• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 rear wheel bearing packing, with photos

jstier

I have been in the Bearing industry for almost 24 years now.
Timken and all the other bearing mfg price according to volume not how much it costs to mfg.
Finding another to mfg would not be cost effective for them based that there are only around 6000 M35a3's.

jstier

How different are these bearings a substitute couldn't be found and modified if necessary?
First of all. Bearings are made of 52100 Bearing steel and are mfged to such high tollerances. We are talking down to Millionth of an Inch. There are a few companies out there that can modify bearings, but it is costly. Mainly we use these guys to make us assemblies that have a long leadtime and cost isn't the concern and much as just getting them.
Bearing have a pretty high Rockwell and normally have to be ground. Grinding make alot of very small particles that are not easy to remove from a assemblied bearing. You would be amazed how clean a new bearing is when removed from the factory package. You should never remove any bearing from the factory package until you are ready to install. And never wash a new bearing. The factory preseritive is compatable with any form of lube out there.

Here are a couple pics of a bearing for a steel mill. Costs about $55,000.00 ea and weighs 2700lbs

Attachments

Last edited:

Thunder in NWOR

jstier: Since this is an assembly w seals there should be more numbers on it IE 902A1. Normally found on outer Race

Here are Numbers:
Inner bearing: NSN 3110013991251
A-50085
RCSK-14778
395WE-902A1
Outer Bearing: NSN 3110012991253
A-50086
RCSK-14776
392E-39202C

....and thanks for the 'not washing' tip!!!

Last edited:

michaelpilot1

Where did you get the outer wheel seals? And what adhesive did you use?

I got the outer wheel seals at Erics surplus but they are available at many MV parts sales places, it seems all M35s use the same outer seal. It along with a small piece to cork gasket keeps the diff oil out of the outer bearing and hub center, although I am not sure the cork does much on the A3s since there is an oring below it to seal off the air for the ctis. The part number of the outer seal is 7061238. The only sealer that I used on the whole job was a very light bead of permatex aviation sealer around the outer circumference of the inner seal where it presses into the outer race of the inner bearing.

jstier

For those of you following this tread.
Good news and Bad
Timken will sell them to me @ & 425.00 ea, But will not have stock till July 2012

PS I did find some on an online auction site while I was searching for other things this morning. EGAY or something like that.

Jeff

Last edited:
There are industrial suppliers that specialize in bearings and seals that may be able to get you the parts fairly cheap.
There is one here in no. va. that has bailed me out many times over the last 40+ years.
Recently I needed a special bearing called a "cam yoke roller". It is a special type of Bering that is no longer available from the machine's supplier.
This Bering and seal supplier had them on the shelf!

e

jstier

There are industrial suppliers that specialize in bearings and seals that may be able to get you the parts fairly cheap.
There is one here in no. va. that has bailed me out many times over the last 40+ years.
Recently I needed a special bearing called a "cam yoke roller". It is a special type of Bering that is no longer available from the machine's supplier.
This Bering and seal supplier had them on the shelf!

e
I work for one of them. Applied Industrial Tech. Formerly Bearing Inc or Dixie Bearings down South. We have over 400 locations nation wide. we sell bearings, seals, chain, sprockets, Electric Motors, Gearboxes, tools, and tons of other stuff. Anyone can buy from us and we do alot of walk in sales.

Last edited:

jstier

Great info and pictures from jstier .

My cousin has been making bearings for nearly 30 years with American Roller Bering in NC.
I have background in metallurgy myself. A "simple" bering is actually quite complex.

After reading this I'm glad I didn't buy an a3.

e
I deal With ARB alot, they are a good company. They make alot of speciials that no one will even quote due to being obsolete or low demand, and charge accordingly. But a great asset in my industry

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for checking on it Jeff. Still insane, but only half insane now! Time to watch GL auctions, if they're getting rid of A3's I assume bearings and parts will follow?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been trying to talk my wife into a "parts" truck, but she sees through that one. One parts truck would turn into a running vehicle needing a parts truck...... Like the shampoo commecial......

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just bought an A3, haven't even picked it up yet. But I've been trying to search and read all the maintenance threads concerning the A3.
After reading this thread, and seeing the prices for wheel bearings on the A3. Checking and Repacking the bearings is going to be one of the first things I do.

I've looked into the TM's about this, but they don't seem to give much info. I've also tried searched more here on SS, but with only limited results. Is there any articles here or elsewhere that show a more detailed breakdown of Wheel bearing removal and repacking procedures?
Is the A3 pretty much like repacking any other trucks wheel bearings... only larger? :confused:

Thanks in Advance!

michaelpilot1

The TMs are not very clear as to the packing procedures since the seal is not replaceable and the new bearings come prepacked with the seal installed I guessed them to not be repackable. That being said I repacked mine and was glad that I did since the outer seals had leaked diff oil into the bearings that washed the grease out. My plan is to run the new grease for a while then dissassemble to insure that the seals are not damaged. I did not remove the seal from the inner bearing's inner race to repack but gently forced grease into the small end of the bearing so as to minimally disturb the seal. Good luck on the recovery, send some photos when you get the A3 home.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks