• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 rear diff center sections NG

HFDm715

My Fire dept has an M35a3 we received from Forest Fire service, It has served us well for the last 6 years with Water rescue and Brush Fires, I have Pm'd it every year, changed all the fluids, and flushed the rears when they were contaminated with water , getting ready for Fire season this year, and found both rear center sections have bad bearings on on the shafts the yokes are attached to, started to pull it apart tonight and also found the intermediate shaft that also has bad bearings, is this common? the front diff is good, but am going to have to rebuild both rear center sections. am wondering due to that fact it doesnt have a power divider and they are always engaged if thats the nature of the beast.

Duane

Last edited by a moderator:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had the bearings go bad, but I've had the pre-load go away and the pinion start to wonder!
Same here. Had to re-adjust preload there, more than once, while the bearing still looked OK.
I think this happens more often when the cup fits too loose in its bore, allowing it to rotate and slowly "eating" its way into the retainer.
Re-installing the same cup with some Loctite 620 would probably help, but not sure for how long, given the relatively high temps...?

G.

Jeepsinker

High temps? After a long drive (~200 miles) or so my diffs are right at 100*F , measured with an infrared temp gun on the top portion of the housing where the pinion bearing rides. My rear axle runs 100* on the front pinion and 158 on the rear, so I figured my rear bearing might be going bad.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, yes: too hot to keep my hand on it for long - but that is after hours at red line (-> 2600 eng. rpm), in our summer time.
And I actually had the "rear" bearing in mind... That is the larger one, next to the pinion, which gets all the load.

G.

HFDm715

Not only is the idler shaft really loose, but after taking the inspection cover off the side, found the intermediate shaft has some play too. Just ordered to nos center sections from eastern surplus, we have to go there and pick up 2 new tires, I will rebuild or rebearing the ones we take out and keep them for spares. We have a 500 gallon skid tank on the back.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Same here. Had to re-adjust preload there, more than once, while the bearing still looked OK.
I think this happens more often when the cup fits too loose in its bore, allowing it to rotate and slowly "eating" its way into the retainer.
Re-installing the same cup with some Loctite 620 would probably help, but not sure for how long, given the relatively high temps...?

G.
What about the red loctite? I don't know which model numbers are what, but I thought the red was good up to about 500*?

Jeepsinker

Not only is the idler shaft really loose, but after taking the inspection cover off the side, found the intermediate shaft has some play too. Just ordered to nos center sections from eastern surplus, we have to go there and pick up 2 new tires, I will rebuild or rebearing the ones we take out and keep them for spares. We have a 500 gallon skid tank on the back.
Nice when you don't have to pay for the parts isn't it?