• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a3 rim leaking

marbaja252

I switched out all 6 tires 14.5x20 to some new 395's this weekend and 5 of the six went well to say the least. I have problems with 1 and have broke it down 2 times replaced the rim o-ring & the pipe ring too, tightened up and reinstalled on truck, airing up through CTIS valve and at about 45psi you get a leaking sound at the hole where the pipe comes through the rim. I have soaped it and it in coming between the rim halves. I am thinking I have a area yet that needs some rust removed.

Any ideas from you experts that I should look for? Rims were all in very good shape other than a few spots.

Also any input on air psi a guy should run in the 395's XZL Mich.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeyboyarmy

Probably some rust or pitting from rust where the o-ring seats. I've had luck in the past by cleaning them real good and building the pitted surface back up with primer and paint. At assembly I will seal the two mating halves with some silicone to keep contaminants from getting to the o-ring

welldigger

Probably some rust or pitting from rust where the o-ring seats. I've had luck in the past by cleaning them real good and building the pitted surface back up with primer and paint. At assembly I will seal the two mating halves with some silicone to keep contaminants from getting to the o-ring
You nailed it. The tm states that the o ring should be dry. However, I have excellent luck with smearing silicone o ring lube on the o ring before sandwiching it between the wheel halves.

tomcata3

are you using the runflats that came in the 395s, I had the same problem, the run flat is 10" were as the bead lock in the 14.5s are 11", so I changed back to the rims that came with the 395s. the ctis will not put enough air in them, they call for about 90 psi, I run about 70 psi and removed the ctis

marbaja252

I stopped by my friends shop and now I have 2 flats on the right side and right front loosing some too. Crap down to 50% of the tires holding air now.

Looks like I will be getting another work out Friday night to get this corrected. I would say further inspection of rim halves, additional cleaning, & some sealant is in my future.

Thanks guys.

trukhead

Wehring recommended to me to use this product liberally between the rim halves, on the O-ring and the air filler pipe grommet.

http://freylube.com/

It seems to seal leaks and imperfections as well as seal metal from rust supporting moisture.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the wheel halves are separated, I use a wire brush wheel on a drill motor and clean both halves. I then paint the o-ring sealing surfaces on both halves with Rustoleum high gloss black paint. I wait a week to put back together to make sure the paint is fully cured. I install the O-rings and valve stem grommet dry, as the TM instructs. Never had a leak. Make sure you torque the valve stem nut 45 - 60 foot-pounds. Most leaks are the grommet, not the o-ring. It's best to replace the brass nuts as they are commonly rounded off.

marbaja252

Ok gaining ground I think, took off both leaking tires rims, broke down cleaned up more, lubed up and put back together. Capped off pipe with spare tire valve and aired to 65psi. Soaped good rim halves pipe, rear pipe o-ring area held for 30-45 min no loss. Reinstalled back on truck hooked up CTIS again, aired up, soaped those fitting nothing external, but loosing air again!!!. 2-3 psi in 15 min!

Has anyone heard or seen a CTIS valve go bad and leak backwards?? I know there must be a one way type check valve inside. This wheel before the tire change seemed to hold air ok.

I can see now why it seems to me most people bypass this system. Mine will not take the tires up to the 45psi setting anyway.

Anymore ideas would be great. Thanks

tomcata3

yes air can leak backwards thru ctis if the valve on that tire is bad, put cap back on an air it up, if it still leaks
then it maybe the runflats like i said in post #4

marbaja252

Sorry for the delay in getting back into this thread. I am running the bead locks from the old tires 14.5 xl's. I have 6 new wheel valves and some new plastic fittings and will be tackling this project as soon as I can get a warm shop. This spring/summer & fall was not bad, but this cold winter has been a pain. Need to get to the bottom of this.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m35a3 O-rings are about .170 in dia., regular truck O-rings are about .250 dia. Using the fatter O-rings in a3 rims has stopped any leaks in this area for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks