sides are RH thread like everything else in the world.

One other option that might work better that I discovered the other day is "balancing" around some of the nuts on the wheel. For instance, the nuts that hold the CTIS valve on are two RH deuce lug nuts, then you have two more deuce lug nuts holding the guard on. Those are big nuts. If I wasn't going to take the CTIS off, I would replace the two lug nuts on the valve and on the shield with the smaller 3/4" 16tpi nuts, then move the extra lug nuts I now have to the other side of the wheel. I think that would balance things out a bit better than just adding more weight total to the other side......... but I've never tried it so I don't know.
OK swapped out the two extra lugs and replaced with cheap ones, added a little extra weight besides the two deuce lugs opposite side of CTIS and BAM its freakin sweet!!!! Awesome idea. I did not need near the amount of extras per wheel. used the 2 deuce nuts and one extra grade 8 inbetween the two and smaller nuts to bolt CTIS cover back on and it was a huge diference. Still a little ballancinng may be needed but WOW what a change. Thanks for the great idea!!!!

mktopside

Banned
these threads are getting really long, maybe we should start a general A3 discussion every month. On a side note, i was wondering what the plug on the passenger side is? radio? havent followed the wires to figure it out yet.
There is a lot of compiled info in this thread that I think is useful to others. If the search function on this site wasnt as terrible as it is, or if we had our own sub forum, I would agree. But I think since were all already here, until we get up to page 100 or something we should leave well enough alone.

.......besides, all the A3 hateraid that was spilled in here at the start has dried up. If we start a new thread it'll attract the haters again and one of us will hurt someones feelings. :)

EXITNOONE

please verify or deny the following statement in a concise response:

A3 wheels are acceptable and safe to use with MICHELIN 395/85/r20 XZL because those tires are not MPT

EXITNOONE

thank you for the link ACEHIGH

to be redundantly clear:

A3 wheels and MICHELIN 395/85/r20 XZL tires
are NOT advisable because
395's are not MPT bead

correct ?

ApopkaFL

Banned
Not trying to take anything away from Steel Soldiers, I am own a domain called www.m35a3.net I am going to be building a forum just for us owners of the A3s. Look foward to see everyone over there in next few days after its done.....

Rodman

UH-60 Driver

Topside - you mentioned that you'd had problems with HOA titleing your M35A3.
I've just won a M36a3 from GL (am picking it up mid May) and was planning on titleing it with Antique plates and my M416 trailer with permanent plates there in VA. I figure it'll save me some $$ since I wouldn't have to re register every year if I do it in Virginia. Am I right in thinking this'll save me some dough? I'm just coming off an active duty overseas deployment so I can claim any state I please when I get back to the States. :grin:

Basically just trying to figure out which state is the best/cheapest and least painful to register my vehicle in....

mktopside

Banned
Topside - you mentioned that you'd had problems with HOA titleing your M35A3.
I've just won a M36a3 from GL (am picking it up mid May) and was planning on titleing it with Antique plates and my M416 trailer with permanent plates there in VA. I figure it'll save me some $$ since I wouldn't have to re register every year if I do it in Virginia. Am I right in thinking this'll save me some dough? I'm just coming off an active duty overseas deployment so I can claim any state I please when I get back to the States. :grin:

Basically just trying to figure out which state is the best/cheapest and least painful to register my vehicle in....
I had problems with my Home Owners Association, but I now just park the truck in the garage so they can't say anything.

It's not hard to title it as an antique in VA as long as it's more than 25 years old. Mine came with a title that says it's an 83, but I still have it registered as truck. I don't really think there is any benefit to registering it as an antique in va, unless your insurance company has special rates. Other than that, the only upside to tagging it as an antique is you don't have to get a state inspection every year.

mktopside

Banned
Well, no inspections should save a little time and money. How does your insurance company classify your truck? Is it a 'pickup truck' to them? :?:

"M35 Military truck" is what's on my card. Allstate really didn't seem to care when I told them all the specs. I sent them some pics just to make sure they knew what they were insuring, wasn't a problem. I pay $46 a month.

I guess VA is a good state for insureing these trucks.

The state inspection thing might be worth it, as I still haven't found anyone who will legitimately inspect mine. I can "buy" a sticker, but I'd rather not go that route if I don't have to. You are limited to IIRC 2500 miles a year on antique tags in VA. I haven't got them because I have put 3000 on mine since January.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks