• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Recovery from Barstow - 370 miles

ClarkeF

I bought the M35A3 sight unseen and uninspected from GL at a Barstow auction in September. I had been watching both A2's and A3's and reading the back and forth on the board for months since the Fiancee saw an A2 for sale at the Papago Park Mil Vehicle show back in January of last year and said "I want one!". (She's obviously a keeper! :)). In the end I decided I wanted CTIS like my Hummer and the Cat/Allison combo for ease of driving.

The Deuce in my avatar is one of the GL auction photo's. No obvious issues like 6 flat tires from the CTIS, but missing bed rails, seats and cover. It was a hard top and while it didn't have the winch I wanted, it was within reasonable recovery distance and as an A3 might have fewer problems than an older A2. I posted to see if anyone could do a pre-pickup inspection for me. I received a reply from Hundy saying he was headed up to pick up some other stuff and would look for it.

Hundy later called and said that they had been unable to find it in the GL lot, there was one A3 and it might be mine but they weren't sure. It wouldn't start so I knew batteries were first on the recovery list. Hundy, armed with my auction and lot number was able to find it on the next trip and once my EUC cleared, and with paid invoice in hand, he and his son Brian drove up to see if they could drive it the 30 miles to his lot. It started with a jump, brakes worked and so they got it down to his place where it stayed for close to four months... I struggled with work and schedule to collect friends and drive the 370 miles from Scottsdale AZ to Hundy's to pick it up.

Thanks to my friends Rob, Matt (M35A2 and 5-ton tractor owner) and Rob's son Jake, along with my son Josh we were able to pull together tools, fluids, spare filters and belts and drive out finally two weeks ago.

We left Scottsdale at 5am and thanks to some enthusiastic driving by Rob arrived at Hundy's at a 11:30. We had a plan of attack - check all the fluids, change the batteries, bleed the brakes (which took the longest) and check the brakes/lights and signals. In looking it over, it's in good shape mechanically but so-so cosmetically. As a coincidence, CARNAC ran the reg number for me (Thanks!) and it was a 180th Field Artillery truck out of Phoenix AZ. The gov't hauled it to Barstow to sell and now me and my friends would be driving it back to Phoenix!

Only issues - a broken springer seat, worn serpentine belt, dead batteries, no working head lights, no working brake lights, a dented hard top, grease from one of the knuckle boots, a torn drivers seat, and a dead Tach. By 1:15pm we rolled out the gate and locked up behind us. Thanks to Brian and Hundy for letting us steal a three-level light switch, and a air-pack brake switch off one of the other deuces parked on the lot to ensure a safer drive back to Scottsdale. That got the headlights and brake lights working. Fluids were good except for the coolant which had a black/oily color. We got the brakes flushed - hard without a pressure bleeder - with a gallon of DOT 5, tightened a hose clamp on the surge tank that was leaking and put air in the tires.

The brakes have a pretty long throw before they start to work - but they do grab good! I need to check the brake adjusters and make sure the shoes are set properly. Truck ran cool and pulls away smartly! It's faster off the line than Matt's A2, but dies an early death at just over 50 MPH. 4th gear in the Allison 1545 tranny is 1.1 to 1, not even direct drive. These trucks need an overdrive.

I found out shortly after pulling out and driving a short distance to lube the seals (as per the dash 10) that the CTIS was inoperative. So we pulled over, hooked a hose to the gladhand and aired all the tires up. Interestingly one of the front-rear tires was effectively flat with 4 psi in it, but it didn't look like it. The tires were flat spotted from sitting for so long (see the video) - that smoothed out as the tires warmed up and after adding a bit more air to all the tires to take them 50PSI.

As we approached I-10 we stopped once more to check the truck over for leaks, a food break and fresh fuel. From then on it was drive at about 48 or sometimes 50MPH back to Phoenix. We swapped drivers every few hours and
drove pretty much non-stop. The truck is much quieter than an A2. With hearing protection you can talk almost normally and understand your passenger. You could drive it without hearing protection at need, I wouldn't do that in a A2 - it's much more painful on the ears. For this trip I bought and used an aircraft intercom setup which was nice).

About 100 miles from Phoenix during a check/swap of drivers at a rest stop, the knuckle boot that had grease was now showing light hub oil on the inside of the wheel. We pressed on.

We arrived home at close to 1AM, having completed about 750 miles in a day round-trip. The truck ran like a champ. The tach started mysteriously working mid-trip and then died again before the end. Coolant temps, tranny temps - all normal with almost no rise even up the long grade to Chiracho Summitt. Got passed by pretty much everything and anyone, but it was nice to travel at a slower pace. It was okay when driving the deuce, but a bit frustrating in the chase truck when following behind...

I'm really happy with the truck. The Fiancée is happy the the truck. My son Josh is REALLY happy with the truck and has been showing it to all his friends... The next weekend, we drove the truck (knuckle leak and all) to the AHMTA (Arizona Historic Military Transport Association) show at Falcon Field. It was a neat show with 58 military vehicles from jeeps to a B17 that was giving flight rides on Saturday for a donation towards upkeep.

Now I need to find a replacement drivers seat, flush the fluids, fix the dented roof, paint the truck desert tan, check the brakes, fix the CTIS and on and on. :)

Thanks to all here on SS that posted information about recovery, what to bring and what to look for. We had a smooth recovery thanks to that information and knowing what to look for when we ran into common problems.

Cheers,

Clarke

Attachments

cessnatwin

Post pics as your are going, thats a nice ride! Love to see her when you repaint it. How long you think it will take? Gonna do it slow or go gung ho on her?

ClarkeF

It's gonna be a slow one. I'll fix the axle leak, check the brake adjustments, fix the seat and tach and do all the fluids. However I have a HMMWV that I'm converting from a M1038 to SpecOps config that is ahead in the queue.... Right now that's getting a new floor panel as someone chopped holes in the panel and tried to add reinforcements with some plate aluminum and a few hundred rivets.

ClarkeF

Hey Clark-- Great recovery story- thanks for sharing. Sorry I couldnt be there to help when you picked it up!

Post up some pics when she's done!!!
Mark,

No problems. Your son was great and the ability to "steal" a couple critical parts meant that we were much safer - and didn't have to stop when it got dark. It was neat to see all the different tires you had, and the big tires on that bobbed truck near the gate - you should post some pictures of it.

I really like the look of the XL replacement for NDT's that were on one Deuce.. Thanks again for helping me with the pickup and storage (for a very reasonable fee!)

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ClarkeF,

Great choice, I am glad to hear you rolled the dice and won. What a great feeling, huh?

100dollarman,

Thank you for offering a "safehouse" for us fellow members. Your graciousness and generosity is appreciated and an inspiration.

Carry on!

Rick

bevanet

Glad to hear you made it. I'm in Chandler Az. Just wondering if you took an AZ temporary license with you or if you licensed it at all? Did you have to stop at the inpection station when you crossed into AZ?

ClarkeF

Unfortunately the online servicearizona.com site will not issue a 3 day trip permit if the VIN has never been in the system before. I visited a 3rd part DMV and they issued me one right quick. Insurance was through State Farm - non-commercial use on a Commercial Policy.

I did not stop at either the CA or AZ inspection stations on the back back. If it was an issue, they certainly could have caught up with me tooling along at 49MPH... :)

Clarke

Glad to hear you made it. I'm in Chandler Az. Just wondering if you took an AZ temporary license with you or if you licensed it at all? Did you have to stop at the inpection station when you crossed into AZ?

tjphoto

Nice looking truck. What part of Scottsdale do you live in I am at Hayden and Oak. Just picked up a duece front the Falcon Field Aircraft museum. We went to see Hundy about KOH time he great just did not have what I was looking for. Let me know if you want to do some mild wheeling never had mine off road yet maybe a Sycamore Creek or the Lake before it gets to hot.

ClarkeF

I'm at Cactus and Scottsdale. Haven't wheeled the Deuce yet, but will. PM me your email and I'll contact you off board.

Cheers,

Clarke

bevanet

ClarkeF, do you use a local state farm agent that knows about their truck policies? If so would you share his/her contact info? Thanks, Erik

AWheelsOhio

Hey great story man. She looks like a real nice fixer upper. I can see the wheels are pretty worn down. Let me know if your looking to replace them or need new nuts.

Enjoy and thanks

trooper632

like the green t shirt, what type of temp title and/or insurance did you have to get to get it home, you can pm me if needed. i may be making a road trip for a recovery

lonegunman

I also use State Farm, I got the same thing, non-commerical use of a commerical truck insurance for about $277 for six months. I plan on using it for some projects around my place and did not want to try for collector type insurance as they typically forbid driving the truck, loading the truck, off road driving or hauling anything with the truck.

I also got a three day trip permit and checked in Georgia as well. Georgia said they required no permit and I had 30 days to get tags. But if I got stopped I had a permit from my home state, insurance and proof of ownership, as well as proof the truck was maintained recently.

I retired from the military last year and look like I'm supposed to be driving a unit truck, most folks waved and I putted by at 48-50mph.

The commerical truck weigh station thing is a little gray. 1. I was not a commerical truck. 2. I was not loaded or over the min weight in a couple of places. 3. Nobody seemed to care anyway. Even the folks who sold me the trip permit said they thought I could ignore the weigh stations.

My alternate plan was to wear my uniform blouse and cap and remember old times, but we did not have to do that.

ClarkeF

like the green t shirt, what type of temp title and/or insurance did you have to get to get it home, you can pm me if needed. i may be making a road trip for a recovery
Arizona offers a 3 day trip permit. Usually you can buy them online and print at home. However since the Deuce had never been titled the serial number wasn't in the system. I visited a 3rd party DMV and they looked over the form 97 and for $4.50 I received a temp tag/trip permit. I did need to show my insurance card though.

I insured the Deuce for liability only at 100/300/100k with a commercial policy for non-commercial use through my State Farm agent (see previous post). I also saved about $700/year by moving to State Farm from Allstate - who I had been with for over 12 years...

I still need to take the truck in and title it and get tags.