• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Rebuilt?

H1Alpha

I was under the impression that the M35A3 was rebuilt from frame up from an M35A1 or 2. Did AM General actually build A3's from ground up? The reason for this question is that my A3 is titled as a 99. I would much prefer that it be titled the year the frame was built. I can't seem to find anything on the frame other than the A3 serial number. Was I wrong?

welldigger

The a3 was built using 3 a2's to assemble 2 a3's from the best components with the new drive train and nose. The year is the contract date. Not always the year of construction. There's no telling when the frame was made.

H1Alpha

Shouldn't the A3 have an A2 serial number on the frame? I am trying to get out of a 1999 manufacture date on the title (taken from the contract date) so that I can get historic plates. Needs to be 25 years old, or pre-1988. If I can show an older serial number, that will get me to the A2's contract date...

welldigger

I am not aware of any serial or vin# on the frame or chassis/cab other than what's on the data plate on the dash. I have an a2 and have been over and under and through every nook and cranny greasing and changing oil/ finding leaks. I haven't heard of anyone else finding a number there but I'm by no means an expert.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Inside the left front wheel stamped on the frame, is a serial number.
Yup, mine was covered by several heavy layers of CARC paint & undercoating. After removing all the overburden, you can just barely make out the VIN stamping on bare steel...it's easy to cover up.

Some A3 owners have found "evidence" of the donor truck(s) on their A3. I have not found anything on mine yet, but I'm still looking.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under the impression that the M35A3 was rebuilt from frame up from an M35A1 or 2. Did AM General actually build A3's from ground up? The reason for this question is that my A3 is titled as a 99. I would much prefer that it be titled the year the frame was built. I can't seem to find anything on the frame other than the A3 serial number. Was I wrong?
The original A2 VIN should be there. However, you are going to need to convince the State of California to not only change the year of manufacture, but also the model and VIN numbers on an existing title. I doubt you will have luck with that. I'd leave it titled as a 99 A3 if it was me. Changing it will likely impact a later sale.

H1Alpha

The original A2 VIN should be there. However, you are going to need to convince the State of California to not only change the year of manufacture, but also the model and VIN numbers on an existing title. I doubt you will have luck with that. I'd leave it titled as a 99 A3 if it was me. Changing it will likely impact a later sale.
Currently the truck has an AZ title with the year being 1999. The wonderful State of California has determined that any vehicle with an older diesel engine will NOT be able to be on the road in 2015 without an ENGINE CHANGE if it is registered as a commercial vehicle. Historic vehicles are EXEMPT. This would definitely have to be registered as a commercial vehicle, even though there is nothing commercial about it. That is unacceptable to me. If I can convince a private registration service that the year is mistaken, that can be changed much easier than the motor. If I have to title it as a 99, I'm screwed. Other people here had better take notice of the new laws coming into effect, or they are going to be seriously disappointed with their vehicle purchase. What I have going for it is a perfectly visible A3 serial number on the frame. The VIN on the title matches that. I think that with proof that the vehicle frame was manufactured way before that, I have a shot.

Last edited:

welldigger

All I have to say is 1, thank god I don't live in California. And 2 I'm getting the feeling this will turn into a nightmare.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sympathize with you. Definitely search for the A2 VIN. It is stamped on the frame just behind the drivers wheel. There are a lot of posts on SS about how to locate the VIN. The stampings are sometimes very hard to read as some of them are light stampings. You will likely need to remove a lot of paint and undercoating to see it, but it should definitely be there. The VIN or S/N should be an 8-digit number for Army trucks. The last two digits of the registration number indicate the year of manufacture. As an example, my A2 has a registration number of: 4N21469, indicating that the year of manufacture is 1969. Another option would be to keep it registered in Arizona and hope California doesn't catch you running AZ plates. Good luck!

Scarecrow1

I wish you luck but in the end I don't think you have a prayer. When the US Government puts a stamp on it it stays . The A3s were a pilot program to extend the use and life of the Deuces one more time and it failed. But like most doomed programs they took the technology developed in the A3 and other programs of the times and came up with the FMTVs. In a real sense they are made up of the old Deuces and new ad-don's just like the A1's and A2's but the problem is the data plate when it was introduced and delivered into service . That is what is going to be almost impossible to change ..... Good luck ...your going to need it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks