• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a3 split rim o-ring issue / wrong part?

AnonymousOne

Hi,

Forgive me for posting something that has been posted before but I have spent a few hours looking for something but haven't found anything that talks about my issue .. so on that note ...

I have a few slow leaks on 2 of my tires (go figure - LOL) so in anticipation of changing rotted seals in the tires I purchase split rim o-rings.
http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rimofortwopi.html

But when I got the rim apart I found a completely different o-ring ... based on my research it is a Double ring with one side a D-ring which the flat part goes against the steel rim to prevent twisting / extends life.

Compared to the replacement part I purchased the thing I found in the rim is at least twice as thick, higher quality material, and I actually like the idea of the D-ring to extend life.

As this particular tire was leaking at the CTIS and not at the D-Ring ... I am interested in putting in a o-ring that will last and this thing has peaked my interest.

Two questions:

1. I have a 1994 standard M35a3 split rim ... is the black o-ring part from Erik's right ... would it work?

2. Are there better o-rings I should be using to get longer life / better seal / part number / from where ?

See attached pictures for reference ... the orange one is the one I found in the rim. The black one is the new replacement I just bought.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks like soldier B put your rims together. I have not seen orange O-rings in an A3 rim till now. I bet they put any O-ring they had in the motor pool in your rim. The one from Erik's is what I'm used to seeing. I bet the orange one was a hemtt O-ring, but looks like a "D" since it was clamped in the rim.

tomcata3

You want the skinny o-rings, that is what I have found in my rims.
Your rims where probably leaking because it was the fat o-ring, or had some rust like mine ( on skinny)
You can buy those o-rings from a big truck tire place for $8

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you make sure it wasn't the rubber grommet at the turret that's leaking? While you have it apart, better replace them and make sure the turret nut is torqued properly afterwards. I had two orings and turret grommets replaced, the grommets are still leaking, the shop must not have torqued them to spec.

AnonymousOne

Thanks everyone ... Black new o-ring it is :) Thanks Patriot, I did get spare nuts and grommets for the CTIS pipe that enters the wheel. As you pointed out, that appears to the be the weak point for me (major rust build up and I can't even see the grommet under there).

welldigger

While you have your wheels apart clean up the rust in the groove and paint it. This will help with sealing and future rust. Had my wheels powder coated cause they were starting to get a little rough looking on the inside. Hopefully no more rust for me...ever.

Deuce007

Are you planning on putting anything on the o-ring before you put it in? I would highly suggest putting something called sil-glyde on the o-ring to help it seal and prevent and small leaks around the o-ring. You can find it at napa.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks