• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 questions

mktopside

Banned
did anyone mention that no air came out because the tank had to much water in the bottom and was froze?
That could be whats wrong with it, but I don't think the petcock would turn if it was frozen. I'd avoid the heatgun, most of the air lines are plastic and so are the drain valves.

I'd worry more about tires randomly exploding on the ride home like the guy in the other A3 thread; than not being able to un crud the drain. I seriously think you'll be cool with a coat hanger.

On a lighter note:

I went to charge my batteries tonight and found a mummified frog in the battery box. I decided to leave him there to scare off the electrical gremlins. If you'd like I can loan him to you for a week or two with express instructions to keep an eye on the oil pressure sender.

Last edited:

Loganwood

Yeah I saw the tire exploding post. Better add a fire extinguisher. Dang man, I need another deuce to haul my chit up there. Better get to looking, another auction tomorrow;) There's worse addictions I guess.

Loganwood

Yep. Plenty of reading before I jumped in. 180-190 miles. But we are gonna take back roads home and make it slow, easy and enjoyable, hopefully. Now gotta find that oil gauge tomorrow.

mktopside

Banned
Yeah I saw the tire exploding post. Better add a fire extinguisher. Dang man, I need another deuce to haul my chit up there. Better get to looking, another auction tomorrow;) There's worse addictions I guess.
It would make an interesting psychological study. Worse addictions that have serious adverse life effects? Sure. Fast acting addictions that have little adverse effect; but cause a significant change in how you spend your time, money, and effort in life? I dunno, this one ranks up there pretty high.

It's interesting how the slide into the MV world seems to happen at the same rate for everyone......FAST. It's also interesting that it doesn't seem to matter what your previous hobbies and interests were.

Loganwood

Well, that's probably true. Also makes me think a new thread may be in order, but I'll search before i post it.Thanks for the useful help also everyone. I think I now am more prepared for my recovery

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
did anyone mention that no air came out because the tank had to much water in the bottom and was froze?

if it is frozen a coat hanger should work if the ice isn't to thick. Ive heard BC is pretty fast lately.
If we look back at Post #1 of this Thread......

On to the inboard tank. It was cold the day we went to inspect. If the check valve was frozen, would that keep air from being in inboard tank? I can't tell from the diagrams.
Or could it just be plugged petcock? I had everything with me i could think to bring, except a piece of wire to shove in there......
Looks like alot of folks missed that option and we all chased some other rabbits. :jumpin::driver:

Last edited:

Loganwood

Well, been busy for last day or so and didn't have time to post. But it seems USA is posting above the original thought I had. If the check valve between the 2 tanks is frozen, can any air get into the inboard tank. That is what I can't tell from the schematic diagrams, is the outboard tank filled first and then air flows through the check valve to the inboard tank or are they filled simultaneously and the check valve just prevents failure of the system in the event of complete loss of one tank. If the former, then there may be nothing in the inboard tank if the check valve prevents any air from getting in there if frozen. Just can't tell how it's plumbed from the schematic I have. Plus I'm not really ready for this thread to die yet. Please feel free to hijack with general a3 discussions:lol:

lonegunman

Good luck on the road trip. I toook mine over 2000 miles to get it home with not problems at all. The tire exploding guy had a dry rotted old tire from God knows where on an A2. If you have tire concerns, look at the amount of weather checking and the date codes on the tires. I had two new 2008 steer tires and the back four are original 1998 dated tires. The rears are all weather checked and in good shape with 90% tread anyway. I have seen trucks with six new tires with recent date codes.

If you are worried about air pressue, when the tires fill shut off the CTIS and stop it from working. Unplug the drain hole before over thinking everything else.

I checked my trans temps with the temp probe off of my voltmeter and it was perfect. The truck ran at 48-50 mph all the way home without a hitch, 12 hours a days or more for five days.

Good luck and post pics.

Loganwood

Thanks. I read your epic recovery thread. Don't know if I coulda done that trip. My little jaunt of 180 miles will pale in comparison, but shouldn't be a problem as everything looked perfect other than the mentioned issues. Brand new filters and fluids etc. Now I'm finding myself checking my euc status and email about 3 times a day. Now I'm gonna have a beer and look at pictures of my truck:D

mktopside

Banned
Since General A3 hijacking is allowed:

Don't forget to bring your wheel weights!!

These trucks wobble because the weight of the CTIS and Shield is more than the weight of the counter weight. I used 5, 3/4-16tpi nuts from the bolt store, per wheel to help balance things out. Just put one on the counter weight stud, then two on each stud flanking it. You can also use RH lugnuts for the deuce if you have them, but since they are bigger start off with 3 per wheel.

Now my vibration is gone with the exception of sweeping turns at "flank speed" ;) (53mph) I'll feel a very little bit of wobble, but nothing like it was before.

Let's see, what else did I do this week.......

I switched the diff's and T-case to M1 75w90 syn. ($$$. But it's much cheaper when you buy it in 5 gallon pails) I didn't notice any difference, but I did have better gas mileage on this past tank. I can't directly attribute the increase in mpg to the fluid, it could have been I just hit less traffic on day, or didn't floor it as much.

What is the range on the trans temp guage? How many mV/degree? Mine appears to read about 50 degrees more than it should. I would expect the trans and engine to start out the same when first starting the truck, but the trans starts out 50 degrees higher.

mktopside

Banned
Mine doesn't work. I've never hauled anything with it, and the fluid condition looks good, so I haven't worried about it too much. Another one on the list!

I had seen that post about the guy who let a friend take his A3 to pack down some snow and burned up the trans. So, so I was worried at first. Drove.it several hundred miles.with it reading hot, and the fluid smells like new. It did have engine oil when first picked up--not atf like it has now. Dextron III.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks