• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 rims and tires fit on m135?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to keep in mind.....the a3 rim has a different bead than the other deuce rims.........so using the a3 with the 395 tires, from what I hear is a no no.........not enough rim bead to support the tire.........I have been thinking of A3 rims for a while but was told I would have to stick with just a couple of choices on tires.
I've explained this more than once but for safety's sake will repeat it every time... (see this old thread; or another more recent post, here) :
Although not the perfect combination; mounting- and using a typical 395/85R20 (non-MPT tire) on a (MPT-style) A3 rim is not really a problem or risk to do. Doing this is OK.

BUT: NEVER do it the other way around: like mounting/ running 12.5R20 or 14.5R20 (MPT)tires on the Canadian 20x8" wheels for example, or recentered FMTV, MRAP, HEMTT, 5ton combats, etc, all of which are industrial NON-MPT wheels. Doing so IS DANGEROUS!! Absolutely a NO-NO!!

(hoping all my diagrams will help to understand why...)

G.

Last edited:

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the safety concern. I was considering running the Michelin XL 12.50R20 41" Tall 12.50" Wide x 20" on stock M135 wheels. Sorry, I don't frequent the "Mod and Rod" forum. I definitely will research it further before I make any purchases. Thanks again for looking out for all of us and everyone else on the road. We really need to police ourselves. A couple accidents and the whole bunch of us will suffer. Thanks again for watching our backs, I really respect that.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will the Michelin XL 12.50R20 41" Tall 12.50" Wide x 20 tires fit on the A3 wheel? I have a wheel off and will measure the backspace. The 12.50 tire might be more readily available. Does it have the MPT Bead?:popcorn:
YES and YES.
(Backspace of the M35A3 wheel is about 10.4").

.........rim width and backspacing data for each of those examples, and any the other rims available (LMTV) that fits the deuce directly or with an adapter. A simple spreadsheet with the data would be a tremendous resource.
Thanks for that suggestion, Rick! I know that most of that info has already been posted here, somewhere...; but never all in one spot or even in form of a data sheet. Will try to come up with something useful, soon...

Some quick numbers here, regarding those wheels picured, from L to R:
HEMMT(2pc): 20x10/Bsp=8.9; M35A3: 20x11/Bsp=10.4; MLVW: 20x8/Bsp=9?; M35: 20x7.5/Bsp=10.5"

G.

Section8

Anyone have opinions on the best radial tire to put on a MLVW 2 piece rim?
Keep in mind these are the canadian rims! NOT the M35a3 rim.
Yes I search and there are so many tire and rim threads that my particular question is lost to an answer somewhere in it all.
I have read lots of them to know.
Would like to be able to get commercial available tires that aren't speed restricted to under 50mph.

Anyone have opinions on the best radial tire to put on a MLVW 2 piece rim?
Keep in mind these are the canadian rims! NOT the M35a3 rim.
Yes I search and there are so many tire and rim threads that my particular question is lost to an answer somewhere in it all.
I have read lots of them to know.
Would like to be able to get commercial available tires that aren't speed restricted to under 50mph.
Not many big off road tires allow for more than 55mph. The Goodyear MV-T's are rated pretty high. When you say "commercial" do you mean an "over the road" tire?

For some good info, see post #35 & 36 HERE

Section8

Yes I am meaning a tire that you can buy at mostheavy truck tire shops. I was thinking an on/off highway type tire.
Lots of dump trucks typically run this type of tire. Heavier lugs for of road use but not so extreme as to be wandering on pavement.
For my application my rig would be mostly run on pavement with moderate of road and even then it isn't like I am gonna be rock crawling. Pushin bush and touring logging roads or field rescues when the wife get her truck or the tractor stuck in the mud and mechanical services on my farm that the extent of my off roading.
Think a large version of your typical allterain 4x4 truck tire.

trucknut

The XL12.5 will mount on the stock rim. There are lots of pic of them on both stock m35 and m135 rims. Look at eastern surplus and alfa heaven for said pictures.

Section8

Does any one know if the 2 piece rims/ a3 rims are cast, stamped, or spun metal?
More over can you weld on these rims?
I am still contemplating getting 4 of the canadian MLVW( I think) rims that have some bolt holes cut out for 50 bucks a piece.
Thinking about cutting the hubs right out and making a flat plate hub in its place. In essence making them a 3 piece rim unless I would be able to weld the plate in place to keep it a two piece rim.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does any one know if the 2 piece rims/ a3 rims are cast, stamped, or spun metal?
More over can you weld on these rims....
Both wheel halves are hot-rolled; stamped and/or laser-cut parts, assembled together by welding; then machined.
A custom made center plate could be bolted or welded in place. No problem... (for someone who knows what he's doing...!)

G.

HonkyCat

... BUT: NEVER do it the other way around: like mounting/ running 12.5R20 or 14.5R20 (MPT)tires on the Canadian 20x8" wheels for example, or recentered FMTV, MRAP, HEMTT, 5ton combats, etc, all of which are industrial NON-MPT wheels. Doing so IS DANGEROUS!! Absolutely a NO-NO!!...

G.
Gerhard,

Hoping you can tell me what would be an appropriate tire to run on the Canadian 20x8 wheels (MLVW, right?) would be. The stock wheel was a tubeless Michelin XL, right? Could a Goodyear G177 or Firestone T831 be used on this 2 piece wheel, and tubeless? I could not find any concise information as to whether the G177s or T831s in the 11.00x20 size could be used on an appropriate rim without tubes.

HonkyCat

I am still contemplating getting 4 of the canadian MLVW( I think) rims that have some bolt holes cut out for 50 bucks a piece.
Thinking about cutting the hubs right out and making a flat plate hub in its place. In essence making them a 3 piece rim unless I would be able to weld the plate in place to keep it a two piece rim.
Section8,

What about cutting the centers out of the MLVW rims and welding in M35a2 centers? Wouldn't this give you a cool tubeless 2 piece 20" stock-looking deuce wheel? Anxious to see what Gerhard says about tire options for the MLVW wheel. If the outlook is good... maybe I'd take a couple de-mil'd MLVW rims. Hmmm...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard,

Hoping you can tell me what would be an appropriate tire to run on the Canadian 20x8 wheels (MLVW, right?) would be. The stock wheel was a tubeless Michelin XL, right? Could a Goodyear G177 or Firestone T831 be used on this 2 piece wheel, and tubeless? I could not find any concise information as to whether the G177s or T831s in the 11.00x20 size could be used on an appropriate rim without tubes.
1) I see no reason why a 11.00R20 (G177 or T831) would not fit nice on a MLVW rim.
2) I know that the Michelin 11.00R20 XL actually is a TL-tire (which "may be used W/tube")
3) I cannot guarantee that those particular tires - the G177 and the T831, which are sold as TT (= Tube-Type) - would hold air just like a TL-tire when used W/O a tube, on a tubeless rim. You may give it a try, by eventually using some tire sealant around the beads when mounting. Just keep checking TP often enough until you know the truth...

I have (successfully) run TT-tires - with NO tubes - before, but every case is different...

G.

Section8

I did pick up those MLVW rims for 200 bucks for all four of them. One is completely unmolested!
However I still plan on having the hubs turned out and making flat plates in their place.
I did contemplate the duece hubs put in place turned backwards for added backspacing but decided against it in lew of the easier option of flat plates.
Tires will be the next donting task since the rim seat is so deep unless I can score some cheap military surplus which are hard to find in my next of the woods.
Sure wish I could post pics from my blackberry again. Still haven't figured out what I did to make me not be able to post pics.

HonkyCat

Thanks for your input Gerhard. I would certainly like to see if that would work since there is such a good surplus of 11.00x20 tires out there...

Section8... love to see some pics of your wheels and know what tires you eventually mount up. How hard are the MLVW wheels to find in your neck of the woods?

Section8

MLVW rims are hard to come by in my neck of the woods for a reasonable price used at any rate.
There are only a couple places I have found to buy new 2 piece rims. I would rather go that route but don't have 3000 dollars plus taxes.
To find these four that I grabbed for 200 bucks is a treat to be sure!
Some may turn their noses at the rims since they are demilitarized, wholes cut out, but to me they are gold!
I have no problem being redneck and fixing what others don't want! LOL! If it works for me its gotta be a sweet find.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did pick up those MLVW rims for 200 bucks for all four of them. One is completely unmolested!
However I still plan on having the hubs turned out and making flat plates in their place.
I did contemplate the duece hubs put in place turned backwards for added backspacing but decided against it in lew of the easier option of flat plates.
Tires will be the next donting task since the rim seat is so deep unless I can score some cheap military surplus which are hard to find in my next of the woods.
Sure wish I could post pics from my blackberry again. Still haven't figured out what I did to make me not be able to post pics.
Maybe I need more coffe this morning, but you lost me here, isn't the M135 already a singled in the rear? with front & rear track width the same?
Aren't the hubs on the M135 just flipped from the M211 configuration, the same as the from the M35A2 to the M35A3?
or are you wanting the rears to stick out farther than the fronts?

Regardless flipping hubs is easier and cheaper than re centering wheels.

Section8

Morning!
Yes the M135 is singled in the rear.
I picked up the rims since I am going to be bobbing my rig. My M135 has on rim with the stud holes mangled due to someone previously not ensuring they were tight before driving. I also have another rim that I am pretty sure is warped. While cleaning and repainting my old rims I noticed that the rim in question would not sit flat on the floor. I even tried different surfaces on other floors to ensure that it wasn't my imagination.
In regards to the hub part. I am not wanting to widen the rear out farther than the front. The stud holes on three of the four rims I boughthave a couple cut out to the centre so that they are to be rendered unusable.
I am wanting to take them to a metal fab shop to have them "turned out" to remove them flushly to be able to re weld and bolt a flat hub face, plate, to be able to use the rims. That is all.
Plus the MLVW rims would also allow me to run a larger tire a little safer than trying to squeeze a large tire on the stock rim that has stamped on it "do not exceed 1100 tire size".

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aren't the hubs on the M135 just flipped from the M211 configuration, the same as the from the M35A2 to the M35A3?
No. The Drums mount to the same flanges that the wheels mount to on these trucks. You flip the hub, you move the drum outward and expose the brake shoes. On the M35 the drum mounts to the edge of the hub. This does not change the position of the drum relative to the shes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks