Thank you! One of the things that encouraged me to start this project aside from dry-rotted tires was seeing the documentation of others who did it before me. There was a lengthy thread from awhile ago showing that it was safe to switch from 14.5R20s to 395/85R20s with M35A3 rims, and another user made a PDF guide. I asked many questions myself, watched some YouTube videos of other Steel Soldiers members doing tire swaps with the bolt-together rims, and decided to take the plunge in doing this project.
I'm documenting this project here myself because I'm an engineer by trade and a total nerd and think that I might add some details and other touches that I believe would've been nice to know about when learning about doing this project. I am also doing this project mostly by hand; I don't have a tractor with a hoist and forks, or a hydraulic engine lift, or any equipment specifically for working on tires. I'm using the tools I listed in the first post, and a few additions that I'll have to try to remember to add when I'm all done with the tire swap. I'm probably going to print this topic to PDF when I'm done and save it on my computer, and print a hard copy to include with my truck documentation.
The main motivation for me to do this myself was to buy the appropriate tools to allow me to work on my truck instead of paying a shop to do the job and relying on them. The local tire shops wanted $100-$150 per wheel to just replace the tire on the rim ($600-$1000 total), but I also wanted to de-rust and re-paint the rims, and possibly restore the CTIS to working order. I'm not sure I could trust the tire shops here to do that correctly, or they didn't want to do it anyway. So I had a choice to make: Pay someone $1000 to do it, maybe
to my satisfaction, and get it done in about a week, or use that money (ideally less than $1000!) to buy myself the tools to do it now and in the future. I went with the tool option
The downside of doing this all myself is that it has taken me months
to do with whatever spare time I have, which is usually an hour and a half at most per day and maybe 3-6 hours on the weekend, although I am learning ways to do things more efficiently with each wheel I complete, speeding up the job as I go along. I hope to make up for this year's lost driving time starting in a couple weeks
That said, this has been an amazing exercise, both physically and mentally. I'd rather tell my coworkers that I exercise by mounting and installing 400 lb 46" wheels on an Army truck instead of taking a half-hour walk up and down the road
I'm also very happy to see that I can safely move and mount these heavy wheels unassisted - I just scooch the wheel onto the hub like I do with my daily drivers, using the hydraulic jack for fine adjustment. And I can say I've done it!