• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 questions

mktopside

Banned
I had seen that post about the guy who let a friend take his A3 to pack down some snow and burned up the trans. So, so I was worried at first. Drove.it several hundred miles.with it reading hot, and the fluid smells like new. It did have engine oil when first picked up--not atf like it has now. Dextron III.
Same guy I bought my truck from LOL. He had it rebuilt so the first thing I did when I got to his place was duck under the truck to make sure the trans didn't look freshly messed with. Maybe I'll work on that tomorrow since I have nothing else major to do at the moment.

FWIW, rebuild AT1545P's are all over the place and are not exactly expensive. I saw at least 10 the other day for around $1500 each. If I nuked mine though, I would really look for something else to put back in that has an OD.

AVM hubs ordered today, I'll post some pics of the install. I know I'll have to cut up the CTIS shields to make them fit.

It is interesting to note that if I keep the coolant system full (keep replacing what is lost to expansion), the trans does run a lot cooler. I asked a mechanic at the local Cat dealer (who worked in the motorpool on Bragg) about this loss of coolant (thinking I needed a new.cap) and he said.that all A3s would puke out about a gallon of coolant and that the normal level was.about 4" below the cap. What really has.me.wondering, is why there is not a coolant recovery container like all modern cars and trucks. Going to install one and see how it works.

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
It is interesting to note that if I keep the coolant system full (keep replacing what is lost to expansion), the trans does run a lot cooler. I asked a mechanic at the local Cat dealer (who worked in the motorpool on Bragg) about this loss of coolant (thinking I needed a new.cap) and he said.that all A3s would puke out about a gallon of coolant and that the normal level was.about 4" below the cap. What really has.me.wondering, is why there is not a coolant recovery container like all modern cars and trucks. Going to install one and see how it works.
I'm glad you brought that up!

Mine does the same thing, I even replaced the cap. I don't know why it has a regular radiation cap when it appears to be designed like a sealed cooling system. Ive been looking around for a nice overflow bottle to stick in mine, I'm sick of it puking in the same spot everyday at work.

What kind of coolant are you guys running? Mine looked like poop when I drained it, I mean it was gross. I ended up flushing and refilling it with "Final Shot" extended life diesel coolant. I like to change my coolant often regardless of what coolant I use, but I wasn't sure if I really needed to run this super expensive stuff or not.

It shure is nice to finally have a general A3 questions forum where we don't have to constantly be.berated by some of the.smug A2 owners for our choice.of MV. There is plenty of room for all of us in this hobby.

mktopside

Banned
It shure is nice to finally have a general A3 questions forum where we don't have to constantly be.berated by some of the.smug A2 owners for our choice.of MV. There is plenty of room for all of us in this hobby.
Lololol.... I admin a private forum that my friends and I use to chat and shoot the s*** while were at work. Since we all live around the world, it's nice to have a private place on the net.

I seriously considered making an A3 subforum there and inviting A3 guys via IM, just so we could chat without being told to "read the TMs", or how ugly our hoods are. Lol

An A3 forum would be nice. I nominate the Hippo as our official mascot.

goodguyzy

OK this A3 forum thing is already been said before, and still true. I think the anti-A3 sentiment has tampered down a bit. I don't know why some members are so anti-A3 anyway. I have an A2 and enjoy both of 'em.

mktopside

Banned
OK this A3 forum thing is already been said before, and still true. I think the anti-A3 sentiment has tampered down a bit. I don't know why some members are so anti-A3 anyway. I have an A2 and enjoy both of 'em.
Another part of the problem that I found really confsing when I first started looking for info here; is that there are so many a2 guys that don't realize how little in common the trucks are. So you'll see someone ask a question, and someone responds with an answer that is not only wrong, but could be dangerous or damaging to the truck.

Loganwood

Another part of the problem that I found really confsing when I first started looking for info here; is that there are so many a2 guys that don't realize how little in common the trucks are. So you'll see someone ask a question, and someone responds with an answer that is not only wrong, but could be dangerous or damaging to the truck.
Yep. Found that out earlier in this thread with the compressor lube question. This site has been amazingly helpful..now, I just search a3 plus whatever question I have. Seems to help, but still got to wade through a lot of stuff thats not applicable. Maybe I should just buy an a2 also. I feel the itch and I'm trying not to scratch, dangit! Guess I could always sell the one I liked least. Or start a collection:beer:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I now have both an A2 and an A3 I just acquired and I have to admit I don't know which one I like the most. I like them both - they are completely different vehicles.

Loganwood

Customer notified!!!! Pickup at wright pat Friday I hope. Euc 23 days, and first one at that! Hope it makes it home now. If anybody is on the way down I-75 south from Dayton to south of Lexington, Ky and wouldn't mind being on standby in case of emergency, pm me please. Weather is supposed to be, well, challenging and I can't wait. I'll see if I cant figure out how to post pictures.

greg burns

Similarity to A2?

Compared to the A2, does the A3 require that you let the truck idle for 5 minutes before driving and then again for 5 minutes before letting it shut down?

Thanks.

greg

Compared to the A2, does the A3 require that you let the truck idle for 5 minutes before driving and then again for 5 minutes before letting it shut down?

Thanks.

greg
That is what the sticker on the dash says. At least the cool down part. The bearings in the turbo don't like the oil to get coked up if shut down too hot. On startup, most guys will take off not long after reaching full air pressure.

mktopside

Banned
That is what the sticker on the dash says. At least the cool down part. The bearings in the turbo don't like the oil to get coked up if shut down too hot. On startup, most guys will take off not long after reaching full air pressure.
Considering mine will never reach operating temp at idle on a cold day, I try to be on my way as soon as I can after I hit full air pressure. I take it easy for a few miles until it's warm. Cool down is never an issue, by the time I'm done parking, setting chocks, and locking up it's been just about 5 min. If I stop somewhere on the way home I just lock it up and leave it running.

Loganwood

Made it home with mine. Slow and cold as the heater quit working half way home. Of course it's worked fine since then. Oil pressure gauge is still wacky so I'm installing a mechanical gage this week. Windshield washer pump doesn't work and inboard air tank is still frozen, although I did get some gunk out yesterday when it warmed up a bit. It's a rough starter when it's cold too. Gonna put in a block heater asap. Anybody got any suggestions on what type and where. All info I came up with on here is a2 stuff. Other than those minor issues it's perfect. Man I love driving that thing!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks