• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 smaller steering wheel

wmmscott

I have an M35A3. It has the same large steering wheel as the previous M35 versions, but the previous ones did not have power steerng, as mine does. I am looking for a smaller diameter steering wheel because of my gut size. I know that the M800 series trucks use the same mounting, but their steering wheel is only about 1" smaller. Can someone tell me what may mount up but is 3" or more smaler?

JJensen

You can take loose the colum mount and lift it and redrill the holes and gain about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
I haven't looked, but I assume that you take it loose at the firewall and the dash? Or is it not even bolted at the firewall? I need some leg room, and this will help.

redthegreendog

I've driven then and worked on them. they have a wheel like the one in the Humvee. just make sure to turn on the air to the power steering assist. its a real B@%^& to turn without it. Trust me I've done it.

R Racing

I haven't looked, but I assume that you take it loose at the firewall and the dash? Or is it not even bolted at the firewall? I need some leg room, and this will help.
Yes I have seen on M35A2s and 5 tons were the shaft mount has been lifted up tight against the dash and the holes redrilled to give more leg and belly room.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A3 has a smaller diameter wheel than my A2. I'm travelling at present so I cannot measure the two wheels. Two inch smaller diameter sounds about right though.

JasonS

Yes I have seen on M35A2s and 5 tons were the shaft mount has been lifted up tight against the dash and the holes redrilled to give more leg and belly room.

How does this work on the M35a2 where the steering column is one piece all the way to the box?

R Racing

The A2 I saw it done on had a upgraded power steering so it didn't use the 1 peice unit. It was closer to the 5 ton set up and used a aftermarket box. Sorry if I made it sound like you could do it to all A2s . But were there is a will there is a way ;-)

Welder Sam

Theres plenty of want to and ability here. Not to mention the fatboy issues that make it a Need to. Im wondering if a u joint set up would work nicely? Could put it in anywhere thst theres easy access to the shaft. I would think a tractor pto shaft type would be plenty strong

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious if there would there be any highway benefit with the older a2 wheel on my A3?
The only benefit for using the A2 20-inch wheel instead of the A3 18-inch wheel is more leverage when turning the wheel. If your Air-O-Matic is working, you don't need the extra leverage and all you do is minimize the room behind the wheel. I've seen a lot of NOS A3 18-inch wheels for sale if you want to change it out.

motomacguyver

Not to Hijack, but Does anyone have a steering wheel puller they would RENT to a reputable member?

FWIW, I have listed a couple of things in the classifieds for free lately, just a way of "paying it forward"

Thanks in advance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks